openHAB binding for meater probes

I will start to create a binding for the Meater probes offered by https://meater.com/.

Public API available on:

I will keep you updated of the work in this thread.

8 Likes

@jannegpriv , any updated/progress on this topic? Thanks!

I have a first version that you can test:
jar-file
README

2 Likes

@jannegpriv , thank you. Binding installed without problems, bridge is online, meater is online and cloud is activated - but there are no probes showing up in the inbox.
Question: I do have a meater BLOCK with four probes. Could this be the problem?

Managed to find out the IDs via the REST API from Meater and installed the probes manually as workaround :slight_smile:

But besides the not working discovery, the binding works like a charm - thank you!

Thanks for testing! :slight_smile:

It seems like the API call for devices gets empty array when you are not connected via the app at the same time, when I connect via the Meater app the API starts to respond correctly.

I will add that info to the README file.

Hello, I could not login to meater api, always get the following message:

Failed to refresh! org.eclipse.jetty.client.HttpResponseException: HTTP protocol violation: Authentication challenge without WWW-Authenticate header

Can somebody help?
Best regards
Martin

Hi again,

my account is connected now, Meater Block is onlne and also the app, but I don’t see any probes. How can I get the Probe Ids to connect them manually?

Go into Settings → Things → Blue “+” button at the botttom → Meater → Scan . The probes, if connected to the meater cloud, will show up as things to be added.

@jannegpriv Great binding! You should open up a PR to get this into the main addons. I’m not sure what i’m going to do with this integration yet in my own home, but i love my meater probes, so i’ll figure out something! Actually after thinking about it for 2 mins, wiring this up to Alexa so she announces when something is ready or close to being ready sounds pretty useful.

I didn’t know about meater until I read about it here. Now I want one!

Did you guys consider The MeatStick too?

The meatstick says it can be used in a deepfryer (it can be fully submerged in the cooking oil). It is also dishwasher safe. This made me lean more towards getting the meatstick. However, from quick googling, they don’t have a public api.

Hmmm…

Meatstick looks pretty cool, have not seen that one before.

My 2 cents on Meater…i’m a pretty serious cook, but I’m not a kitchen gadget person (which is ironic since i love gadgets for just about everything else). My meater probes have become one of my favorite kitchen tools over the last 2 years that I have owned them. They have super long battery life, easy to clean, durable, accurate, the mobile app is great, and they just work…all the time. I have the 4 meater block, and i use all of them. If i’m roasting a bird I will put one in each breast, a large turkey and i’ll use all 4. I also do long slow cooks on a kamado style grill outside, and have never had a battery issue, which is pretty amazing give how small the probes are.

I have been noticing more and more online chefs have been using these in their shows/videos, but not promotionally, which i think is pretty telling of how useful they are.

2 Likes

@jannegpriv Jan - great attempt - have been thinking about that binding for a long!

Jan - can you also compile 2.x version ? Since the one I download is missing org.openhab.core.config.discovery dependencies :frowning:

I do not have a 2.x environment so I’m not able to create a 2.x version. Switch to 3.x, it is a huge step forward.

Hi @digitaldan, I will open a PR.

Updated jar-file for 3.4.0.
README

Updated jar-file for 3.4.0 after review. Language support has been added.
README

I’m using the MEATER Block but after creating the MEATER Cloud REST API, it doesn’t matter if I enter the correct password. The thing goes Online anyway.

But when I start a scan, I don’t find any probes.

Which version are you running?
Are you configuring via things file or GUI?

I’m using:
openHAB 3.4.2 - Release Build.

I’ve installed the Bindinge via GUI and I also configured the Binding via the GUI.