openHAB Cloud "class org.json.JSONObject cannot be cast to class org.json.JSONObject"

Hi there,

I’m having trouble conneting to my openHAB instance remotely since a couple of days. It appears online, but connecting is not possible and also alexa is always telling me, that my devices are not responding. I did not change anything since then, as far as I know, and I can’t wrap my head around this error message:

2022-08-08 14:47:31.816 [ERROR] [io.socket.thread.EventThread        ] - Task threw exception

java.lang.ClassCastException: class org.json.JSONObject cannot be cast to class org.json.JSONObject (org.json.JSONObject is in unnamed module of loader org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.EquinoxClassLoader @6dce91e4; org.json.JSONObject is in unnamed module of loader org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.EquinoxClassLoader @3d112869)

at org.openhab.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient$12.call(CloudClient.java:304) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.emitter.Emitter.emit(Emitter.java:117) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.client.Socket.onevent(Socket.java:338) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Socket.onpacket(Socket.java:289) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Socket.access$100(Socket.java:24) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Socket$2$2.call(Socket.java:120) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Manager.ondecoded(Manager.java:431) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Manager.access$1600(Manager.java:30) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Manager$7.call(Manager.java:407) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.parser.IOParser$Decoder.add(IOParser.java:105) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Manager.ondata(Manager.java:423) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Manager.access$1000(Manager.java:30) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.client.Manager$2.call(Manager.java:374) ~[?:?]

at io.socket.engineio.client.Socket.onPacket(Socket.java:551) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.engineio.client.Socket.access$1000(Socket.java:36) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.engineio.client.Socket$5.call(Socket.java:335) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.engineio.client.Transport.onPacket(Transport.java:126) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.engineio.client.Transport.onData(Transport.java:118) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.engineio.client.transports.WebSocket.access$100(WebSocket.java:24) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.engineio.client.transports.WebSocket$1$2.run(WebSocket.java:71) ~[bundleFile:?]

at io.socket.thread.EventThread$2.run(EventThread.java:80) [bundleFile:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128) [?:?]

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628) [?:?]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829) [?:?]

The error occurres every time I try to connect through myopenhab or sending a command through alexa. There is no other messages, although I set the logging to TRACE. I’m running openhab 3.3 in a docker container (latest-debian). I already cleared userdata, keeping only jsondbs and /conf folder and reinstalled the whole docker image without success.

Can anybody help me pin down the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Janis

Hi,
I can’t help but I have exactly the same problem a few days after updating from 3.2 to 3.3. I am running Openhabian on a raspberry pi. The logs showing the same errors.
Amazon binding also doesn’t work anymore.

Hope that someone can help here.

Hi,

I just solved it for my setup with a lot of trial and error. Turns out, I actually did change my setup recently. I installed the binding Solar Forecast PV. After uninstalling it, it started to work again. Do you have this binding installed? Or maybe some other binding, that communicates via json, is causing the issue for you?

Regards,
Janis

Hi,
you are right I have also installed the solar forecast PV binding. I will try it with uninstalling this binding when I’m back home.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,
thanks for the hint… uninstalling the bundle also resolved the problem immediately in my setup. I reported the issue to the Solar Forecast developer via the marketplace.

Looks like a version dependency issue which is fixed in v0.5 now.

I’m just curious why this doesn’t happend on my side. Running also OH3.3 with Cloud Connector which I use all the time. Maybe this issue appears only after updating but I cannot explain 100%.

Nevertheless the version fix is absolutely necessary so please give the new version a try.

1 Like

No more exceptions in log after installing v0.5 :+1:

1 Like

Unfortunatly I’m still having this issue, even with the v0.5.

I tried uninstalling but I ended up in this weird state where i’m somewhere in between:

The bindings page
The page of the binding itself:

The error:

2022-10-18 20:39:34.140 [ERROR] [io.socket.thread.EventThread        ] - Task threw exception
java.lang.ClassCastException: class org.json.JSONObject cannot be cast to class org.json.JSONObject (org.json.JSONObject is in unnamed module of loader org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.EquinoxClassLoader @1f65637; org.json.JSONObject is in unnamed module of loader org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.EquinoxClassLoader @16ff8e6)
	at org.openhab.io.openhabcloud.internal.CloudClient$12.call(CloudClient.java:304) ~[?:?]

Hey future self, when this happens again you have to:

• remove the Solar Forecast PV from the marketplace
  • stop openhab (systemctl stop openhab.service)
  • clear cache (sudo openhab-cli clean-cache)
  • wait until cache is cleaned before restarting (check if tmp folder exists)
  • in the userdata/marketplace folder remove everything under bundles and kar
  • in the userdata/kar folder remove everything

This fixed the error.

Any other ideas on this? I’m getting this error now after upgrading to 4.0.0 M3. It shows up whenever I try to use Alexa to send a command to OH, but my Openhab → Alexa TTS works fine.

I don’t currently, nor never have had this Solar Forecast PV binding installed. Tried clearing cache, removing bundles in the marketplace folder too.

Just did some testing and this time it was the Ambient Weather binding. Removing that fixes it, but I’m using that with my weatherstation. Perhaps I have to update some values with the new Meta data info. Either way, the Alexa commands are working for me again.