openHAB friendly Motion Sensor Suggestions

@sihui you are in Germany. Any suggestions?

No, sorry, I am using the FGMS001 without any issues since roundabout 5 years.

1 Like

Actually I donā€™t think the Dome is available anywhere anymore

I know this is an old post but I already replaced one Neo Coolcam sensor for being a battery hog (3 in a year). I am getting ready to replace my other 2 due to sometimes not waking up to detect motion. They are at the top and bottom of a staircase and both files for me this morning. After the second one failed I waved my hand and it woke up ;(

I see Fibaro sensors appear to be failing after a couple of years. What are current good experiences for indoor PIR sensors. I really only need motion.

Are you asking me for a recommendation Bruce? I thought you really liked the new Zooz model, I havenā€™t tried the new Zooz yet. I guess for the U.S. market, I would say the Fibaro seems the best of the ones Iā€™ve tried. When I started this thread, the main thing I had against the Fibaro was the price. Two years ago, it was $70, now it is available for $35 - $40, so that makes it a little more reasonable in my eyes. Also, at the time, being pricey was based on what the other ones cost. Two years later, after throwing most of them out, the price seems less important and reliability seems much more important. The Dome still works, but is no longer available.

Overall, Iā€™m pretty disappointed with all of them, It seems to me this shouldnā€™t be so hard. Motion sensors seem like a really basic functionality for a smart home but as time has past and Iā€™ve gained more experience, Iā€™ve learn to rely on other methods to discern presence.

I have one of the smaller indoor sensors and I cannot say for certain how well it operates. Perhaps I should swap it with one of the Coolcam ones.

I have one of their outdoor sensors that replaced my battery hog. I actually have a second one still in box but they are rather bulky They use standard (3 x AA) batteries. My Coolcam ones look like the Fibaro ones, but without the coloured lights.

Right, I should mention that my use case is all indoors. Alsoā€¦

Iā€™m sure you have been around here long enough to know, physically moving zwave devices around is going to bugger up the mesh and to expect some funkyness until things reroute themselves.

I actually checked out the Neo coolcam ones back then. They (at the time) had two models. One looked exactly like the Dome and the other looked exactly like the Fibaro. They also had identical features. The fibaro looking one had seismic sensor, the Dome looking one did not. My strong suspicion is that they are the same and simply rebranded. I also think that perhaps the only difference between the coolcam and fibaro may be the firmware. Fibaro seems to have continued to developed the firmware and that could make all the difference if you ask me.
Just as anecdotal information, my fibaro is two years old and still using the original battery. Iā€™ve replaced the Dome battery once in the same period of time, not bad and the Dome could have simply been in a higher traffic area and woke more often, thus leading to quicker battery depletion.
The reason I think the firmware could make the difference with identical hardware is based on playing around with esp8266 and trying to get them to work with batteries, my craftness with writing the firmware makes all the difference with battery life. (still learning)

Iā€™ve found the colored lights to be perfectly useless

1 Like

I also think the Coolcam radios, even on their plugs, are weak. I started with Cooclam devives because they were cheap for the hobby.

This Christmas I actually found the Coolcam plug performed better that the lower end Zooz. One year I had an LED Christmas tree & a homemade LED star plugged into the Zooz & it overloaded. Zooz ended up replacing it with their heavy duty model as a courtesy since I have been dealing with them. The Coolcam plug performed with no issues this past year.

OK, so they may be worth a try then. I sometimes wonder about Zooz quality control but their support is unrivaled IMO.

I have multiple fibaro motion sensors that have been running from early 2016. I think they are great in every aspect but price.

1 Like

He is my two bits worth. I had been using three X10 motion detectors that use radio frequency to one base unit that then delivers X10 commands over my houseā€™s 120V wiring. My app is to circulate domestic hot water to the far reaches of my McMansion on demand.

The detectors are cheap, small, light-weight, extremely reliable, and powered by two AAA batteries that last 3 years. They are ideal for bathrooms. My setup worked pretty well for twenty years, but with more exotic loads (e.g. electrically noisy LED lights) of late, X10 signalling over the house circuits is no longer reliable. (As if X10 signalling was ever reliable.)

So I bought some tp-link HS103 smart sockets for seven bucks each. The old base unit simply powers up a smart socket. I have a rule/script that is triggered by that smart socket transitioning from OFFLINE which then turns ON my DHW recirculation pump for a few minutes.

The reaction time is quite acceptable for my application. The smart socket boots and is available within two seconds of receiving power. The openHAB machinery detects the OFFLINE transition within another five seconds.

The absolute best part is that I do not have to reprogram a motion detector each time I change its batteries. Here is a picture of my deployed hack: the X10 base unit, a 2ā†’3 prong adapter, and a smart socket with nothing plugged into it.