openHAB friendly Motion Sensor Suggestions

Oliver, I followed the link in your post and checked out the Neo online. They actually show two different versions of PIR sensors. What is funny to me is both sensors look very much like the fibaro and dome sensors which themselves also look very similar to one another.
I had noticed the Fibaro and the Dome look very similar. The biggest difference is the Dome has a magnet mount in the back which attaches to a swivel and the Fibaro instead offers a small plastic clip. The LED is different and the case is slightly different but I had wondered if they perhaps were made by the same manufacturer. Rebranding these devices seems common. What is odd is the two models sold by Neo, one closely resembles the Fibaro with a clip mount and the other resembles the Dome with the magnetic mount
How does your Neo motion sensor work?

Does this device require I have the ā€œHue Hubā€ to make it workā€¦ or if I install the Hue Binding into my openHAB2ā€¦ it will work without the HUB?
Thanks! Dave

Wellā€¦another big issue I realizeā€¦ the Hue system is ZigBee-basedā€¦ and this will directly interfere with normal 2.4Ghz WiFi. Yikes. I have Ubiquiti Unifi WiFi Access Points throughout my houseā€¦ and if I add any ZibBee stuffā€¦ they will directly interfere with my WiFi.

WiFiā€™s three non-overlapping channels (1, 6, and 11) use the exact same frequencies as ZigBee channels 11-22. Iā€™ve now read that ZigBee channel 26 is usually relatively unaffected by WiFi, but many ZigBee devices do not support it.

Can you specifically select the frequency (ie Channel 26) to be used by these ZigBee Hue sensors?

Iā€™m not sure I want to get into the issues of my WiFi not working or the Hue stuff not working reliablyā€¦ Hmm.

What is the experience out in openHAB land of mixing ZigBee and WiFi???

thanks
Dave

Definitely an interference issue when installing ZigBee in a standard 802.11n (2.4 Ghz) environment. Hmmm. I think it will be only safe if I can force ZigBee Channel 26 to be used.

I use the Hue binding with a Hue bridge and hue bulbs, dimmer remote and motion sensor. I also have a zigbee dongle and several other zigbee devices. I also have lot of WiFi connections, laptop, Lifx bulbs (which run on wifi) WiFi plugs ect. and no interference problems.

Thatā€™s wonderful, Andrew. Do you know what WiFi channels your Access Points or WiFi Router is using?

Maybe in your situation you are not using all the WiFi bandwidthā€¦ and your ZigBee devices are using open frequenciesā€¦ which would be great.

I know in my setup, I am using WiFi channels 1, 6, 11 for my 3 Access Points, which provide excellent WiFi coverage throughout. I am very hesitant to disable one of the channels and have to go to something like this:

So I am curious about how others make ZigBee work properly/reliably with WiFi.
Thanks for your reply.
Dave

Just wanted to check back in and say that it seems my sensors do report battery state after all, because I finally had some completely stop responding and when I replaced the battery they reported 100% again. The problem seems to be that their scale must be nowhere near correct because my sensors worked for months at ā€œ0%ā€ (so long that I thought the channel was just broken) before they actually died. I think that may explain some of the reviews reporting poor battery life too, because if youā€™re going strictly by the reported battery percentage you only get a few months out of them but mine lasted well over 6 months of regular use as presence detection and what I feel is fairly aggressive temperature/light logging set at reporting at 3 degree (down from the default of 10) and 5%(? not sure what their percent translates to - but down from the default of 10) changes.

I saw several folks report same on amazon, I think voltage range is wacked

Hey Andrew, where have you landed after your extensive testing?

Iā€™ve been testing the Aeotec Multisensor 6. I like that it can be powered by an included USB cable (so it never goes to sleep), but as someone else noted the motion detection range and sensitivity is not very good. Itā€™s supposed to be five metres at max sensitivity, but I can stand directly in front of it well within that range and not trigger it.

Iā€™m tempted to try the Fibaro, and have a Zooz that I need to experiment with a bit. I just wish they didnā€™t use CR123A batteries.

First, I had never used zwave, only zigbee, and Iā€™m impressed with zwave. Seems much more reliable and greater configuration

My choice of the three zwave motion sensors Iā€™ve tried would be the Dome. Does everything the fibaro does for half the price. Dome has nice mount options, fibaro has little plastic clip and one screw. In fact Iā€™m probably going to order a couple more. People warned me the Aerotec 6 motion sensor was a little flaky at motion and motion was my main criterion. I did really like the idea of main power instead of batteries though.
Also, I needed a door contact and went with the Aerotec 5 door/window switch and like it a lot.

pass on the Zooz/ Monoprice motion sensor, no fast reset, clunky, slow

But I was happy with the smart things and iris motion sensors for the first 4 months. The real important thing in my book is how long they last. All arrived with batteries reporting full charge. All still reporting full charge (100%) at 4 months

Thanks! Unfortunately for me, Dome doesnā€™t have a temperature sensor and thatā€™s one of my criteria, along with motion and light. I might just have to figure out a better spot for the Aeotec and live with its motion limitations.

I also have an old Wemo Motion sensor that still works (and has great motion sensitivity), which I was trying to replace. Itā€™ll work great for months, then give me a few weeks of headaches with constant disconnects.

Correction:ā€¦ I have got the Phillips Hue and Monoprice motion sensors working again with fresh batteries.

Both use two AAA batteries and they seem to last 5 - 6 months

The Dome and Fibaro are both still working at roughly the 5 or 6 month mark. Both use the cr123 battery and both are still reporting 100% battery levels

I ended up getting the Monoprice 4-in-1 and returning the Aeotec, because the Monoprice cost much less and I can live with AA batteries. More importantly, I bought a Netgear Orbi router that has dramatically improved the stability of all of my WiFi devices and made my Wemo Motion much more reliable. The combination will work well enough until something better comes along.

Iā€™ve also noticed that my Monoprice is reporting 100% battery after a full month of usage, so Iā€™m curious if itā€™ll ever change.

I have an RBK50 on the way myself. My wonderful old Netgear R7000 is starting to reboot itself several times a day taking several minutes to come back up, if it comes up at all. Time to upgrade.

If you are looking to do any integration with OH, Iā€™ve read so far that it supports SNMP and there is a Python program you can use to interact with it remotely.

No integration plansā€¦all I need is for it to be stable. Iā€™m running the Orbi in Access Point mode and letting my ADSL modem do the routing. The only downside is that AP mode disables a bunch of Orbiā€™s value-add features (the same goes for TP-Linkā€™s Deco routers), but thereā€™s nothing I really need.

I could put the modem in bridge mode and move the routing to the Orbi, but Iā€™m working on the ā€œif it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€ methodology.

Yep, Iā€™m aware. I will do the same, only letting my pfSense box serve out DHCP and DNS. I chose the Orbi because it doesnā€™t get as degraded in AP/bridging mode as Google Wifi, it was faster than the Deco and eeros, and it had support for local configuration (Deco and eero require configuration through a cloud service). I looked at the Ubiquity stuff but it was way more complicated than I wanted, and it wasnā€™t clear whether I could do a wireless mesh for the back end instead of wired.

Iā€™ll probably look into that python script to see if I can do stuff faster or more reliably than the Network binding for presence detection and online/offline detection.

Would also recommend fibaro. I own 6 of them and have replaced other motion detectors because they are not as good. A big plus for fibaro is that itā€™s very configurable, can also recommend using associations for turning on more quickly as well as it will work when openhab is offline.

Regards s

I just finished testing the Zooz ZSE18 PIR & vibration sensor. It can be either USB powered or battery powered. I will be updating our database entryā€¦

For USB power, you can include the device using a long press of the button and it will stay awake, even if later switched to battery.

The current manual is incorrect. You need to triple-click the button to wake up the device. I have suggested to Zooz that they have it stay awake for 5 minutes during inclusion.

I have a number of Z-Wave Vision ZP3102 - Gen5 Motion Sensors. They all seem to work very well with in my network. They also report the ambient air temperature as a bonus. Battery life is good once using replacement batteries, as the ones supplied donā€™t last much longer than 6 months.

They are very easy to setup, put the controller into include mode, then insert the supplied battery. After a few seconds the device will appear in OpenHAB as a new Thing.

Iā€™m also using two Z-Wave Everspring SP816 Indoor/Outdoor Motion Detectors. They also seem to be working very well with in my network. Iā€™ve only had then a few months so canā€™t report on the battery life, but havenā€™t changed them yet although as they are both outside and Winter is arriving that may change things a little.

Again setup was very straight forward.

Happy to answer any questions.

Regards,

Garry

I found this post because I am looking for alternative for my Fibaro motion sensors. I have 11 of them, all 3-4 years old and they seem to dying.

Pls see my post here:

Reports on the Fibaro forum:

Seems that there is a hardware of firmware problem.
I definitely would not go for Fibaro motion sensors again.

Now I am looking for alternatives with a similar form factor. Unfortunately Dome seems not to be available in Germany.

If you have any recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks

Bodo