openHAB Google Assistant Integration v2.0

Thanks for all your help so far but no matter what I do my thermostat either says “offline” or that it’s in “other” mode and I can’t control it from the Google home app or voice. I’m gonna throw a copy of my item file up when I get back to my computer in a bit see if anybody can figure out what I’m doing wrong.

edit : here is the item file

I think Aux-Heat mode is a problem. Pls check here from the avaiable modes what Google can recongnize: https://developers.google.com/assistant/smarthome/traits/temperaturesetting.html
If you would like to use Aux-heat, I think you need to use a kind of virtual item for google mode change and a rule when google changes the mode it changes the real item. There you can create a map what translate e.g. heatcool to Aux-cool. Till I had similar set up like yours without this solution it was not working.

Yes, as said before. Please stick to the official modes supported by Google (link shared by kovacsi2899). Also with the correct case (all lowercase).
You can use the mode mapping to reflect the modes supported by your device. Again, have a look at the documentation and ask again for help if necessary.

To map the default thermostat modes of Google (on, off, heat, cool, etc.) to custom ones for your specific setup, you can use the modes config option on the thermostat group. E.g. [ modes=“off=OFF:WINDOW_OPEN,heat=COMFORT:BOOST,eco=ECO,on=ON,auto” ] will enable the following five modes in Google Home “off, heat, eco, on, auto” that will be translated to “OFF, COMFORT, ECO, ON, auto”. You can specify alternative conversions using the colon sign, so that in the former example “BOOST” in openHAB would also be translated to “heat” in Google. For the translation of Google modes to openHAB always the first option after the equal sign is used. By default the integration will provide “off,heat,cool,on,heatcool,auto,eco”.

So let me make sure I have this right. I need to make all the modes lower case and use only supported mode names. To translate Google supported mode names to the ones my thermostat uses I use “=”? Do I have to have all modes that my thermostat supports in there or just the ones I will actually use? Like aux heat is not actually used. My “auto” is the same as Google’s “heatcool” so I just set it in my mode list as " heatcool=Auto" ? And can the new integration support two setpoints (one for heat and one for cool) on one thermostat?

Who is behind that tool?? Its asking for username/pw… I sure would like to know who has this tool before given my username/pw…

I was worried about this as well. It came from here

I have no idea who he is. He probably did this tool just to help, and therefore have no interest in doing any harm. But I´m getting worried when someone ask for username and pw, even for a tool like that.
At least thats my opinion.

I agree. I changed my password, ran the tool, then changed it back. The tool really helped me get my issues fixed. Obviously, there is a risk anytime you share a password so act accordingly… :face_with_monocle:

Hi Michi,

thank you for the reply. Not what I hoped to hear, but expected :wink: .In my case it is only one room which one light, so I can handle it as it is right now with different names.

Kindly,
Woogi

Can anyone confirm wether the camera tag works with the google assistant integration in a danish google assistant (Google Home) setup?

I have been struggling with this for a few days, and I simply cant get it to work. I´m using the ipcamera binding for my cameras, but I´m almost sure, this is not a binding setup issue.

As far as I can read elsewhere, Google Nest Hello devices (Google cams) are working just fine using danish Google Home setup. So I would assume the ga=camera tag should be working as well. But when I try asking google to “show frontdoor” or anything simular in danish, Google respons is:
Something went wrong, I cant control you Google device right now”. (translated from danish to english).

In the ipcamera binding there is a swich which is activating when a device ask for the streaming. This switch does NOT turn on when I ask though Google. But if I start the streaming from Microsoft Edge, the switch turns on, and the streaming starts just fine.
That tells me, the command for Google “show frontdoor” never gets through to openhab/the binding, when using Google Home devices and the camera tag. And therefore its most probably a Google issue.
Using english Google Assistant setup this is not an issue at all. On their openhab system, the switch activates, and the streaming start just fine when the ask their Home/Nest hubs to “show cameraname”.

Thats why I ask if anyone can confirm, the GA integration using the camera tag do not work for the danish language (or maybe even other languages as well except english).

This is my items:

String Dahua1ForHub     "hovedindgang forhaven"     { channel="ipcamera:DAHUA:DAHUA1:hlsUrl", ga="Camera" [ protocols="hls" ] }

The icon appear fine in the Google Home app… I just cant control it in anyway without getting the error respons mentioned above :frowning:

Btw… Synonyms doest not seem to work. I tried adding a few synonyms to the item, but everytime I used any of the synonyms, Google thought I was searching for something, and did a search on the internet insted. Using the label will result in the mentioned error above.

Works perfectly fine in swedish.

AARGH!!! :scream:

This is really getting on my nerves now… Waiting for someone using danish who can confirm… But I´m afraid if it works in swedish, then it problem should work in danish as well… But for some reason, not on my system. And I dont know where to look or how to fix/troubleshoot.

OK. I am obviously missing something with the new tags. Thermostat worked before the 2.0 and for a bit after but now I can’t get it to work. It shows up in the home app but it always shows as “offline” or in “other” mode and cannot be controlled. It works fine thru paperui.
Here is my current item file. can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong? I only have the cooling side in there right now for troubleshooting. I have no problem having heat and cool on separate controls if needed ( had to before 2.0) but would like them on the same if possible. Thanks in advance!

The command to show a camera on the nest hub is “stream cameraname”, in swedish “strömma kameranamn”. If you ask it to “show cameraname” you will get that error message you wrote earlier.

So try “strøm hoveddør”. Or what it might be in Danish…

We havn´t got a clear translate from stream in danish. Stream will actually translate to “strøm”, which means “current or float” in english.
I tried anyway. “stream” and “strøm” - I end up with the “sorry dont know how to help you with that”.

According to the official danish Google Assistant doc, I should be using “View cameraname” or “Show camera name” which translated to danish means “Vis kameranavn”. And this is where I get the very unusual respons, "Something went wrong… ".

I´m very frustrated about where or how to troubleshoot this one…
Is it the ffmpeg settings in the ipcamera binding, which for some reason isnt GA compatible. Or is it an openhab GA integration. Or is it a Google Assistant API issue.
If I had a Google Nest camera connected directly to the Google Home app, it would be working just fine in danish using the “vis kameranavn”.

I´m simply running out of ideas :frowning:

Hi, looking at your items file it shows that your modes item is of type Number but you are mapping to String values in your modes configuration:

modes="heat=Heat,heatcool=Auto,off=Off,cool=Cool,on=On"

It should be more like heat=1,off=0
or change your item type if you expect string values.

I have tried both in the past - before v2 it wouldn’t work at all with string - but I’ll try again with string when I get home. Is there any other issues that stood out? And I think to add the heating setpoint (they are separate setpoints on the same thermostat) I would use [temperaturesetpointlow] for heat and [temperaturesetpointhigh] for the cooling setpoint or do I use something else? Or do I need to expose them as separate thermostats?

After changing to string it allows me to control but when I first open it it claims to be in “other” mode and only after telling it to change mode to “cool” (which it actually already is in) will it let me control. Interestingly I can control via voice.

Seems like I have moved one big step forward a “reason”…
My streaming is working just fine. But only if I pick up my phone, start the Google Assistant and tell Google to “show (cameraname) on (device)” Then my home hub will start streaming just fine.

But if I aks the home hub to “show (cameraname)” I get the above error, “something went wrong…”

Its highly strange… But at least I no longer have to deal with the videoformat beeing wrong!