openHAB Google Assistant Integration v2.0

Ahh so fx “heat” update the item to = 1, “cool” = 2 etc ? That is a logic way I would say, and sure makes sense…

But this doesnt help you much, if you cant get the communication to GA to work proberly. Its mainly tells us which issues you´ve got.

I have a single test temperature sensor running. (Aeotech Mutilsensor6).
I have the group tagged [ “Thermostat” ] and then just the temperature sensor item [ “CurrentTemperature” ].
(I do have the targetHeatingCoolingMode as well, but it doesnt work. And it doesnt make any sense having either, as this is not a thermostat (not even functioning as a thermostat)). I just added the String item to see what will happen. ie… nothing!

Group     g_zwave_TSTAT                                   "Zwave Thermostat"                                                                        [ "Thermostat" ]
String    ZwaveThermostatMode                             "Zwave thermostat Mode [%s]"                                (g_zwave_TSTAT)               [ "homekit:TargetHeatingCoolingMode" ]
Number    ZWaveNode5ZW100MultiSensor6_SensorTemperature   "Multisensor6 Temperatur Sensor [%.1f °C]"   <cu_heating>   (Temperatur,g_zwave_TSTAT)    [ "CurrentTemperature" ]   {channel="zwave:device:zstick:node5:sensor_temperature"} 

This is how it poses in GH app:

Notice is say 24 under the wheel. Thats the actual temperature from the sensor right now.
So a simple setup just showing the actual temperature should work just fine.
The wheel is grey out cause I have not set the setpoint.
The heatingcooling mode (where is says “Varmetilstand”) is grey out, cause I havn´t set the targetHeatingCoolingMode.

This is a good way to try find whatever issue you may be having.

Temperature item does same thing - no readout and blank dial.

The weird thing is before the 2.0 rollout it worked (just not always stable as some parts of the old setup were less stable). I of course didn’t have the “homekit” tags in it at the time because those were making the old system fail for everyone. But now it won’t work.

It is very odd… I have no idea whats going on… It seem to me, that for some reason the items don´t get through to the GA integration.
I wonder if it could be your items file which is somehow faulty… A way to test this is to use BasicUI and setup an sitemap. Have you tried that?

I have the same problem as @Hotrodwinston. I setup mine through PaperUI and it worked also until sometime recently. I added back the homekit: tag preface to see if that would make a difference, but it did not. I can’t say whether or not it was the update. Here is my thermostat group and all the items:

{
“members”: [{
“link”: “http://openhab:8080/rest/items/Thermostat_SetpointCooling”,
“state”: “76”,
“stateDescription”: {
“pattern”: “%.0f”,
“readOnly”: false,
“options”: []
},
“editable”: false,
“type”: “Number”,
“name”: “Thermostat_SetpointCooling”,
“label”: “Family Room Setpoint (cooling)”,
“category”: “Temperature”,
“tags”: [“homekit:TargetTemperature”],
“groupNames”: [“gFamRmThermostat”]
}, {
“link”: “http://openhab:8080/rest/items/Thermostat_TemperatureSensor”,
“state”: “76”,
“name”: “Thermostat_TemperatureSensor”,
“label”: “Family Room Temperature [%.1f °F]”,
“tags”: [“CurrentTemperature”],
“groupNames”: [“gTemperature”, “gFamilyRoom”, “gFamRmThermostat”]
}, {
“link”: “http://openhab:8080/rest/items/Thermostat_Mode”,
“state”: “2”,
“stateDescription”: {
“pattern”: “%s”,
“readOnly”: false,
“options”: [{
“value”: “3”,
“label”: “Auto”
}, {
“value”: “0”,
“label”: “Off”
}, {
“value”: “11”,
“label”: “Economy Heat”
}, {
“value”: “2”,
“label”: “Cool”
}, {
“value”: “12”,
“label”: “Economy Cool”
}, {
“value”: “1”,
“label”: “Heat”
}, {
“value”: “5”,
“label”: “Resume”
}
]
},
“name”: “Thermostat_Mode”,
“label”: “Family Room Mode”,
“tags”: [“homekit:TargetHeatingCoolingMode”],
“groupNames”: [“gFamilyRoom”, “gFamRmThermostat”]
}
],
“link”: “http://openhab:8080/rest/items/gFamRmThermostat”,
“state”: “NULL”,
“type”: “Group”,
“name”: “gFamRmThermostat”,
“label”: “Family Room Thermostat”,
“tags”: [“Thermostat”, “Fahrenheit”],
“groupNames”: [“gHome”]
}

@elcheekytico and @Hotrodwinston

Just to test and try to find a possible cause, please try remove the “Fahrenheit” in the Thermostat tag so it only contains: [ “Thermostat” ]

There simply has to be something “blocking” the communication to GA integration, as you both seem to have a correct setup, and yet suffering from the exact same problem.

That did it! It looks normal now with temp showing, albeit at 32, and all the other controls, buttons, etc. What does that mean then?

I believe there is a fatal bug in the latest release of the GA integration where “Fahrenheit” used in the Thermostat tag seems to breake the thermostat.
Lets wait an see what Dustin come up with. If he experience the same, we´ll have to notify Michael Krug, (file an issue on github).

Now you had “Fahrenheit” in your thermostat, and now it´s removed… Does you´re temperature still show the same value in Fahrenheit, or is it celcius now?

I believe it’s attempting to report as Celsius.
With Fahrenheit tag:

Without Fahrenheit tag:

1 Like

Only the setpoint seems to report in Celcius, (32). The actual temperature value is still in fahrenheit, probably because this is the direct value read from the temperature sensor, and therefore no need to “transform” to either celcius or fahrenheit.

I can confirm, using , “Fahrenheit” in the [ “Thermostat” ] do indeed break the thermostat so no info gets through (other than an empty thermostat).
I just tried adding “Fahrenheit” to one of my thermostats, and it turned out empty as well.

Group   g_garage_TSTAT    "Garage Termostat"      [ "Thermostat", "Fahrenheit" ]

@michikrug I guess this is a bug allright?

PS. I have filed an issue on github as well.

1 Like

When I ask GA the temperature it just says the thermostat is set to cool and value shows NaN on my Hub.

Seems so. Thanks for checking.
A GitHub issue is the best place for that. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Is that with the “Fahrenheit” ?
It works fine on my Hub. (I´m not using “Fahrenheit”).

That occurs with Farenheit tag. I was concerned that it was without. I will leave it out for now as it will at least tell me the temperature in Farenheit.

I’m away from my system right now but will check when I get back this afternoon.

Is it possible to remove the fahrenheit tag but add the old uom (unit of measure) tag to each item so it shows in units my family can understand?

I dont think so, as this is Google Home app, which needs to know, if the value is in Celcius or Fahrenheit.
And to make it even worse… It´s the setpoint which will become the problem, as the actual temperature is showing whatever value it receives from the item. This means the value of the wheel will be showen in Celcius, and probably if you change the setpoint using the wheel, it will change to a Celcius value. I have no idea how you thermostat will react on this, but it will probably mess up everything or dont work at all.

If I´m correct in this, its a very unfortunate way Google has chosen to do this. It would have made alittle more sense, if both the setpoint and the actual temperature would be as setup. Then you could just continue using it Celcius. As it is now without Fahrenheit, it will be a mix of Fahrenheit temperature and Celcius setpoint.

Hopefully Michael or Marzima will be able to fix it very fast.

Just for the sake of trying I added the uom tag to my cooling since I’m not using it right now it being the cold season in North America. No luck - it still reads setpoint in Celsius. Hope the bug is fixed soon.

Yeah thats what I thought :frowning:

Are there any news when it will be possible to use metadata instead of tags?

I have a strange effect for a dimmable light. Either caused by the openHAB server update or by a recent Google Home App (Android) update. This was working fine a while ago with the same config.
When I start the app fresh and go to the light, it does not know the dimmer level. It only shows OFF or ON and the circle, but no knob and no percentage number.
When I tap around the circle, suddenly I get a knob and percentage number and I can control the light fine.
After another fresh start of the app, the level is gone again.
Look like it cannot get the level from openHAB initially but it does know the level when it is set by the app itself.