Openhab Manual Installation and Java Zulu instalation on Raspberry Pi 0

what do you mean…?
that there is no chance to start Openhab on R Pi 0?

Correct.

First of all, my question was about Java Zulu (for needs of openhab).
Second: two examples of using R Pi 0 and Openhab 2:

No Also there are no official videos from our developers. It is easier to copy things from text, :wink:

I just checked and all the way back to version 2.2 the requirements have been the same.

2.2 was released in December 2017.

ok then, back to my question, what am I doing wrong that i can’t install java?

What version of Raspbian?
It sounds like a Zulu question.

Raspbian is 32 bit

EDIT: Try here.You link was x86_64 only.

I downloaded NOOBS_lite_v3_2 today and install Raspbian, after that i let system made all updates so probably the newest Raspbian.
I took link to Java 8 Zulu from Openhab installation instruction website.
Yes, maybe this is a question to “zulu community” but i tried here, if I met such problem during Openhab installation maybe someone else too…
Could you please help me to change language back to English in Raspbian?
Than i can send you this error…

What was the exact issue? Any errors in log files?

Using openHABian is actually the easiest way to setup a complete OH system on a supported Pi. Much easier than installing all prerequisites manually if you have no previous experience.

BTW, the Pi 0 might just ‘sort of’ work, but is highly underpowered for running OH.

if you are going to try a Pi 0 I would use Raspbian Lite instead of Raspbian. You only need CLI. It is easily installed through NOOBS. Just hit the shift key when booting.

I know I have manually installed Zulu on my Pi 3 but it has been a while.

I just looked there is no Zulu link here.

Pi 2 and greater are needed for openHAB anyway.

1 Like

I used NOOBS lite and it probably contain Raspbian Lite… maybe i should use full Raspbian

That is not an openHABian page.It is an openHAB Download page. It expected the majority of user there to be running x86_64 CPUs.

Actually, the latest NOOBS Lite contains no OS. All are downloaded when selected. NOOBS contains Raspbian though.

Your best bet probably is to go back to openHABian. Your problems related to DS18B20 are not OS specific (you will hit them again if you try the same OH setup) so it’s nonsense to attribute that to openHABian.
It should install but you should reduce or remove the memory consuming parameter -Xms in EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS in /etc/default/openhab2 right after installation.

But Bruce is right: it is definitely not recommended to run OH on a Pi0.
Those few bucks won’t do harm but save you (and us) MANY hours of work.

As I mentioned, I am beginner.
I have found those two movies showing that it is possible without any problem to install Openhab on R Pi 0.
It seemed to me the easiest way, buy R Pi 0, install Openhab and you can easily control temperature, turn on/off lights without and programming etc.
As i see R Pi 2 is at least twice much expensive then Pi 0 but the price wasn’t a problem.
I had a plan to describe it on aquarium forum or prepare a movie for people like me, showing that R Pi 0 and Openhab can be used as a aquarium controller and this is cheap and easy.

I will try with Java 32bit, and let you know.

I do not have a Pi 0 but @vzorglub does (or had if I remember correctly, :thinking:) and he has OH installed so maybe he can help with your issue.

I have a HestiaPi which is a thermostat running on an RPi 0 using openHAB. It runs, but it is so incredibly slow that I would not recommend it. Stick with the recommended minimum of an RPi 2 or better.

As for what I mean by slow…

• 20+ minutes to start up
  • 10+ minutes to load and use any changes to .rules files
  • noticeable lag on the integrated LCD touchscreen
  • noticeable latency when Rules run when triggered near the same time, the RPi 0 only has a single core CPU s even though theoretically you can have two Rules running at the same time, in practice they just run more slowly.

I have a Pi0 dedicated to running mosquitto.
My OH runs on a Mini Fanless HP PC

Would you mind at times checking if to use a different Java provider makes a performance difference ?
Thanks!

Candidates:
https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk8-binaries/releases/download/jdk8u242-b08/OpenJDK8U-jre_arm_linux_hotspot_8u242b08.tar.gz

I’ll see what I can do. That would be an excellent set of tests to do. I’ve not even verified which Java it’s using in the first place. I just assumed Zulu but never actually verified.d