openHAB now has its own fully fledged discussion forum!

Hi all,

We are excited to announce some great news:

openHAB now has its own fully fledged discussion forum!

This is from now on the replacement for the different Google groups that we used for openHAB, openHAB 2 and my.openHAB - all discussions can now be done at the same place.
While we will keep the Google groups active for some while, so that existing discussions can be continued there, we would like to encourage you to start any new discussions in the new forum from now on.

We will send out invitations to all registered users of the Google groups - if this invitation does not reach you for some reason, you can also sign up to the forum yourself anytime.

We hope you like the new forum as much as we do!

Best regards,

Kai, Henry & Thomas E.-E.

16 Likes

Great forum, really love it, but what about a german area, because not everyone speaks fluent english

Regards
Thomas

1 Like

[quote=“teichsta, post:1, topic:1449, full:true”][/quote]

This is an amazing piece of forum software! Haven’t seen it before 

Easy to learn, great information display, easy editing.

Like it :grinning:

[quote=“Dibbler42, post:2, topic:1449, full:true”][/quote]

This discussion has been around for a while, not only in this forum, but please have in mind that a lot of different countries and languages meet in this forum 
 only a few of them are able to read/write in German.

BTW, your english skills seem to be perfect 
 :sunglasses:

:blush: Thanks for the compliment.

I’m aware that there is a world outside and most people are not able to read/write german. Currently there is a german forum and i read it regularly and i read the goolge groups and i read this forum. I’m sure that there are additional french, spanish, and whatever forums out there and i really would appreciate a german area, a french area and so on. Based on this we are able to collect the english community and all the other in one place.

And my benefit is that i need to check only one place and maybe there is only a small step for those with minimal english skill to give it a try.

Thomas

The problem with this is, that users would prefer the language sections and therefore discussions and information would only be readable by people wo speak the according language - that’s the advantage of english: almost everybody understands at least a bit english.

I think when the forum grows and openhab gets even more popular (which is likely if you consider the current smart home market development) we can discuss this again; But for now, let’s stay with pure english. :wink:

This is an interesting discussion i think, because i see the world a little bit different.

• everybody understands at leat a bit englsih - sligthly disagree from my side :smile:
  • users prefer their native language section - yes and no, beginners will prefer their language, because it is easier to start if there are no language borders, but if they get more sophisticated with openhab they will use the english forums more and more
  • forum and openHAB will get more popular - 100% agree with his. openhab breakes the borders between differnet technologies and i am just waiting for the first beta of OH2

At the end Thomas, Kai and henry will decide this topic and for me the relavnt topic is that i have the possibility to discuss about openhab.

So lets wait and see

Thomas

Hi,

thanks for you valuable thoughts!

Indeed we’ve discussed the language topic quite often (last time on Friday). We again came to the conclusion that the advantages of one “openHAB maintained” forum in english outweighs the disadvantages by far.

For me the most important argument for one forum is, that it’s already quite hard to keep one community running, to share knowledge and find people willing to be active and responsive in the community. Multiplying this efforts over more forums is even hardware. Despite the fact that i don’t know about a good operating model for different languages in one forum instance. After all i would assume we’ll end with operating one single instance for each country which produces quite a huge overhead 

We’ll hope for your understanding 

Best, Thomas E.-E.

Hi,

the new forum really rocks! Love it! :smiley:
What forum software is it based on?

cheers,
Axel

Looks like it’s Discourse.

It’s great it’s not leaking PII, like Google Groups. I can get more folks on-board now that’s sorted!

Just wondering if we should not proceed with a complete “switch off” of the googlegroups.com lists, as new topics are started almost every day? Cfr your initial post :wink:

2 Likes

valid point 
 however we should the users some more weeks to finalise there open discussions there. I’ll send a reminder to the group. We should schedule the shutdown (aka switch to readonly) by Sep. 30th 

I really like Discourse, but I just attempted to ask a question and wasn’t able to add “more than one image” because I’m new to the forum. Is there a way to change this setting? IMHO this gets in the way of people trying to describe their Homematic setup. Screenshots are easiest when explaining things, see this post of mine.

-Mathias

The easiest solution is not to be new in the forum, i.e. make sure you did some posts without attachments beforehand.
The setting makes imho sense to prevent spammers from flooding the forum and attachments are expensive.

Just my 2 cents,
Kai

1 Like

Kudos for the new forum!

Anyhow - one suggestion from my side - if possible.

Is there a possibility to add in the top right menue between search and user settings a predefined link that shows the topics a user himself is engaged in?

something like ‘my topics’ or so? Or at least to allow a predefined listing based on bookmarks set by yourself?

Cheers
Karsten

On the top right corner go to your avatar, select the little “gear wheel sign” and voila, there you have your bookmarks (left most icon).
And when you click on the gear wheel (“Preferences”) you have all your responses, threads, 
 where you have posted to or where you have sent any responses and so on 

what platform does the new community forums run on? it seems to be the same platform the freepbx forum uses
 I can’t seem to find info on either

See here

isn’t it possible to attach a file to a post ?!

I would like to provide a JAR file (binding) for testing by the community.

It is my understanding that you need to attain a certain badge before being able to upload files
 to get it I think it requires some posts without files.