Openhab2 Nest binding - 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT An Updated 2.0 Binding that works!

That was indeed the issue, I think it was on v4 from an old integration. I updated the permissions and it now works fine.

1 Like

Hi,

Same here, nest structure, account and thermostat goes offline.
I can control Nest itself with android app, so it can send / receive data.
After I restart Openhab, nest is online in Things meniu again, after arround 3,5 h it went offline again.
Now it happens when i switched my routers, with the old one as I remember it was always online.

Canā€™t enable log as you wrote, maybe doing it not in the right place, see:

Did you also test with openHAB 2.2.0 that got released today @Justas?

Some additional bug fixes were merged just before the openHAB 2.2.0 release was made. Time will tell if they solve all connection issues.

The old (1.x) binding was using a polling mechanism (max 1 update per minute due to Nest API rate limits) whereas the new binding is now using Server-sent Events (SSE). So you should instantly have the data when it is sent by your devices to Nest. Especially with a fire/smoke alarm that can make a big difference (when it works ofcourse :roll_eyes:).

The Jersey library used by the binding for SSE seems to have some issues when connections disconnect for which a workaround was created.

Those commands are executed in the Console. :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve created another org.openhab.binding.nest-2.2.0-fahrenheit.jar with all the features and fixes as in the final openHAB 2.2.0 release but using Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.

The code is in the same nest-fahrenheit branch on GitHub.

3 Likes

I was just about to ask about this. Thanks!!

Successfully running.

Thanks for the help in this post, I finally got the Nest working for me, but I would like to know if there is a way that the binding can report the temperatures in Fahrenheit (in the US, we rarely use Celsius)?

Thanks,

~John

3 posts above youā€¦ :slight_smile:

Donā€™t know how I missed it, got it installedā€¦ now to work on some custom icons :grinning:

Just upgraded to 2.2, so I thought Iā€™d try the new nest binding, but no luck.

I still have the old nest1 binding running - can I have both? or just one?

I added the nest binding to my addons.cfg, and the Thing shows up. I enter my prodict id, and secret, then enter the one-time pin (from the website), but it mostly wont save. The thing just sits there marked ā€œuninitializedā€. Even on the one or two occasions when I have got it to save, it still just says ā€œuninitializedā€ with no OAuth code and the PIN shown.

Most people seem to have this working, so I must be doing something stupid.

What am I missing?

Does it list the Nest 2.2.0 binding in ā€œPaper UI ā†’ Configuration ā†’ Bindingsā€ and as Active in the Console?

openhab> bundle:list | grep Nest                                                                                                                                              
228 ā”‚ Active   ā”‚  80 ā”‚ 2.2.0                  ā”‚ Nest Binding

Yes to both, the binding is listed, and shows as active in the console.

When I delete the Thing, and re-add it, I get this in the log:

2017-12-22 14:15:58.449 [WARN ] [ore.thing.internal.ThingRegistryImpl] - Cannot create thing. No binding found that supports creating a thing of type 'nest:account'.

I also get:

Status: UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER_REGISTERING_ERROR org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.ThingImpl cannot be cast to org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.Bridge

OK, I think I figured out what is the problem.

You cant have nest1 and nest loaded at the same time, itā€™s one or the other. I uninstalled nest1, installed nest (v2.2), and bingo! the account is now online.

Now have to figure out the channelsā€¦

Hmmm, donā€™t seem to be anywhere near as many channels as the documentation says. Maybe Iā€™ll try the latest SNAPSHOT see if that helps.

Thereā€™s also a ā€œShow Moreā€ button at the right of the listed channels. :slight_smile:

So There is! didnā€™t see that.

Thanks,

Trying to uninstall the default 2.2.0 addon via PaperUI (so I can install the Fahrenheit addon), but it just sits with the wheel spinning forever? Iā€™ve commented out my Nest things, but that hasnā€™t helped either. Nothing showing an error in events.logā€¦

Thanks for the help getting this working.

Iā€™m havjng trouble getting a switch to respond to the hvac state and mode. These are String channels, so I should be able to map a Switch to the various values, which are ā€œheatingā€, ā€œ coolingā€, ā€œheat/coolā€, and ā€œoffā€ I believe.

This is my sitemap:

Switch item=dining_room_hvac_mode mappings=["heating"="Heat","cooling"="Cool","heat/cool"="Auto","off"="Off"]
Switch item=dining_room_hvac_state mappings=["heating"="Heat","cooling"="Cool","off"="Idle"]

Where the items are String types. This construct works fine elsewhere, and the channels are not mapped to other values at all. Is this an openhab 2.2 issue, or am I missing something?

Also I see that there are no channels for the Nest Protect that give the date/time of the last connection, or last manual test (just manual test in progress as a switch). Itā€™s hard to tell if the smoke alarms are connected without this information, can I vote for including these channels (they were in the V1.0 binding).

Thanks.

Is there a way to get the temperature to display as 71 instead of 71.0?

Also, when trying to set the setpoint channel, it throws the following error:

2017-12-24 16:21:28.140 [WARN ] [nding.nest.handler.NestBridgeHandler] - Nest API error: Temperature C value is too high: 67.0
==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==

Looks like this value is still celsius.

Yes @wborn, it works now flawlessly for 1 week already.
Upgrading to 2.2.0 helped, thank You!

1 Like