OpenHab2 on Raspi Generation 1

Hi,

I have installed OpenHab 2 on a Raspi Generation 1 (Model B). I am also using influxd as persistence servers to persist temperature items in a db.

It is generally working but sometimes reactions are really slow. Setting an item to “in house” after a motion sensor was triggered takes about 50s. I see that especially the Java task for OpenHAB and even more influxd are consuming most CPU time.

Is it possible that this is happening because the Generation 1 raspi is just too slow? How can I check if the CPU is the reason and re-installing on a Raspi 3 would help? Can I actually move the SD to another Raspi generation or do I need to reinstall from scratch?

Thanks a lot!

Pi1 doesn’t have enough Memory (only 512MB) to start all the necessary daemons correctly. If it does after a few minutes it will be either unstable or incredibly slow - especially if you have a bunch of items or even worse a bunch of rules! :wink:
so, yes, migrating to Pi3 will do the trick. You could try and insert the SD Card to another Pi - or I would recommend saving your configuration, installing openHABian and transfering the configuration.

I too was running OH 1.8 on a Raspi 1.
When my setup grew, it got slower.
I had to forego extensive persistence and rely on mapdb and rd4j only.

When I tried to migrate to OH2 the system was unstable and very slow.

I have now upgraded to a thinclient with a 64GB ssd that I was lucky to score for free.
What a difference. It is running OH, node-red, shinobi, influxdb, grafana… without a hitch.

A raspi 3 will make your life much easier. Try to get an external HD if you can to avoid corrupting you SD card.

Thanks, I will try switching to a Raspi 3 then.

Why do you think I will corrupt my SD card? Can I also use an USB stick instead of an external HDD?

SD Cards aren’t meant for massive, small writes like they occour e.g. in logfiles or in persistence. Same goes for USB Sticks - they’re basically the same technology.
What you can do is to use external persistence (if you need one), but still, openhab/events.log and your system log will be on the SD Card).

That’s why external HDs oder SSDs are normally the best match for long Raspberry Pis. I for one had a SD Card driven OH2 for about 2 years. intensively used for 1,5 years. It worked flawlessly (it was a expensive industrial SD Card) - but lately I got strange ERRORs in the logfiles, which didn’t affect the system, but they were there. Since replacing the /root of my Pi with an SSD, they’re gone completely.

So, long story short: Pi3 is a perfect hardware for openHAB - for the first tests a SD Card will do, but afterwards just migrate to an external SSD and it will run even smoother. I did notice a better perfomance of the system - as I guess, the SSD is a bit faster than the SD Card was…

1 Like