openHABian testing

Try again please

… now it worked, thanks.

log.txt (104.8 KB)

I noticed this yesterday:

openhabian@openhabian:~ $ sudo openhabian-config
2023-08-17_21:02:58_CEST [openHABian] Checking for root privileges... OK
/opt/openhabian/functions/menu.bash: line 1: e#!/usr/bin/env: No such file or directory
2023-08-17_21:02:59_CEST [openHABian] Loading configuration file '/etc/openhabian.conf'... OK

So I opened the file, and in the beginning saw:

e#!/usr/bin/env bash

show_about() {
  if openhab2_is_installed; then OHPKG="openhab2"; else OHPKG="openhab"; fi

I will remove the “e” to fix this issue, but I’m wondering if anyone has an idea how this might have happened? I have not had this file opened in a text editor before, I even searched my .bash_history without any hits.

It has been released like this a while ago.

Okay, so I’m not crazy. Thanks! :wink: I wasn’t able to find it in Git history here, and I also thought that this would update automatically to the latest version when openhabian-config updates itself?

Gentlemen, is there a way to fix the problem with USB device detection related to UDEV in openhabian?
The problem is described, among others, here:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1035094#26

and here:

and here:

Will it be necessary to wait for a new version of openhabian based on bookworm?

I don’t know. This is not an openHABian problem, but this is an Open Source project.
So go find out yourself, tell us and ideally provide the fix if there’s one needed in openHABian.

1 Like

All,
I’m about to release openHABian 1.9 with full support for bookworm and all RPi models (i.e. including RPi 5).

Please help with testing and provide your feedback here.

Please also check back with the official docs if they need updating.

Thank you.

8 Likes

First: @mstormi : Great work. I saw it was a lot to do to make it work…(sometimes grumpy but the contributions are awesome :wink:)

I use openhabian bookworm since the first beta release as my productive system (love the risk) on a Pi5 with sd-card:
Runs rock stable with no issues at all (just the manual npm installation which is fixed now anyway). My main devices are

• zigbee2mqtt with a zzh-stick
  • rfxcom with rfxtrx (usb)
  • mosquitto v2.0.11
  • waveshare ups

The bookworm-option in raspberry imager is still missing (but I try to add that this weekend).

Hi all, thanks for all your efforts!
I just flashed an SSD with Raspberry Pi Imager using the option “Raspberry Pi 5” and "Openhabian (Raspberry Pi OS Lite 64 Bit):

Unfortunately, boot fails with message “The installed operating system does (OS) not indicate support for Rasbperry Pi 5…”

Am I doing something wrong or is there a wrong image behind?
I’m running on a Pi5 with 8GB.

Thanks

Yes: you did not read the docs. SSDs are still unsupported as they have been ever.

and please consider that you won’t get bookworm when using raspberry imager yet.
This happens after we have the next full release (which should be soon…).

If you need assistance in setting up openhab on Pi5/bookworm/SSD let me know.

Oh right, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder.
@Thorsten_Witt your error message was because of that. You could try again with the imager. This time import the image from Release openHABian v1.9 · openhab/openhabian · GitHub .

1 Like

@mstormi Thanks for the hint… I know the docs, but successfully repressed that :wink:
@Oliver2 Thanks for the offer… I have it running on my Pi5 since nearly 2 months. I followed the manual installation instructions and it went more or less fine (but missing things like firemotd and the openhabian-config tool :slight_smile:). Now, I’d like to go back to the official openhabian to be back in a “standard environment” as I know it since years.

I followed @mstormi 's comment and flashed the image from github yesterday evening. I did again ignore the SSD related comments in the docs :grin: and flashed it directly to the SSD (btw: connected to the pi via USB). This time, everything seems to work perfectly fine!
Haven’t had much time to test in detail unfortunately, but MQTT, influxdb and deconz installation seems to have worked without any issue.

3 Likes

anyone else to provide testing feedback ?

You could also try to install the latest version from GitHub on x86 Debian 12/bookworm.

I’m on x86_64 Debian 12/bookworm.

Upgrading openHABian to the latest commit on the main branch worked fine, and afterwards I also have been able to fix permissions and upgrade JS libraries using the config tool.

However I obviously can’t try out a clean install on my production system.

@mstormi : I tried to flash openhabian V1.9: " openhabian-raspios64-latest-202403151242-crcb6f01599.img.xz" with Etcher 1.18.11 portable (Windows) on a 64GB SD card but it failed at 34 %. Other images using this card and etcher are no problem. I also tried to use 7-zip before flashing but it is the same result. Has somebody experienced the same?
Thank you in advance!

EDIT: Same image seems to work with Raspi Pi Imager v1.8.5

I used the same image with Etcher 1.18.11 (windows) on a 32GB card (SanDisk Ultra). I had no problems, flashing the card.

I was switching from a Pi3 1GB memory to a Pi5 8GBmemory.
On the Pi3 I did a backup of the config with the configuration tool, it was a 32bit installation.
I flashed the new Pi5 with the openhabian V1.9 64bit image, restored the backup and everything works fine and fast. Thank you for the image.
Uli