Options Unavailable in IFTTT

Please tick the solution /answer, thanks

Why recomment against IFTTT? For Security Reasons?

It is sooooooooooooooooooooooo slow…
Sometimes minutes in latency

1 Like

I’m using IFTTT as a presence detection and works brilliant every time without fail.
So far I’ve tried other options like iCloud binding, wifi detection but none are as good as IFTTT.
@Kai please let us know the future of this service.
Can we at least have 2 or 3 items exposed and people with 9999 items be limited so new users are not forced to move towards HA?

2 Likes

Have you tried tasker or owntracks?
Tasker has an openhab add-on and reacts instantly. Not like IFTTT which can take up to 5 minutes
Owntracks in integrated into openhab via the GPS tracker binding

IFTTT latency is the worst and you are relying on a cloud…

1 Like

Tasker is not available for IOS and Owntracks it’s not reliable (same as iCloud) reporting false locations and that ruins your automations.

Not sure what issues you have with IFTTT but here in UK works every time perfect.

IOS: get a proper phone… :smile:
I have had no issues whatsoever with owntracks since the very beginning
On the other hand I have experience latency time of up to 5 minutes with IFTTT and that is unacceptable and I am also in the UK

The only was to integrate a Ring Doorbell is using ifttt to get instant notifications in openHAB. I only News two items available in ifttt - one dir motion an one for doorbell events. So blocking all Items for News users makes Ring Doorbell useless for openHAB Users.

1 Like

You will not get instant notifications with IFTTT, the delay can be up to 5 minutes sometimes, which renders it completely useless for something like openHAB.
Is there a tasker plugin for the Ring Doorbell?

1 Like

This is not true - i am getting notifications from my ring instantly over IFTTT. I never had problems with IFTTT delays. The only problem is that openhab does not allow new Items in IFTTT. I had two Items in openhab cloud - one for doorbell and one for motion. I deleted doorbell and wanted to recreate again with a new item - but after many retries i found the info that it is not possible to add items to ifttt anymore. Motion events still work perfectly because i created this item long ago and did not touch it in myopenhab cloud. The new limitation to not be able to add a doorbell item again makes my doorbell usless in my smarthome. My mediaplayer don’t stop playback anymore because there is no way to get the ring doorbell notification to openhab anymore. it is only possible and very reliably with IFTTT. So please allow two or three items in IFTTT for OpenHAB Cloud for every user. Users with lots of items could be blocked when this creates too much load on the openhab cloud. It would help users to avoid useless retries when there was a message that informs about this limitation instead of displaying no items in myopenhab cloud. But i really hope to be able to add my doorbell event again in myopenhab cloud from IFTTT.

2 Likes

If you really need IFFFT, why don‘t you setup your own myopenHAB instance and connect it to the service. Searching this community will give you many advices how to achieve this.

1 Like

Can you paste a Link? I am interested too and didn‘t find a post in the community.

Hmm, what about

Can I also integrate for example automate.io?

Or the new Microsoft Flow which maybe can bring this topic to a other level

openHAB cloud connector is opensource, so feel free to implemment the needed changes for automate.io or Microsoft Flow. Would be great if you contribute it as a PR.

2 Likes

Because a lot of work and testing is required to get this work. This is not something you get up and running without deep knowledge of cloud stuff and servers and linux. IFTTT is a service that is easy to use and many smart home users like it - so a connection to openhab should work for a few items to make life easy for users. As a developer you are interested in all this work in configuring and running his own cloud infrastructure but a normal user wants to automate his stuff and not be a sysadmin and developer.

And who should decide how much a few is? AFAIK we don‘t really know at what number of exposed items the issues start, so it was necessary to disable this feature completely.

There’s a Ring binding that many users have been testing for over a year. You might want to check it out if you haven’t already tried it.

I understand your frustration over IFTTT, but I also think that you’re making a strong assumption about how the connector works without fully understanding the issue (I don’t claim to grasp it, either). we would all prefer for IFTTT to work, but the vast majority of OH users are happier that myopenhab.org has been far more reliable since the change was made.

Personally, I just found ways to rework my system so that I don’t need IFTTT, but that’s not going to be possible for everyone. Hopefully the Ring binding gets you a little closer to that.

Thanx for the Ring binding info - but i already tried it. The problem with the ring binding is that it is not supported by Ring and has to do polling. I had very long delays to get the notification after someone rang. The IFTTT way worked nearly immediately because Ring supports IFTTT. Its a shame that Amazon doesn’t care about integration - they just want to sell their paid ring video plan and nothing else. So its not a problem of openhab and i am really a fan of the openhab community and this great peace of software. I had the problem with unreliable openhab cloud notifications before IFTTT was removed - so i can understand this limitation. And i don’t know the technical stuff but it would be great to have some items usable for IFTTT in the near future if this is possible. Perhaps the ring binding or openhab cloud can get support from the ring team. I have a call today with the ring support but i am not very optimistic that this is an option for them. A workaround could be possible with the samsung smarthings stuff that has support for ring. I will try soon.

1 Like