Problem with fresh Openhab 2.5 / Zigbee / Bitronvideo Ember Dongle / Device Pairing

Thanks - looks fine as well (standard HA link key is still in use) so devices should be able to join ok with that. It looks like the same policies as standard, and I certainly have no problems getting an Osram bulb to join.

Is it just one device that you’ve having problems with (let’s ignore Xiaomi devices for a second at least)?

Unfortunately more devices are affected.

To be sure, I just tried three to pair three other devices:

• First one is a KSentry On Off Controller (01124B001C2E7B92). Though discovered as “Unknown Zigbee Device”, I added this one as a thing after discovery, but information but did not get completed.
  • Second one is the Osram Smart Plug (7cb03eaa00b286f8) which earlier today was the first and only device I could successfully pair (I removed it again for testing).
  • Third one is an Ikea Tradfri Signal Repeater (000D6FFFFE9A0D40)

Here is the log trying to discover these three devices (again it’s a .zip-file): openhab_2.txt (100.9 KB)

None of them did complete discovery, all stayed “Unknown Zigbee Devices” (and all used to work with earlier versions).

I don’t know anything about these devices, but looking in the log, they do not respond - at least the Tradfri doesn’t respond and the NCP can’t communicate with it (ie it does not respond).

I’ve no idea why without a network log (and even then it may not tell what’s going on). Clearly the device joined the network - maybe it left again due to key exchange issues - I really can’t tell from this.

There’s one setting I could look at changing, it may help, or it may cause a load of problems (it was changed as it caused problems with some devices). However there’s no easy way to change that right now but I’ll have a look at coming up with a CLI command to do this.

Do you have a sniffer?

Unfortunately not.

I’ll be happy to try this as soon as it’s possible!

A couple of days ago, I received an Ikea Tradfri light bulb (model: TRADFRI bulb E27 WS opal 1000lm). In contrast to the light bulbs I was talking about above (tint color+white), pairing works instantly on OpenHab 2.5 and I am also able to control the brightness and color temperature.

Just to be clear: The tint bulbs worked well in OpenHab 2.4 and even in OpenHab 2.5 after upgrading. It’s just the pairing that seems to be broken in 2.5.

I am using the regular 2.5 zigbee binding, not the 2.5.1 that was talked about above. I can update manually and do some further tests if needed, but unfortunately, I won’t have much time during the coming days. I might be able to do some testing on the next weekend, if this is still of any help. Just let me know.

@chris seems to have the same Ikea Tradfri bulbs working that I have now working as well, but @mrfrh and @chris both have an Osram smart plug and @mrfrh’s isn’t working while @chris’s is. Maybe differences in the pairing of that Osram smart plug can give some insight. But I am just guessing :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I’ll just reply in the original thread:

Well, I’m convinced that that it should work! :grinning:

I thought about setting up openhab 2.5 stable on my desktop to try the dongle with different hardware and without the existing zigbee network.

I just tested Openhab 2.5 stable and the Ember dongle on my laptop running opensuse linux. And, surprise, I could immediately pair all the things (including the xiaomi sensors) that didn’t work yesterday. I also paired one of the tradfri bulbs mentioned in the first post (i even tried two times because I couldn’t believe it :-D).

So, my conclusions:

1. Dongle and Zigbee hardware is ok.
  2. Combination of Openhab 2.5 stable / Zigbee binding / Ember dongle / Firmware 5.8 is ok, too.
  3. Combination of 1. & 2. with my raspberry pi / openhabian 1.5 is problematic for me:
    3.1 fresh install of openhabian 1.5 / openhab 2.5 stable → pairing (especially tradfri bulbs) didn’t work
    3.2 downgrade to openhab 2.5 M2 → pairing worked
    3.3 upgrade to openhab 2.5 stable again → paring didn’t work, even with things that initially worked in step 3.1 (Osram plugs)

So, to conclude: I think I should format my Raspberry PI SSD and start to install 2.5 from scratch, maybe with a different OS. This will take some time, but I’ll let you know if it worked!

@chris Many many thanks for your support! And sorry for “blaming” the zigbee binding while this actually seems to be caused by something else…

@porst17 Do you also have the possibility to try your zigbee hardware with a different system?

1 Like

Hello Martin,
I was following the discussion, because I have the same issue as you. I was also running 2.5 official OpenHAB and upgraded the zigbee binding to the version which you linked above.
I’m using a Telegesis (Qivicon) dongle connected to a raspberry pi (version 3). The linux is a custom build yocto system. So I think your reinstallation might not solve the issue.
Maybe the issue is related to the performance of the RPI. Maybe some changes which effect timing and the RPI is too slow to handle some requests?

This is a totally different device than we are talking about here, so the joining issue is almost certainly not the same. The Telegesis dongle is getting a bit old and doesn’t support ZB3.0 so it may depend on your devices if it will work or not.

I think that’s not very likely in this case - there was no sign of lost frames etc in the logs I looked at either. Really, ZigBee communications isn’t especially fast in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for the quick reply.
But it doesn’t explain to me why I was able to pair the same Lupus Temp Sensor with one of the Milestone releases. (Same dongle, Same RPI)
Now it does find the Lupus, but only as unknown device. I’m able to add it as Thing, but then in the Thing overview it just says: “Status: OFFLINE Node has not completed discovery”

Ok, but you didn’t mention anything about this in your previous message! It’s hard for me to comment on things that you don’t say.

Ok. Is there any more information you can provide? Do you have a sniffer log, or at least a binding log? It’s really difficult for me to really comment when the only information I have is “it doesn’t work” - sorry.

I was able to quickly test OpenHab 2.5 in an Ubuntu 19.10 virtual machine running in VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro. I don’t have another physical machine at hand.

I mounted the BV dongle into the VM. Discovery of the dongle was without problems.

• Trying to pair my tint lamps resulted in the same issue: “Unknown device …”
  • Pairing the Ikea Tradfri lamps just works

Openhabian (tested on Rpi 0w and 3B) and Ubuntu 19.10 (amd64, Linux VM) are both based on the same Debian release (buster) and share the same symptoms with OpenHab 2.5 and the BV dongle.

I don’t know what these are? What is the manufacturer? Is there a sniffer log or binding log to see what’s happening?

These are the lamps I was talking about above all the time:

The only logs I can provide are the regular OpenHab ZigBee logs I already provided above for these devices, no sniffer log AFAICS.

Maybe that Osram smart plug is a more promising candidate for debugging, because you seem to own one as well as @mrfrh. And @mrfrh has a working and non-working OpenHab 2.5 configuration.

This should be fine - it’s a ZB3 device, so it should be fine if you’re using the standard link key and doesn’t require an install code?

Is that for OH2.5 or the 2.4 logs? I’m not quite sure which logs to look at as the ones above you say are for 2.4.

Yes, but everything works fine here and with the other systems I support, so that doesn’t really help :wink:

I posted two logs:

Both logs are for the same type of light bulb. I think you already checked both of them, no?

I’ll have to take a look - I look at so many logs, and there are so many threads here and from other customers that it’s hard to remember (especially in these forums where everything is unstructured).

Ok, these are still using old bindings. Please use the latest binding from 2.5.1.

Seems like Debian packages for 2.5.1 are still being built. RPMs are already there. Will test and post logs once 2.5.1 DEBs are out.

Ok, I’ve bought some of the Muller lights so I’ll have a look at them once they arrive.

1 Like