Raspbee zigbee module from Dresden Elektronik

Hi everyone,

I bought the module and installed it in my raspi. I managed to install the deCONZ software 2.04.35 from Dresden Elektronik. But i have no idea what to do next and how to bind this module to OH2 and start connecting my sensors.

FYI, the module i bought is this: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00E6300DO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could anyone kindly help me through please?
Thanks in advance.
Emre

I don’t have a lot of specifics to provide. But I can say that the Zigbee binding is not yet complete. I think there is a pre-alpha version of the binding available. You can find its initial checkin here. I do know it is only able to support one controller but I don’t know what one it is.

The binding might be available on the IoT Marketplace but you will need to install the snapshot to get access to that.

@asemev, deCONZ exposes some api you can talk to. See RaspBee binding compatibility

I bought some Dresden raspBee modules many months ago, but gave up someday on further trying to integrate via deCONZ. Meanwhile, it might be much better…

Anyway - I personally opted now for @Chris’s Zigbee binding.
Yes, as @rlkoshak said, it’s work in progress.
And yes, the raspBee or other Dresden Electronic coordinators (USB type) are not supported (yet?).

But: What’s implemented in the Zigbee binding so far is already working quite well!

All my Zigbee lamps from three different vendors (Philips, Osram, Ikea) are working with switching/dimming (for the RGB variants the color control is working as well) … without any separate gateway/bridge/hub :wink:

See: Zigbee binding

I am in discussion with Dresden about this and they have provided their low level API so I will probably look to support this in future.

3 Likes

Excellent news! Thanks, for sharing :slight_smile:

Thank you all very much! Really appreciated.

Hi, that are good news.

when it will be available?

moved from fhem to openhab 2 now

Hello,

are there any news regarding implementing dresden-elektroniks raspbee zigbee modul?
Or has someone a good documentation how to set up manually? I am runing latest openhabian version an a Pi3. First installing all from sd card image… when running openhab well i added the zigbee modul. I dont want do install now all the deconz stuff… maybe there is another way to integrate it in openhab… or there had to be one because i think many people want to use it… ia also have a usb z-wave modul ZME E UZB1, but this is not connected already… i first wanted to connect the raspbee modul and try to control ikea led’s…
hope to get answers and help here…
kind regards,
Oliver

It is not complete at the moment but is being worked on as a background task. There are necessary improvements required for the binding first.

Hi Chris, thanks for the fast respond. Do you have an aprox. time plan? I am planing a complete home automation for my new house and before planing and buying components i want to test everything…
I would like to use zigbee for controling the ilumination, z-wave for sensors and knx for windows-shutters and doors etc… i will try to put zigbee and z-wave on the raspberry and an external knx-ip-gateway from “Jung” f.ex.
Any idea, suggestion and help welcome.
kind regards,

Oliver

Hi guys,

nice to hear that the binding is still in development. :+1:

There’s a lot of development going on with the ZigBee binding :wink:

I have a basic working driver for the RaspBee now, so hopefully I can get this added soon. Just a couple of issues to iron out…

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

I really appreciate and look forward to control my Tradfri with a Raspberry Pi 3 & Respbee zigbee unit.

Cu, Seb

Me too!!!

Oliver

I bought one too and look forward to its support.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

is there anything which can be already tested for the RaspBee module ? 'happy to help and test things out. Is it possible to have a look at the current work ?

thanks …
… roland

The ConBee driver is basically working, but I had some reliability issues so haven’t merged it into the binding. If you want to have a look at it, it would be great - I’m already spending a lot of time on the Ember and Telegesis sticks so if you can take a look at the ConBee driver it would be great.

The driver is here (https://github.com/zsmartsystems/com.zsmartsystems.zigbee https://github.com/zsmartsystems/com.zsmartsystems.zigbee) if you want to work on it.

Cool, thanks :wink: Let me try to tinker a bit with it. For the background: I’m an OpenHAB newbie but have a strong Java and open source background and some experiences in writing drivers.

Do you have a protocol specifications for the access protocol to ConBee / RaspBee ?

Let’s continue on github …

Yes - but let me check with Dresden to see if I can pass them to you first…

Hi Chris,

thank you for your great contribution. I plan to read out some xiaomi aqara temperature sensors and control our heating with that. I am fairly new to openhab and the raspberry itself. I hope my questions are not too dumb.Of course i tried to find answers to my questions on google etc., but that was unsuccessful.
I do have a Raspbee installed and already working on openhabian. In deconz, I was able to connect a sensor and read data.
From what I understood here, with your driver, it will be possible to get the data into openhab. Where I struggle is the installation of the driver. Is there a guide or tutorial that discribes the way to go?
My questions are:
Is there maybe a compiled version of the driver available?
How can I install it on the raspberry? Place the compiled version simply in the addons folder?

Thanks!