Raspberry Pi 4 released

That’s wrong ! And a very dangerous advice.
It depends on what you attach to USB … any simple USB memory stick is as susceptible to wearout as is the internal SD card thus no better.
So PLEASE don’t raise this again (it’s a proposal popping up at least once a quarter, but it remains to be bad advice).

I am running this setup since two years and it is working really well!
Does anyone have benchmarks compairing the C2 and the Pi4?
I was under the impression the C2 is still faster …

well, ur wrong
And there is absolutely no “danger” at all, if anything you can be up and running in 5minutes when you have your rsync ready

but it’s up to everybody to work up to a solution.
for rpi usb > sd, definitely

cheers

I have them both, I have C2 for like years, RPI4 week or so
They are pretty much very close (running armbian on c2 and raspbian on rpi4)

issue with rpi4 is that quite a lot of stuff is not yet really ready, so speed might go up a bit in the longer run

I think Markus’s point is there is no difference between an SD card and a USB thumb drive.

usb > sd IFF usb != flash memory without additional logic (i.e. SSD drive)

Otherwise

usb == sd

rsync and any other external mitigations do not change this.

NOTE: IFF means “if and only if”

Can we keep this topic on topic (ie. RPi 4) please? There is already a topic if you’d like to discuss ITX, Odroid and other solutions.

What he said :slight_smile:

so I’ve downgraded to to the RPi4 2GB model. I’m going to use the 4GB for MotionEye (CCTV) or maybe Plex server or new mysql server when msata hat is available.

With my existing settings I am using only 900M of RAM (as per htop) so no real need for 4GB.

Thus far, with the RPi 4, I’ve not seen anything wrong that I did not have before on the 3. Still “unstable” with my cron issues.

HabPanel is a bit quicker but still too sluggish to “show off”. This is, I think, not due to the RPi but rather the way it updates. There is another thread (which I now cannot find) where they discussing how to update only the items actually displayed and not all the items. HPV also crashes weekly and requires a restart.

So, RPi4 - good (with heatsink). It does not create new issues for you.

So, RPi4 - good (with heatsink).

Thanks for all the advice so far. Manual installation is no problem, but is the heatsink needed for some light usage? I’m looking at the starter kits and it seems the official kits (and enclosure) don’t include a heatsink?

My usecase would be some simple domotica (so pi needs to be on 24/7) like presence detection, sonos and spotify bindings, maybe some lights, nothing to complicated…

I installed heatsinks on my RPi4 4GB and they‘re pretty hot when only running Debian without anything else…

I would recommend at least a heatsink. Fan not needed IMHO. Mine runs at around 55c, down from 65c without.

Stock standard installation works fine.

Just one note when comparing Odroid C2 with RPI4, you get 4GB of RAM with the RPI 4 (if you have that version) compared with odroid C2 1GB.
Also the USB3 port on the RPI4 is a big update compared to the USB2 port on the C2. Running an SSD through USB is the way to go and USB3 really helps in that regard.

Odroid C2 have 2GB RAM.
If you plan to run an external SSD for the Rpi 4, it´s good it has USB3. Otherweise it doesnt really matter with USB3, unless you have perperials which require USB3. Odroid C2 have eMMC onboard, so it dont need to USB3 to an external SSD.

You are right, it has 2GB, was a bit quick in that reply. I really find 4GB of RAM useful, though. I allocate 2GB for Openhab, and run a mosquitto server on the same Pi.
eMMC is a bit problematic though a lot of them tend to have the same problems as many SD-cards. If you are running a lot of writes (mariaDB db or similar), you don’t want to run it on an eMMC, basically it’s easy to break them due to a lot of writes. That’s why I see a strong need of a USB3 connection. I tend to move more of the IOT realted stuff from my server to the openhab instance, in order for me to be able to run my smarthome when my server is down.

Found a good write up on it here:

Regards, S

USB bandwidth is negligible w.r.t OH

If you mean to say eMMC is a reliable storage medium then sorry you’re wrong.
It has, at least in principle, the same weaknesses as SD cards do.

Finally, i’d always go for the mainstream (which the RPi4 is to become) to have as many other people as possible use the same solution that I use, resulting in better support, higher compatibility, faster responses etc.
Yes I know you probably don’t want to hear that as you just bought the Odroid. Never mind, I have one lying around as well.

eMMC is faster than the SD card. Thats what I meant to say.
You said the same about reliable for SSD´s.

This I agree with…

I dont mind :smiley:
I do have quite a few Rpi´s as well. But had to try something else. Odroid seem to be the best and faster alternative. If it has any influence on Openhab, I have no idea. But at least if way faster than my Rpi 3B+.

The problem of Odroid was the missing standard kernel.
But as far as I know, now the standard kernel is sufficient to run an Odroid.

I have no idea… I had @MDAR to install it on my Odroid :slight_smile:

I’ve had an XU4 running for over 3 years without any (major) issues and the C2 has been up and running for over 12 months.

I’ve sold a good number of them with Velbus hardware over the last year.

So far, no complaints for anyone. :smile:

Is it possible to switch the Data to Extern? Actually i use a pi 3b+ with SD card and SSD. I use the openhabian Menu to switch the location to SSD. if i’m correct iformed, then boots the system from sd and switch to the external ssd if its alive. is this possible with the raspberry 4 too?

I saw some workaround to get boot from USB for Raspberry PI 4. It is not implemented yet.
Unfortunately I will get mine Pi4 in a few days so I have not tested yet.

you can make rpi3 3+ and 4 to boot from usb directly, so i guess ssd connected to the usb should work as boot as well