Raspberry Pi 4 released

If you plan to do some rendering of Grafana, cams etc… Then speed could become a certain factor.
Standard operations of Openhab does not require much, I agree on that.
My suggesting was if you´re looking at the J4205 ITX, the price would be almost the same for J5005 but way better.

About easy storage, there are lots of options to choose between, even using Rpi´s. It all depend on, what you mean with easy storage. I believe an external SSD attached to the USB port of the Rpi is an easy storage. I can not (as in never) recommend an SD card. Even with Markus´ solution, it´s still an SD card. It´s slow, and it´s still riscky, though Markus´ fix may have limited the risc. This is mainly due to the price of SSD´s it´s simply not worth spending time on slow SD cards… But thats my personal opinion. I accept if others choose SD cards allright.

I suppose it depends on your definition of nice. But these look at least as nice as those off brand micocomputers.

link

link

There are tons more. I think even Western Digital makes one.

I use this one to run my firewall (pfSense). I couldn’t use an RPi because ARM doesn’t have hardware acceleration for AES encryption. It runs a little hot but otherwise works well. The whole case is a heat sink so that probably accounts for the heat.

For those looking for something to use with pfSense, just be aware that the WiFi doesn’t work with pfSense so this machine will not replace your WiFi AP.

No. Sure you could count writes but that’s not simple. And every install is different (e.g. loglevel, frequency of persistence) so this would not result in a general authoritative forecast anyway.
If I was to take a guess I reduced the number of SD writes by a factor of 100 but there’s absolutely no measurements to support that guess. Only time will tell.
It’s fairly simple though to extend should you need to change more of your apps to write to RAM.

I’m always a little hesitant when Americans propose some “nice-looking” device .
Most American and UK light switches still have the horrible looks of what we in Europe had in the 60es and 70es. Sorry Rich and all for now getting totally subjective and off topic :wink:

Now that’s probably no convincing argument in favor of a Pi. But cost, size and power usage are.

1 Like

since RPI3 it’s not even needed to have SD card, all you have to basically do is to configure rpi once to boot from USB ever since.
RPI4 will be the same

even rpi2 is running for years only requiring SD to boot.
I personally do have like 10 or smthing of these and non a single issu since first models, indeed always SDboot/USB rest

Cheers

That’s wrong ! And a very dangerous advice.
It depends on what you attach to USB … any simple USB memory stick is as susceptible to wearout as is the internal SD card thus no better.
So PLEASE don’t raise this again (it’s a proposal popping up at least once a quarter, but it remains to be bad advice).

I am running this setup since two years and it is working really well!
Does anyone have benchmarks compairing the C2 and the Pi4?
I was under the impression the C2 is still faster …

well, ur wrong
And there is absolutely no “danger” at all, if anything you can be up and running in 5minutes when you have your rsync ready

but it’s up to everybody to work up to a solution.
for rpi usb > sd, definitely

cheers

I have them both, I have C2 for like years, RPI4 week or so
They are pretty much very close (running armbian on c2 and raspbian on rpi4)

issue with rpi4 is that quite a lot of stuff is not yet really ready, so speed might go up a bit in the longer run

I think Markus’s point is there is no difference between an SD card and a USB thumb drive.

usb > sd IFF usb != flash memory without additional logic (i.e. SSD drive)

Otherwise

usb == sd

rsync and any other external mitigations do not change this.

NOTE: IFF means “if and only if”

Can we keep this topic on topic (ie. RPi 4) please? There is already a topic if you’d like to discuss ITX, Odroid and other solutions.

What he said :slight_smile:

so I’ve downgraded to to the RPi4 2GB model. I’m going to use the 4GB for MotionEye (CCTV) or maybe Plex server or new mysql server when msata hat is available.

With my existing settings I am using only 900M of RAM (as per htop) so no real need for 4GB.

Thus far, with the RPi 4, I’ve not seen anything wrong that I did not have before on the 3. Still “unstable” with my cron issues.

HabPanel is a bit quicker but still too sluggish to “show off”. This is, I think, not due to the RPi but rather the way it updates. There is another thread (which I now cannot find) where they discussing how to update only the items actually displayed and not all the items. HPV also crashes weekly and requires a restart.

So, RPi4 - good (with heatsink). It does not create new issues for you.

So, RPi4 - good (with heatsink).

Thanks for all the advice so far. Manual installation is no problem, but is the heatsink needed for some light usage? I’m looking at the starter kits and it seems the official kits (and enclosure) don’t include a heatsink?

My usecase would be some simple domotica (so pi needs to be on 24/7) like presence detection, sonos and spotify bindings, maybe some lights, nothing to complicated…

I installed heatsinks on my RPi4 4GB and they‘re pretty hot when only running Debian without anything else…

I would recommend at least a heatsink. Fan not needed IMHO. Mine runs at around 55c, down from 65c without.

Stock standard installation works fine.

Just one note when comparing Odroid C2 with RPI4, you get 4GB of RAM with the RPI 4 (if you have that version) compared with odroid C2 1GB.
Also the USB3 port on the RPI4 is a big update compared to the USB2 port on the C2. Running an SSD through USB is the way to go and USB3 really helps in that regard.

Odroid C2 have 2GB RAM.
If you plan to run an external SSD for the Rpi 4, it´s good it has USB3. Otherweise it doesnt really matter with USB3, unless you have perperials which require USB3. Odroid C2 have eMMC onboard, so it dont need to USB3 to an external SSD.

You are right, it has 2GB, was a bit quick in that reply. I really find 4GB of RAM useful, though. I allocate 2GB for Openhab, and run a mosquitto server on the same Pi.
eMMC is a bit problematic though a lot of them tend to have the same problems as many SD-cards. If you are running a lot of writes (mariaDB db or similar), you don’t want to run it on an eMMC, basically it’s easy to break them due to a lot of writes. That’s why I see a strong need of a USB3 connection. I tend to move more of the IOT realted stuff from my server to the openhab instance, in order for me to be able to run my smarthome when my server is down.

Found a good write up on it here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/196541/emmc-vs.-ssd-not-all-solid-state-storage-is-equal/

Regards, S

USB bandwidth is negligible w.r.t OH

If you mean to say eMMC is a reliable storage medium then sorry you’re wrong.
It has, at least in principle, the same weaknesses as SD cards do.

Finally, i’d always go for the mainstream (which the RPi4 is to become) to have as many other people as possible use the same solution that I use, resulting in better support, higher compatibility, faster responses etc.
Yes I know you probably don’t want to hear that as you just bought the Odroid. Never mind, I have one lying around as well.

eMMC is faster than the SD card. Thats what I meant to say.
You said the same about reliable for SSD´s.

This I agree with…

I dont mind :smiley:
I do have quite a few Rpi´s as well. But had to try something else. Odroid seem to be the best and faster alternative. If it has any influence on Openhab, I have no idea. But at least if way faster than my Rpi 3B+.

The problem of Odroid was the missing standard kernel.
But as far as I know, now the standard kernel is sufficient to run an Odroid.

I have no idea… I had @MDAR to install it on my Odroid :slight_smile: