Raspberry Pi 4 released

If used, the userdata/tmp/ and /userdata/cache files will not be deleted within the zip.

So it actually backup the cache and tmp as well?
Hmm, I´m not sure I would recommend that, when moving to another hardware… I would probably prefere the cache/tmp to be rebuild on the new setup.

There is nothing in cache nor tmp that are platform specific. Cache has the downloaded jar/kar files for the installed bindings. I’m not sure what all goes into tmp. It doesn’t hurt to include it, and it doesn’t hurt to exclude it either.

You may be right… But in general I fail to understand why one would copy the cache/tmp when changing to new platform. In my opinion, it´s better to be safe than sorry.

The migration is done! 6 hours later i have a fresh installation on my RPI 4 :slight_smile:
I only have some issues with my Deconz/Phoscon Zigbee Gateway, but for this i want create a new thread. :slight_smile:

Can you make a Tutorial of how to migrate without problems? Thanks!

just read the last 10 posts… sth like this:

1. on old system: openhab-cli backup (–full)
  2. copy file with scp
  3. setup up the new system without any configuration
  4. on new system: openhab-cli restore

does step 3. mean that OH add all needed bindings and add-ons on the new system after restoring the OH backup and that I don’t need to add all bindings, add-ons manually on the new system?

What about the accounts (usernames and passwords) - are they part of the OH backup?
What about grafana and influxdb configuration - are theses configurations also part of the OH backup?

Thats a good question!

I dont know if bindings and addons etc get added automatically but I guess they do.
Usernames, passwords and other configurations should be part of the OH backup and should get restored.

Guys, please stay on topic. For chit-chat there’s the Misc section. Thank you.

It’s in Beta now, so it can’t be long for official release !!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=274595&p=1663644#p1663644

Usb boot o.t.w

I am running a Pi4 4GB with USB boot and the beta firmware. 2GB should also be more than enough (I run OH 2.5 plus MariaDB and never saw more than 2GB memory used, no swap usage).

Speed with the Pi4, a SSD and a USB 3.0 enclosure is a blast, no noticable delays when executing rules (PIR fires -> light on) or when switching items via app (on the Pi3b I always had a small, but noticable delay).

But be careful when choosing an enclosure for USB 3, some controllers have compatibility issues with the Pi4 (they don’t boot in UAS mode, Quirks needs to be applied). I found a enclosure with AS Media ASM235CM chipset working with the Pi4. Stay away from devices with JMicron controllers. Also I connected the USB3 enclosure via a powered USB-hub to avoid running in power issues (my SSD is rather old and rated with 1.5A).

And another thing important for Z-Wave users: There is a know incompatibility issue with Aeotec Gen. 5 Z-Wave Stick and the Pi4. With the Pi4, the stick might not be recognized or just randomly drops out (which happens to mine at the moment, every one or two day the controller just goes offline or “jumps” between /dev/ttyACM0 and /dev/ttyACM1). See discussion here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=245031&sid=5ea4ebde15d4939333a24465b37d7cf4

I am thinking about either getting another stick or workaround with a USB 2.0 powered HUB.
Another remark: A buster-image of the Pi4 written back to a SD-card or USB-device (e.g. with RaspiBackup) flawlessly boots also in a Raspberry 3B+ which is now my “hot-standby” in case the Pi4 breaks :wink:

2 Likes

Do you know if Conbee2 have the same issue? I’m planning to switch from rp3 to rp4 with boot from usb.

I also have a compatibility issue with my rb3 and a usb adapter. It work normally eccept with restarts. If I restart the SO, it shutdown but don’t start. That’s the adapter: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XT5W7T8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No, it’s only this particular Z-Wave stick. It has a pull up resistor connected to wrong voltage and this messes up USB discovery with the chipset of the Pi4.

Regarding the adapter, can you issue a “lsusb” command? It gives manufacturer of the chipset.

[09:38:59] openhabian@openhab:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. Name: ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge, ASM1153E SATA 6Gb/s bridge

I’m sorry, it is in a closet 4000km far to me. I’m on Iceland for job till August :laughing:
I will investigate about it

Ok, I just read in the specs provided at Amazon:

-Chipset: JMS578

This is exactly the Chipset causing problems on the Pi4, but I am actually not aware that it causes problems on the Pi3 too as the Pi3 usually doesn’t use UAS.

You can try to apply Quirks, see this thread:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245931

You have to use the vendor and device ID by the IDs given by the lsusb command. Should look similar to this:

Code

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge

Then add it to /boot/cmdline.txt:

usb-storage.quirks=152d:0578:u

Make sure that the arguments are still all in one line, it should look like this:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/download/file.php?id=31008

The problems are caused on USB 3 ports. The Pi 4 is currently the only one supporting that.

Thank you, ill’try for test but I think I won’t use for production because I prefere to have stability.

Actually I have to admit that the Pi3 was running more stable than the Pi4. The Pi4 has lots of compatibility issues (though some are not Raspberrys fault, as with the Aeotec stick), while the Pi3 was much more tolerant. I never had problems with the Aeotec Stick on my Pi3, and it boots from USB without any “work” on EEPROM or hazzle with certain controllers.

But as I prefer the performance, I will stick with the Pi4.

Compatibility is more or less only advantage …

Which performance you are talking about? For OpenHab, computing power & memory >2Gb of Rpi4 is an overkill, the rest is bummer. Ofc better than RPi3 and below but not better then Odroid XU4 from 2015. Absence of cryptographic acceleration makes RPi ridiculous slow in that feature, but for OpenHab that is luckily not important. Reliability, on the other hand, is. Laws of physics software can’t fix …

FYI:

• SSD on Nanopc T4 can easily run almost 1000 MB/s faster (two years ago, when there was only RPi3). Also on some other similar boards that expose 4 PCI lines for NvME. Real world tests: https://twitter.com/armbian/status/1266372372610691072
  • connection to drive is more reliable since it doesn’t pass (mainly terrible) USB2SATA converters. Most people will remain unaware of UAS issues and will loose data, experience related failures … and forums (sadly this one too) will be flooded with questions regarding this problem.
  • powering is done via 12V which also contribute toward stability.
  • RK3399 SoC is faster in just about every specs, but yes, it can’t have 8GB of memory … which is last thing you need.
  • RK3399 has good and fairly matured software support. It has been around for 2+ years.