Recommendation for TV ambient backlight?

Hi all,

I’ve used OH2 for a bunch of things, but don’t have any smart lights (I do have Wemo switches). I’d like to backlight (color) my family room 50" TV which is on a short entertainment console in the corner of the room. Does anyone have any recommendations that will work well with OH2 and ideally Harmony too? So far, I don’t have any USB sticks in the Pi3 or hubs (and wouldn’t mind staying that way). I’m leaning towards using a LIFX or Kasa bulb in a small lamp behind the TV. Thoughts?

Mike

1 Like

Just remembered this post here for someone using the Milight globes and is doing it with Python.

I believe the Phillips HUE globes can do it far easier but the post above with Hyperion is a far better way as you can use multiple LEDS in a strip mounted to the TV and get a far better result. Youtube has plenty of videos showing them in use. Someone made a Hyperion binding for openhab.

Second the support for Christoper Mullins option - I’ve been using it for a year now without hassle.

I was mulling over the idea of using a rpi to look at the TV, getting the mean colour and then using some addressable LEDs you could get quite fancy with how you show the light. Not sure if response time would be good enough though with and RPi and openCV.

Winter is coming so there are many rainy weekends to try this :slight_smile:

I like that idea :slight_smile:

There are a number of WiFi Art-NET adapters to SPi out there, these might be a viable option, but if you have a LAN port nearby, I suggest using a hardwired option to reduce your WiFi traffic.

http://smartshow.lighting

SmartShow’s eBay store

The little SmartShow AirPixel Micro units might be useful, other than they support 4 cascaded Art-NET universe’s into one SPi stream (4 x 170 pixels), which I haven’t worked out how to operate effectively from OpenHab2 yet.
I could group 4 chases etc, just not tried it yet as I use PixOut server for big systems.

I have a large number of SPi pixels around my house for architectural lighting, there are some short videos on my YouTube channel if anyone wants to take a look.

(I thought I had a lot of pixels, until I equipped a recent client’s home, he didn’t think that 60 pixels per meter was enough, so he opted for >30m of 144 pixels per meter)