Recommendations for Lighting Control in the UK

I am setting up a home automation system based on OpenHAB as part of a property renovation. We would like to include control of the lighting and I would like to hear the experiences of other users. I have looked at a number of systems:

1/. Energenie MiHome - looks OK but the binding seems limited in functionality.
2/. Lightwave RF - more expensive but possible
3/. Sonoff/Tasmota - more messing about and concerns over quality.
4/. Philips Hue
5/. Ikea Tradfri

There will be a full rewire of the property so wiring support is not a problem. I want to provide live - neutral - switched live in all boxes. Also 35mm deep boxes to give space for electronics. I would prefer a switch or module based solution rather than one based on electronics in the bulb.

Apologies if this has been covered before but I would like to get the latest perspectives.

Wom

Ine of the latest related posts was this (though a new construction):

1 Like

Thanks for this George, though Velbus is one I have not come across. There seems to be a limited number of stockists. I was a little put off by the communications cabling but then again, I am going to be running dual gigabit Ethernet cables to most rooms.

Hi

Please don’t be concerned by any bus cable (daisy chained) control systems, normally they run at much lower speeds than the old 10-BaseT or Token Ring systems, so are rock solid.

FYI Velbus is derived from the CANBus protocol, but runs at only 16.6Kbps.

Hi Stuart,

CANBus I can deal with - I am used to various SCADA protocols. I would be interested in the costs for a system based on a self install basis

Tim

1 Like

Hi Tim

I’m happy to quote you for whatever hardware you want.

Should we continue this conversation privately ?

For others following this thread, here’s some more information on the installation and programming of Velbus systems.

This link will take you to the download page of the Velbus website, which contains the free configuration software and two installation guides.

I’m happy to give you the contact details for a demo model if you’d like a live system to connect VelbusLink to.

Cheers,

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I think we should continue privately. If you message me I will give you an e-mail you can use

Tim

Hi

I send a private message a few days ago with my email address. :wink:

I don’t mind posting a company email address here, who knows someone else might get tempted to ask for a quote for hardware :smile: or suddenly find they have a burning desire to become a commercial installer.

openhab@mdar.eu

Cheers,

Stuart

MDAR ltd