Recommended offline Voice Assistant for OpenHAB

I just wanted to start using snips but as sonos bought snips last year they announced stopping the availability of snips console end of this month. Therefore I have to use another solution for Voice Commands
Important to me is the following

• privacy friendly offline processing
  • running on raspberry pi
  • compatible with openhab

Would be nice to get some feedback which software fulfills these points.

Did you ever find a offline voice assistant, if so do share, there is one that i tried installing on debian (none RPI) but i was unable to get it setup. Since you are looking for a RPI solution here it is

https://jasperproject.github.io/

1 Like

Ok thanks:

Openhab integration is 3 years old and looks outdated to me.
In the meantime I also found sepia:

1 Like

take a look at Rhasspy
or
https://sepia-framework.github.io/
or
https://mycroft.ai/

Rhasspy probably offers the biggest flexibility but you will have to build your own integration into openhab over something like nodered or mqtt.

Sepias developer is active here on the forum and i think he build some kind of openhab integration into it. As i have no experience with sepia best ask him yourself here:

Mycroft is not completely offline yet as it works best with google stt but there working on transitioning to mozilla deepspeech and they have a very active community of makers and an openhab skill.

I think those three are your best contenders.
If you got lots of time and want a project you can build your own too.
-There is snowboy as a hotword engine.
-sox and its integrated silence detection to record and do vad
-pocketsphinx python for stt (you will have to build your own domain specific language model to make it work good)
-for nlu you can just start with something like simple regex matching
-tts there is pico2wav
-tie it together with something like nodered

Best regards Johannes

2 Likes

This is kind of valid for SEPIA too, if you want to speak completely free without building your own, small domain language model. I haven’t seen any open-source ASR in 6 years that can match Google unfortunately. The acoustic models of open ASR are getting better and better but Googles TB size language models are crazy :face_with_monocle: :grimacing: :expressionless:

In SEPIA you can switch easily between native and custom STT where native can be Google cloud (Chrome/Android), Google offline (Android, supported on some devices) and Apple cloud (iOS) and custom is the SEPIA STT server available as Docker container using Kaldi open-source ASR. The Kaldi language model can be customized.

1 Like

thats why i use a small domain specific one with pocketsphinx and my own dic

Digging this out - I just realized my Snips is now worthless (since I wanted to continue the project).

What are people using nowadays? Are there any comparable alternatives?
I’ve got a couple of DIY speakers (Pi Zero)

Is there any news on this? I would be very interested in an offline voice assistant.

'Tis the season to acquire hardware, esp for home automation. For a little guidance, found this thread as most-recent with voicecontrol tag.

SEPIA appears to be the go-to solution now, also well into the future.

FWICT, the structure, features and options are spot-on, it’s completely usable, and @sepia-assistant is keeping it in active development (and apparently doing a great job).

No disrespect to pocketsphinx but last time I tried using it, there was much frustration (‘trust station’ haha).

Any differing conclusions or comments, please post.