Requesting hardware recommendations for Z-wave dongle and water sensors

Hi,

I am new to the openHAB system and I like what I’m seeing so far! I have the software installed on one of my linux servers at home (the most lightweight one).

My reason for getting in to looking at this is the worry about water leaks. Nearly a year ago (on my wife’s birthday, no less!) I had an under-sink water filter blow out and it caused a fair amount of water pouring in to the (thankfully unfinished) basement and a lot of effort in sorting it out. Not much by way of damgage per-se but there’s always the worry. If there had been an alarm I would have noticed sooner. I have just this week installed a water softener so as I’m thinking about the potential for water in different parts of the house to cause major issues I’m wondering how to protect things. I have wondered about an automatic shut off and then set about learning about z-wave water sensors and valves. I found some things but I’m curious what anyone else in this community has learned and used.

I’m wondering about getting this USB dongle to talk to Z-wave things:

Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+

… this water sensor:

Ecolink Zwave Plus Flood & Freeze Sensor, White (FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO)

… and if everything works as intended and can talk to the sensor, I will likely get more of them and go for this z-wave controlled shut off:

EcoNet Controls EVC200-HCSML The Bulldog Valve Robot, Z-Wave Water Valve

Wondering if anyone has experience, hints, tips on what I’m trying to accomplish before I go crazy getting stuff.

(could not include links because I’m a new user and apparently that’s a thing… lol)

hi,

I am using the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+ myself for a couple of years now with any issues.
For the supported sensors you can check the compatibility list. I noticed that the sensor mentioned is not in the list, but you can raise an issue to get this addressed.

Ah, that list is very useful. Thank you. Still getting my head around the whole ‘ecosystem’.

Please check the OpenSmartHouse Z-Wave Device Database for sensors supported by the latest version of the Z-Wave Binding.

As the FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO is not in the DB, you would have to add it to the Z-Wave database:

Yes, that makes sense. If I go for those sensor devices, adding the information doesn’t seem too bad to do, looking over the pages on the database site.

The valve I saw too, similarly doesn’t seem to be in the database.

Edit: I did find this thread ( Aeotec Water Sensor 7 Pro ) that some others have already used the FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO sensor (instead of the Aeotec one) and it was ‘picked up immediately’ … so I wonder why it wasn’t in that database?

Good find. There is a a FLF-ZWAVE5 R1 flood sensor in the database:

Not sure whether it is the same as the FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO, you should check the manual:

See tab ‘Reference’.