RGBW LED strip with Magic Home Controller

Hi community,

I recently bought an RGBW led strip with a Magic Home controller.
I have some experience with these controllers but so far just the RGB strips, with no white LEDs.
I’m having trouble switching between the white LEDs and color LEDs.

I read through these:

And it seems that all configurations are right.
When I switch to white from the Magic Home app, I can control its brightness through the White2 channel, Power channel and Color channel work as expected.

But the problem is once I pick a color and the color LEDs turned on, I can’t seem to switch back to the white LEDs without using the Magic Home app.

Has anyone encountered this problem?
Thanks…

Horribly late with a reply, but I have a solution for this, so thought I should share it.

I have an RGBW strip and an RGBW Magic home controller. In my case, after setting it up with the phone APP and connecting it into Openhab with the LED binding, I was having the same issue. I could control the Colour its brightness with a colour wheel picker in Openhab, but my links/bindings to “White” and “White2” seemed to do nothing at all. My “White” binding was linked to a dimmer control, but would have no effect on its own, other than to dim/brighten the currently selected colour (it would never switch on the white led’s on the strip).

After playing around I have a solution, which is to go to your Wifi Led Thing and in there change Device Driver from Classic to Fading

Now, I can use my colour picker as before and when the colours are in use on the strip my “White” dimmer has no effect, UNTIL you dim the Colour to 0 (absolute zero brightness). Then when you use the white dimmer, the white channel turns on and you can dim it.

As far as I can tell you CANNOT have both the colour LED’s and the white LED’s on at the same time. Its either Colours and you can pick their brightness OR set the colour brightness to zero and then you can use the white LED’s.

Setting a Colour and its brightness automatically turns off the white LED’s, but picking a white brightness doesnt turn off the LED’s and enable the white LED’s. Im guessing you can create a rule that says “when the white LED dimmer is changed, anything greater than 0, set the colour brightness to 0” … something like that may work, though Ive not tried it yet.

Hopefully this helps someone!

1 Like

Can confirm, adding this rule to make the white switch when you change its brightness, works perfectly and the LED strip switches over to white, at the brightness you set.

In summary, when you White dimmer is changed, set the ColorPicker to 0,0,0

1 Like