RPI 4 now with 8GB Model

Duh. Not really (yet).
We’ve just started working on that, there’s a version you can try here but that’s a very first attempt and of course without any warranties.
You could also install Raspi OS from raspberrypi.org and openhabian on top as with any other Linux.
Leading edge is … well, bleeding edge.

1 Like

would this be a bad idea: raspios -> docker -> openhab (i.e. install openhab inside docker on raspi os)?

You could do that but why introduce the overhead of Docker?

thanks - i’ll try Raspi OS as a first stab

1 Like

Yes. Docker provides no value in this.

please try the image. Someone has to be the first to try :wink:

You can install an Armbian image and it even offers to install openhab for you as part
Of the setup process. Diet pi images also do the same
Thing and people have video guides on YouTube showing how easy it is.

Plenty of options just need more people testing and reporting back any issues on GitHub not on the forum if something need to change to make the next persons experience better.

And where is the support forum for those installation methods? This is not it.

Strongly disagree, this forum is the place (open a new thread of course) to get help. Users of course have to understand if they try something very new with very few other people
Doing it the reply may take longer or not at all.

As mentioned there are videos showing how easy it is step by step. All reports I have seen is that it works first time at getting openhab up and running.

My next install is going to be with armbian to try it out.

We have our hands full here with the methods documented by the developers.
People generating random videos need to support their own processes.

1 Like

Thanks for the help.

I’ve managed to get it up and running as a manual install. Although the Azul APT repository add command for Zulu had a small error in the Azul documents. Which i didn’t pick up and delayed my Java install…

$ sudo echo ‘deb http://repos.azulsystems.com/debian stable main’ > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zulu.list

vs.

echo ‘deb http://repos.azulsystems.com/debian stable main’ | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zulu.list

I’ll try the image for a next installation.

On top of what?

And did you try the image ? If you have a chance to, please do.

openHABian will upgrade itself to same latest version in both cases, and if you used the same OS image from raspberrypi.org as did we then the resulting system should be identical.
But we need users to try and confirm hence asking for your help here.

Please find a way to differentiate between OpenHABian ani the image containing it. Using the same name gets confusing and renders statements like this false because it does not upgrade the image OS. Only the scripts get upgraded.

Agree that can be confusing and it’s nit picking but if you properly read again I intentionally didn’t do that here. openHABian is the name for the scripts and does not include the OS or the image to combine both.
In threads that are not about these subtle differences it’s ok to use the name for both, anything else would confuse people more than it helps.

People refer to installing the OpenHABian all the time when they install the image.

Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) Lite

Minimal image based on Debian Buster
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_lite_armhf_latest

I’ll see if i can try your image later this week.

1 Like

FWIW openHABian 1.6 supports this model but there’s a kernel issue that forces us to disable ZRAM.

A RPi 4 with 8 GB actually is a waste of money when you want to use it as an openHAB server.

I agree with you. However having more ram lets you run more things alongside openhab and is more future proof. If you are buying a new pie it makes sense to get the 8gb version.

1 Like

Which you shouldn’t do to minimize dependencies and risks.

No for the vast majority it does not. Hence my post to warn the unexperienced.

Each to his own. Running mosquitto, influx etc is installable from Openhabian menu, so that contradicts your statement.

I think you should give people more credit than you are right now. A lot of people work in IT and similar, so they are capable of making their own decisions.

1 Like