Samsung TV binding not working with latest snapshot

The binding has always worked fine in the past, but with the latest snapshot I get errors in the logs, e.g.:

Channel 'samsungtv:tv:livingroom:volume' not supported
Channel 'samsungtv:tv:livingroom:keyCode' not supported

Is anyone else seeing that?



Yes I get the same…was working fine before the stable 2.2 release;

2017-12-29 20:55:17.404 [WARN ] [g.samsungtv.handler.SamsungTvHandler] - Channel 'samsungtv:tv:livingroom:sourceName' not supported

When it loads:

2017-12-29 21:53:36.993 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'samsungtv:tv:livingroom' changed from UNINITIALIZED to UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR)

2017-12-29 21:53:59.961 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'samsungtv:tv:livingroom' changed from UNINITIALIZED (HANDLER_MISSING_ERROR) to INITIALIZING


anyone else seeing this?

I’ve tried to report it on GitHub - It’s my first time doing it, so hopefully I’ve done it correctly otherwise please let me know or add additional information in there.


I fear that it might be related to changes I did to add support for my television model, debug logging is appreciated I can make some time to get this fixed.

See also PR:

Can you also mention your model etc.


Hey Dan,

Maybe you are more experienced than me - do you also use the Karaf console?
If so, can you please help me and @martinvw to get some logs so Martin might be able to fix it :).

log:set TRACE org.openhab.binding.samsungtv

I can reproduce it…

@wborn do you see something stupid in this commit just before merging.

It looks good to me @martinvw !

It also works at first but somehow it stops later on…

I have some small changes and a lot of extra logging, time for the users to help me.

AFAIK @cweitkamp also has a samsungtv did I remember correctly? Could you test for me?


Hi Martin,

You did remember correctly. I own a Samsung TV. But it’s an older model (LE40C650L1W) which is not officially supported by the binding.

The OH2.2 version of the binding did populate some if the channels like volume, brightness, etc. and correctly shows the ONLINE/OFFLINE thing status. I couldn’t control anything. I will test the new version in detail but give me some days. I’m busy this weekend and in the next week. I’m on a business trip and rarely at home.

1 Like

Did anyone (besides @cweitkamp ) try the new jar, any extra logs to help me solve this?

Hi there. I have a Samsung tv and would like to test it but didn’t found the jar. Can you add again? Tomorrow I will test it and let you know the behavior.

Hereby download

Martin, my TV model is UN60ES7150 which part of the 6500 series and I have a similar problem where the Source Name is not working. I removed the binding from my openhab2.3 installation and installed the one you reference above. Attached is the log output showing the error. Let me know if you have more questions.

Update: My apologies. I forgot to delete the Smart TV thing and that is why it did not communicate with the TV. Once I deleted the old entry, I searched and found a new entry in the inbox. I just verify that I’m able to switch sources. Thanks again.

But that is also bad, that means its not compatible with the old definition, can someone send me the definition of the thing in case its is broken? Thanks!

Hi Martin,
I tested yesterday the binding and worked for 10 minutes, I could control volume and mute and had information about the source being TV or HDMI. I didn’t found if I was using an app (Netflix, HBO…) After that the status is offline.
I will be out of home for a couple of weeks, after that I will try to reboot just in case to have some control again and log what happens so you can update the binding acordingly.

If I can give you a suggestion of functionality it would be great if openhab knows about if an app is working, my usecase would be probably used by others. Ex: if the source is HDMI or an app I want to switch on the home cinema if it’s TV I don’t want the home cinema reproducing any sound as there won’t be 5.1 sound on standard TV channels.



Okay, so today I noticed that SamsungTV was offline so I started to capture the logs. I restarted the bundle from Karaf and it went online but changing the source did not change. Mute and volume did work. I rebooted and SourceName started again. After a while, it went offline again. Attached are the logs.


@Sergi_Suarez I added a new jar in the github issue which is already used for testing by @tdlr

About adding features, that is though for me since I do not have a TV & network who support upnp.

I posted my results in the OH2 issue: