Sensative Strips - a new "invisible" door & window sensor

Hi guys,

I’ve created an unboxing, installation and testing video covering the new and very nice door & window sensor called Strips, from Sensative. Anyone who is about to buy some magnetic sensors should really have a look at this new one as it’s just… cool :smile:

Testing Sensative Strips - The invisible Z-Wave window & door sensor

Let me know if you have any questions about it.

// Andreas

3 Likes

I need these!! :slight_smile:

Where did you buy them?

Hi Kjetil,

You can buy them from http://www.m.nu. The direct link is:

I believe the site is in Swedish only, but I’m sure you can find the Buy (“Köp”) button, and then the Checkout (“Kassa”) button :smile:

Best regards,
Andreas

Thanks!

I used to work for the Ericsson company (for 17 years), with frequent travels to the Lund/Malmö area, so I am sure I can manage, :smile:

You know, Sensative is a Swedish company located in Lund. If you go there again I’m sure they will let you drop by for a coffee :smile:

BTW; what type of Z-Wave controller are you using?

I’m using a Z-Stick from Aeon Labs connected to my Intel i5 NUC.

Did you try them out yet? :smile:

Unfortunately not yet. On the positive side they just opened a branch of Kjell & Company in my town - and they have Sensative Strips in their catalogue. On the negative side they are not currently in stock so I need to wait some more. I hope to have them in hand by Christmas, though. :slight_smile:

I just got two of those nice Strips, but I cannot manage to install them properly.

I use OpenHab 1.9. I only have the Aeon Z-stick gen 5 and two strips in the network. The two strips are sending signals to the controller, but I can only read the CLOSED signal. And the Strips show up as dead in Habmin (1.5), even though I can remove that status by opening and closing them.

Furthermore, the Strips are not recognized in Habmin.

My lines in items:

Contact Door1 “Door1 [MAP(en.map):%s]” (gG1) {zwave=“2”}
Contact Door2 “Door2 [MAP(en.map):%s]” (gG1) {zwave=“4”}

Is there any specific command I have to use?

Where can I find reliable documentation for the Strips?

Cheers.

Hej Micke,

Weird that you only see CLOSED and not OPEN. In my case I specify the command class as below, but I suspect it’s not needed.

{zwave=“2:command=sensor_binary”}

I’ve also set the configuration parameter #1 Notification type to 0. Did you try the same?

Best regards,
Andreas

Hej!

I haven’t specified the command class like that, but Sensative called me today and they said they didn’t use command classes (or something).

However, I tried configure it like you have and it made no difference for me.

This leaves us the only answer, which is the configuration parameter 1, which I still have in default setting (which is 1, I beleive).

What do you use to set that parameter? I’ve tried Habmin on Openhab 1.7 and 1.8 but the Strips wont be recognized in Habmin. I’ve tried InControl as well, but that didn’t work either.

Thanks!
Mikael

That would be strange - command classes are a fundamental part of the protocol…

Can you provide a debug log of what’s happening - if HABmin is showing the device is DEAD, then there’s something fundamentally wrong with communications…

Please note you will need the zwave addon from around mid November (or later) to have openHAB supporting Strips. If you haven’t downloaded a new zwave addon since then, pay https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB/ a visit.

Once you are using the new zwave addon you should see Strips when using HABmin and you are able to set the config parameter #1 to value 0, which is what I had to do to get it working.

When I think about, it might be that they didn’t use any specific command. The command I can see when I run OpenHab i debug mode is Alarm. And that is what he said that they are using. I think.

Note that I have about two days z-wave experience and that I did not talk to a tech person at Sensative :slight_smile:

Let us know when you’ve downloaded and tried with the latest zwave addons snapshot :smile:

I’ve been trying Openhab 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0.

Now I’ve tried with 1.8, but I suspect Habmin does not work as intended for some reason.

This is what I see for the strip in Habmin:

The binding is: Contact Door1 “Door1” (GF_Kitchen) {zwave=“2”}

This is what’s in my addons folder:

28/12/2015 00:13 19,589 org.openhab.binding.http-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 00:13 10,437 org.openhab.binding.ntp-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 00:14 1,132,580 org.openhab.binding.sonos-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
30/12/2015 22:33 1,133,742 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
30/12/2015 22:21 1,134,175 org.openhab.io.habmin-1.7.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 00:15 6,193 org.openhab.persistence.exec-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 00:15 7,380 org.openhab.persistence.logging-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 00:15 624,594 org.openhab.persistence.rrd4j-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 00:12 126 README

::m

It looks like HABmin is working fine to me?

It looks like the device is not communicating - does it need to be woken up (it’s battery operated after all)…

As I suggested earlier - please provide a log if it’s not working…

Hello,

This is a clean install of OpenHab 1.8 and Habmin 1.7.

This is what’s in addon:

31/12/2015 01:03 19,587 org.openhab.binding.http-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 10,436 org.openhab.binding.ntp-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
30/12/2015 22:33 1,133,742 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
30/12/2015 22:21 1,134,175 org.openhab.io.habmin-1.7.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 6,193 org.openhab.persistence.exec-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 7,378 org.openhab.persistence.logging-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 624,591 org.openhab.persistence.rrd4j-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 12:25 3,033,811 org.openhab.ui.habmin_2.0.0.SNAPSHOT-0.0.15.jar

This is the items file:

Group All
Group gGF

Group GF_Kitchen “Kitchen” (gGF)
Group GF_Toilet “Toilet” (gGF)

Contact Motion_GFToilet “Motion [MAP(motion.map):%s]” (GF_Toilet) { zwave=“7:command=sensor_binary,respond_to_basic=true” }
Number Alarm_GFToilet “Alarm: [%s]” (GF_Toilet) { zwave=“7:command=alarm” }
Number Temp_GFToilet “Temperature: [%.1f °C]” (GF_Toilet) { zwave=“7:command=sensor_multilevel,sensor_type=1,sensor_scale=0” }
Number Humid_GFToilet “Humidity: [%.0f %%]” (GF_Toilet) { zwave=“7:command=sensor_multilevel,sensor_type=5” }
Number Lumin_GFToilet “Luminance: [%.0f Lux]” (GF_Toilet) { zwave=“7:command=sensor_multilevel,sensor_type=3” }
Number Battery_GFToilet “Battery: [%d %%]” (GF_Toilet) { zwave=“7:command=battery” }

Contact Door_GF_Skafferad “Skafferåd” (GF_Kitchen) {zwave=“2”}
Contact Door_GF_Ytterdorr “Ytterdörr” (GF_Kitchen) {zwave=“4:command=ALARM”}

These are the log files from a fresh start to an end. Including the opening and closing of the door having the Strip.

events.log.json (130 Bytes)
2015_12_31.request.log.json (15.1 KB)
openhab.log.json (4.4 KB)

I don’t know what to expect in Habmin, but I don’t find any suitable place to set the configuration parameters.

::m

HABmin can’t provide you information about configuration etc until the device has initialised. Currently, the binding has not been able to initialise the device, so HABmin can’t provide much information.

Thanks for the logs - I’ll take a look tomorrow morning…