Sensative Strips - a new "invisible" door & window sensor

Sorry - I just had a quick look at the log - it must be a debug log for it to be of any use at all. Please run the system in debug mode, wake up the device a few times with the device close to the controller (a few meters or so) and then provide the debug log…

Thanks
Chris

Good morning,

Here’s the debug log.

I managed to wake it up and did see some progress in Habmin, a screenshot is attached.

2015_12_31.request.log.json (57.4 KB)
events.log.json (386 Bytes)
openhab.log.json (393.8 KB)

I don’t see any issues in the log, however you are running an old version of the binding - as already pointed out by @anordvall, you should upgrade to a recent version. Other than this, it looks like it should be working fine - the device hasn’t completed initialisation, but it’s on the last stage, so I think everything would be green if you’d woken it up one more time…

Chris

Yes, it feels like it’s getting closer :slight_smile:

Which binding are you referring to?

These are my addons:

31/12/2015 01:03 19,587 org.openhab.binding.http-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 10,436 org.openhab.binding.ntp-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
30/12/2015 22:33 1,133,742 org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
30/12/2015 22:21 1,134,175 org.openhab.io.habmin-1.7.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 6,193 org.openhab.persistence.exec-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 7,378 org.openhab.persistence.logging-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
31/12/2015 01:03 624,591 org.openhab.persistence.rrd4j-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
28/12/2015 12:25 3,033,811 org.openhab.ui.habmin_2.0.0.SNAPSHOT-0.0.15.jar

The zwave binding. In the log I see the following -:

Z-Wave binding started. Version 1.8.0.201508211938

This is 4 months old and doesn’t contain the right database.

I thought org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar was the latest?

Jenkins is down at the moment, but I’ll go have a look there later to see if there’s newer versions.

Or isn’t it that file even?

It is - but there is no version information on this filename and 1.8-SNAPSHOT has been the ‘latest’ for 6 months or more so you need to make sure you are using a recent version and you can’t tell this from the filename, or the date on the file. The version information is contained within the file, and this is what is printed when the binding starts, and this tells me the binding is from August (as per the information in my previous post).

Ah, that is good to know.

I have a feeling things will work as soon as I can get hold of the latest version of the latest file :smile:

Thanks!

Yes - I think it’s close - everything is looking ok I think :smile:

It works :smile:

I had to wake it up a couple of times. I have two of these Strips and it was the same with the other one.

Happy new year!

Mike,
can you please summarize your latest configuration and findings/recommendations to get it running?

Thx & Regards
John

My summary on how to get the Sensative Strips to work properly with OpenHab 1.8 (I’m using the latest build):

My setup:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of the zwave binding file (org.openhab.binding.zwave-1.8.0-SNAPSHOT.jar). Download the latest build from https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB
  2. Also make sure you have Habmin installed and functional
  3. Remove the Z-stick from and press the action button to enable inclusion mode.
  4. Remove both magnets from the Strips. This should include the Strips unit in the zwave network (which should be indicated by the controller).
    Note: if this fails, just perform a factory reset of the Strips Unit (info here: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1510)
  5. Put the controller back into the host computer, The NUC in my case.
  6. Reload Habmin and click the Configuration tab and the select the Bindings list. Select the Z-Wave bundle which loads in the right panel. Click the Devices tab which should display a list of all included units in the Z-Wave network. The new Strips Unit is most probably not initialized and ready yet, so there is no possibility to expand its Configuration Parameters.
  7. Keep the Strips Unit close to the Z-Stick and wake the device a couple of times (info here: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1510). If you want to understand what´s going on, run OpenHab in debug mode, by running start_debug.bat and monitor the console output.
  8. When the Strips Unit is initialized, change the configuration parameter #1 to 0 which makes it report as a binary sensor. Info here: http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1510/embedconfigs
  9. Add this to your .items file:
    Contact Door_My_Door "My Door" (gMyGroup) { zwave="1337:command=sensor_binary" }
    Contact is the binding type
    Door_My_Door is the item variable name
    "My Door" is the item text
    (gMyGroup) is to which group it is added
    { zwave=“1337:command=sensor_binary” } is the Z-Wave binding info where 1337 is the Z-Wave node ID and command=sensor_binary tells OpenHab how to interpret the Strips messages. The sensor_binary is the detail that makes the Strips unit to handle OPEN and CLOSED.
  10. This should make the Strips unit report OPEN and CLOSED which is what we want.

That’s all, I think :smile:

2 Likes

I’ll check your how-to within next weeks amd give you feedback.

Thank you for your support :slight_smile:

Hi,

sounds cool, do I get you right you only use

{zwave=“2:command=sensor_binary”}

in your item-entry. Where do you set the parameter in Habmin.

Tks.

Kind regards

Peter

Finally, I got my sensative strip. I could follow your how-to-manual (thank you!!!) until step 8 but I don’t see any
parameter #1
that I can
set to "0".

Can you pls describe where I can find these parameter?

Thanks & regards
John

^^^^^ What @anordvall said!

The strange thing going on here, is that you may have to repeat the init process until it gets recognized, which can take a couple of attempts. Another important thing is that you have to have a recent version of OpenHab, so that the device is available in “device dictionary”, which is compiled into the assembly.

Yes, that is the secret whereas “a couple” is a really undefined number of tries. In my case it was something around 10 attempts beside the fact that my log said “too many retries”.

Another issue was that the binding didn’t work properly. When I upgraded to the latest snapshot everything was working fine.

Hi guys,

where do I find the latest snapshot of the zwave binding?
I have tried with the one comes in the 1.8.2 addons package and it didnt worked at all , got a-lot of java exceptions when tried to list the zwave devices in HABmin .
when I test with the Snapshot version that comes with HABmin i can list the zwave devices but i dont have the option to configure the device to use binary notification.

my setup:

• Synology ds214se
  • OpenHAB 1.8.2
  • Java 7
  • HABmin 1.7.0-SNAPSHOT
  • Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5
  • Sensative strips

https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/