Share Z-wave dongle over IP (USB over IP using ser2net / socat ) guide

Are you thinking about the Remote Openhab binding?

Yeah, but now that I understand it more, it seems that I would have to run a full copy of OpenHab server on the Raspberry Pi. I think for now keeping it lightweight and continuing to use ser2net makes more sense.

The ser2net + socat approach has been okay. Only main issue I’ve come across is that anytime the connection between ser2net and socat is lost, I have to restart OpenHab.

I think he means that originally the sharing of a dongle over IP was achieved by installing ser2net on the machine sharing the dongle and socat on openhab machine.

Then, not sure when exactly, the zwave binding has been extended to support the configuration of the serial port like this:
rfc2217://192.168.101.xx:nnnn
basically removing the need to install and configure socat on the openhab machine.

That does seem to make it way better, very Interesting. Found a forum topic on it here: [SOLVED] [Zwave, Zigbee, ...] RFC2217 remote serial port HowTo? Seems to have been added since 2.4/2.5. Unclear if it’s working in 3.x, but I’ll try it out soon.

Also nice to see RFC2217 is a thing, didn’t know that.

EDIT: ah… just saw the info 2 posts above my original, I completely missed that.

This worked perfectly for me. Thank you for this!

1 Like

Awesome, glad it helped someone!

Could this be used to expose an Insteon PLM and share it with another sytem say for instance Home Assistant so that both openHAB and Home Assistant could control the associated switches and dimmers?

I wanted to note this here (for myself and others) that in order for rfc2217 to work from OpenHAB, the ser2net.conf config file must be setup to use telnet and not raw.

For example, this is what I have for FreeBSD on a Raspberry Pi with a Z-Wave Plus USB stick:

3333:telnet:0:/dev/cuaU0:115200 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

In OpenHAB I have:

Yes, you can now have multiple:

FreeBSD run on an RPi? One learns something new every day. I’ve always had a fondness for FreeBSD.

Didn’t want to give my two cents to this topic, until I tested myself:

So for me ser2net is working great for OH and zwave-js-ui. “rfc2217” instead of “tcp” might be only possible in OH (not zwave-js-ui)

Usind socat after all to create a virtualDevice makes no sense for me. (see tcp://)
I can also say that unplug and replug USB and LAN-Cable is catched by ser2net, what might it make realy stable and I am going to test this now over multiply househoods. (Saving money for Server :wink: