Windows 10 X64

• Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version

Zulu 8.44

• openHAB version:

openHAB 2.5.2

• Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue

Trying to add my first devices

Hi Peeps,

I have just set up OpenHab and am having issues getting it to control my light bulbs. These are about as generic as could be - controlled by the Smart Life app on my phone. I thought these things are so common that it would be an “out of the box” thing but it does not look like it is.

I have found a lint giving details on adding the MQQT broker followed by adding tuya-mqtt… and that’s where it all falls apart. I have found instruction to add it in a unix system but nothing for windows.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be so grateful.

Thanks.

Hi Everso, welcome to the OpenHAB community and great first post!!!
I’m guessing your first step is to get a mqtt broker running and working with your OpenHAB set up. Here is link to download page

A lot of us find a mqtt client such as mqttfx is helpful for making sure your broker is functioning
http://www.mqttfx.org/
Then work on the tuya-mqtt which I know nothing about but ask in the forum when you get stuck and folks will help
Mqtt isn’t the simplest thing to get working and understand but you’ll figure it out
Have fun!!!

We need details. There is no such thing as a generic smart device. :frowning:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Andrew. I installed it… no errors oranything but it also does not seem to have done anything. Nothing I can see is different.

And I’m still unable to get the tuya-mqqt installed.

not sure you are going to see anything until you get it working
Have you gotten your broker showing as online in OpenHAB?

a quick search for tuya on this forum revealed lots of threads
here is one

Not really sure if it’s on-line or not. I don’t think it is.

That thread is one of the many I found but none of them help with windows. They step after the MQQT installed I apparently need to install the tuya bit … ant like I said - it’s all unix and I really don’t fancy going that way.

I’m starting to think openhab is not for me…