Smoke Detector - Overview

Hi Community, I am searching for a smoke detector I can use at home. Unfortunately there are so many and I miss an actual overview with the most important data. Searching the internet, I realised other are desperate too. Can you help me making a list of Smart Smoke detectors? If you use one, please add it here and try to keep the information similar. This will help others too.

Name: Google Nest Protect 2nd Generation
Protocol: WiFi (check Notes)
Power: replacable special Battery OR external power supply
Device Features: Co2 Alarm, Voice feedback, Group Alarm, Pre-Alarm, Detection switchable, Motion Sensor, Night light, Water-Steam detection
Openhab Features: String Alarm, String CO_Alarm, Switch Battery_Low, Switch Manual_Test, DateTime Last_Connection, DateTime Last_Manual_Test, String UI_Color (check Notes)
Notes: !!!no possibility to connect to Openhab without old Nest Account which is not longer issued!!! link

Name: Homematic HM-Sec-SD-2 / Innogy SmartHome WSD-2.0
Protocol: 868MHz Homematic
Power: non replacable Battery
Device Features: Group Alarm, Emergency light
Openhab Features: Switch State, Switch Batter_Low
Notes:

Name: Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW
Protocol: zigbee
Power: replacable Battery
Device Features:
Openhab Features: smoke, battery_low, tamper, battery, sensitivity, smoke_density, selftest, voltage, test, linkquality
Notes: Unfortunately, the Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW are no longer manufactured and very hard to get. On Ali you can only find the BT version

Name : Elro Connects
Protocol : 868MHz to Wifi Hub
Power : replacable batteries, 3 years
Device Features : smoke alarm on all devices in same group
Openhab Features : Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch testAlarm, Switch muteAlarm, Number battery, Switch lowBattery
Notes : other types of sensors and devices can connect to the same hub (water alarm, CO alarm, window/door contact, motion sensor, temperature/humidiy monitor, plug-in switch). There is a PR for a binding in review. A beta version of a binding is available in the marketplace, more info see here. Testing and feedback welcome to finalize review process.

Name : First Alert Smoke and CO Alarm
Protocol : ZWave
Power : AA batteries
Device Features : smoke alarm, CO alarm
Openhab Features : Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch alarmTriggered, Switch CO alarm, Number battery
Notes : https://www.firstalert.com/smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/combo-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/wireless-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarm-works-with-zwave-ring/SAP_ZCOMBO.html

2 Likes

As far as I understand the binding’s description integration with openhab only works for old, non migrated Nest accounts - not for new accounts at google.

Thats why I wrote complicated with a link to keep this as an simple overview.

You can find quite a few ZigBee based devices listed here.
I am personally using the Xiaomi once.

Could you post details in this style:
Name :
Protocol :
Power :
Device Features :
Openhab Features :
Notes :

Sure, see below:

Name : Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW
Protocol : zigbee
Power : battery
Device Features : smoke, battery_low, tamper, battery, sensitivity, smoke_density, selftest, voltage, test, linkquality
Openhab Features : see above (depends on what you implement in OH)
Notes : —

I guess you could just copy the content of my link though.

1 Like

I will, thank you very much. Ist the battery replaceable and are there functions like disabling the device?

Yes, batteries can be replaced but I don’t think you can’t “turn it off”, you could though just remove battery or turn smoke sensitivity super low.

Edit: typo

1 Like

Name: Elro Connects
Protocol: 868MHz to Wifi Hub
Power: replacable batteries, 3 years
Device Features: smoke alarm on all devices in same group
Openhab Features: Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch testAlarm, Switch muteAlarm, Number battery, Switch lowBattery
Notes: other types of sensors and devices can connect to the same hub (water alarm, CO alarm, window/door contact, motion sensor, temperature/humidiy monitor, plug-in switch). There is a PR for a binding in review. A beta version of a binding is available in the marketplace, more info see here. Testing and feedback welcome to finalize review process.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW are no longer manufactured and very hard to get. On Ali you can only find the BT version

1 Like

Also you can “build” your own one, with a MQ-2 sensor and a Esp32/Esp8266, using EspHome, or Tasmota to integrate with OpenHAB through MQTT. It is very easy, there are a lot of tutorials. Is not the same, but could be an alternative.

I have made one, the “complicated” part is the calibration if you need to know the ppp concentration. But you could use it simply with some kind of rule adjusting some V threshold on the analog reading.

1 Like

Is this for the Elro Smokedetector?

No, it is a MQ-2 sensor attached to a Esp32 with EspHome publishing to OpenHAB using MQTT.

Edit: Search MQ-2 (and optionally Arduino, Esp32, Esp8266) and you find a lot of tutorials to do it. For example:
MQ2 Gas Sensor Tutorial for Arduino, ESP8266 and ESP32 (diyi0t.com)

Oh ok, build your own smoke detector. I was not sure if you talk about a building a Gateway.

1 Like

Name : First Alert Smoke and CO Alarm
Protocol : ZWave
Power : AA batteries
Device Features : smoke alarm, CO alarm
Openhab Features : Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch alarmTriggered, Switch CO alarm, Number battery
Notes : https://www.firstalert.com/smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/combo-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/wireless-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarm-works-with-zwave-ring/SAP_ZCOMBO.html

1 Like

In the DIY category is to add connectivity to an existing model.

Could you post details in this style:
Name :
Protocol :
Power :
Device Features :
Openhab Features :
Notes :