Smoke Detector - Overview

Hi Community, I am searching for a smoke detector I can use at home. Unfortunately there are so many and I miss an actual overview with the most important data. Searching the internet, I realised other are desperate too. Can you help me making a list of Smart Smoke detectors? If you use one, please add it here and try to keep the information similar. This will help others too.

Name: Google Nest Protect 2nd Generation
Protocol: WiFi (check Notes)
Power: replacable special Battery OR external power supply
Device Features: Co2 Alarm, Voice feedback, Group Alarm, Pre-Alarm, Detection switchable, Motion Sensor, Night light, Water-Steam detection
Openhab Features: String Alarm, String CO_Alarm, Switch Battery_Low, Switch Manual_Test, DateTime Last_Connection, DateTime Last_Manual_Test, String UI_Color (check Notes)
Notes: !!!no possibility to connect to Openhab without old Nest Account which is not longer issued!!! link

Name: Homematic HM-Sec-SD-2 / Innogy SmartHome WSD-2.0
Protocol: 868MHz Homematic
Power: non replacable Battery
Device Features: Group Alarm, Emergency light
Openhab Features: Switch State, Switch Batter_Low
Notes:

Name: Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW
Protocol: zigbee
Power: replacable Battery
Device Features:
Openhab Features: smoke, battery_low, tamper, battery, sensitivity, smoke_density, selftest, voltage, test, linkquality
Notes: Unfortunately, the Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW are no longer manufactured and very hard to get. On Ali you can only find the BT version

Name : Elro Connects
Protocol : 868MHz to Wifi Hub
Power : replacable batteries, 3 years
Device Features : smoke alarm on all devices in same group
Openhab Features : Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch testAlarm, Switch muteAlarm, Number battery, Switch lowBattery
Notes : other types of sensors and devices can connect to the same hub (water alarm, CO alarm, window/door contact, motion sensor, temperature/humidiy monitor, plug-in switch). There is a PR for a binding in review. A beta version of a binding is available in the marketplace, more info see here. Testing and feedback welcome to finalize review process.

Name : First Alert Smoke and CO Alarm
Protocol : ZWave
Power : AA batteries
Device Features : smoke alarm, CO alarm
Openhab Features : Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch alarmTriggered, Switch CO alarm, Number battery
Notes : https://www.firstalert.com/smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/combo-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/wireless-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarm-works-with-zwave-ring/SAP_ZCOMBO.html

Name: Shelly Smoke PLus
Protocol: WiFi, Bluetooth
Power: replacable battery CR123A
Device Features: Smoke Alarm, Test, red diode + siren, MQTT,
Openhab Features: ready-to-use, universal via MQTT notificate about smoke alarm, share status battery, etc…
Notes: **Battery powered, goes sleep after 2 minutes. Cannot be controlled externally via MQTT! (run siren in case of burglar etc.) No external power option. Detailed tutorial how to get it to openHAH via MQTT can be found in our blog: https://opentux.eu/blog/pihome/shelly-openhab

3 Likes

As far as I understand the binding’s description integration with openhab only works for old, non migrated Nest accounts - not for new accounts at google.

Thats why I wrote complicated with a link to keep this as an simple overview.

You can find quite a few ZigBee based devices listed here.
I am personally using the Xiaomi once.

Could you post details in this style:
Name :
Protocol :
Power :
Device Features :
Openhab Features :
Notes :

Sure, see below:

Name : Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW
Protocol : zigbee
Power : battery
Device Features : smoke, battery_low, tamper, battery, sensitivity, smoke_density, selftest, voltage, test, linkquality
Openhab Features : see above (depends on what you implement in OH)
Notes : —

I guess you could just copy the content of my link though.

1 Like

I will, thank you very much. Ist the battery replaceable and are there functions like disabling the device?

Yes, batteries can be replaced but I don’t think you can’t “turn it off”, you could though just remove battery or turn smoke sensitivity super low.

Edit: typo

1 Like

Name: Elro Connects
Protocol: 868MHz to Wifi Hub
Power: replacable batteries, 3 years
Device Features: smoke alarm on all devices in same group
Openhab Features: Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch testAlarm, Switch muteAlarm, Number battery, Switch lowBattery
Notes: other types of sensors and devices can connect to the same hub (water alarm, CO alarm, window/door contact, motion sensor, temperature/humidiy monitor, plug-in switch). There is a PR for a binding in review. A beta version of a binding is available in the marketplace, more info see here. Testing and feedback welcome to finalize review process.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the Xiaomi JTYJ-GD-01LM/BW are no longer manufactured and very hard to get. On Ali you can only find the BT version

1 Like

Also you can “build” your own one, with a MQ-2 sensor and a Esp32/Esp8266, using EspHome, or Tasmota to integrate with OpenHAB through MQTT. It is very easy, there are a lot of tutorials. Is not the same, but could be an alternative.

I have made one, the “complicated” part is the calibration if you need to know the ppp concentration. But you could use it simply with some kind of rule adjusting some V threshold on the analog reading.

1 Like

Is this for the Elro Smokedetector?

No, it is a MQ-2 sensor attached to a Esp32 with EspHome publishing to OpenHAB using MQTT.

Edit: Search MQ-2 (and optionally Arduino, Esp32, Esp8266) and you find a lot of tutorials to do it. For example:
MQ2 Gas Sensor Tutorial for Arduino, ESP8266 and ESP32 (diyi0t.com)

Oh ok, build your own smoke detector. I was not sure if you talk about a building a Gateway.

1 Like

Name : First Alert Smoke and CO Alarm
Protocol : ZWave
Power : AA batteries
Device Features : smoke alarm, CO alarm
Openhab Features : Trigger channel smoke alarm, Switch alarmTriggered, Switch CO alarm, Number battery
Notes : https://www.firstalert.com/smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/combo-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarms/wireless-smoke-carbon-monoxide-alarm-works-with-zwave-ring/SAP_ZCOMBO.html

1 Like

In the DIY category is to add connectivity to an existing model.

Could you post details in this style:
Name :
Protocol :
Power :
Device Features :
Openhab Features :
Notes :

Hi,
adding a Shelly Smoke Plus

Name: Shelly Smoke PLus
Protocol: WiFi, Bluetooth
Power: replacable battery CR123A
Device Features: Smoke Alarm, Test, red diode + siren, MQTT,
Openhab Features: ready-to-use, universal via MQTT notificate about smoke alarm, share status battery, etc…
Notes: **Battery powered, goes sleep after 2 minutes. Cannot be controlled externally via MQTT! (run siren in case of burglar etc.) No external power option.

Detailed tutorial how to get it to openHAH via MQTT can be found in our blog:
https://opentux.eu/blog/pihome/shelly-openhab

2 Likes