[SOLVED]How does a dimmer work?

Hi i want to command a sonoff dual for a blind
but in addition to two switches to raise and lower the shutter I would like to put a dimmer to select the% opening or closing.
Can you help me pls?

i want to create a rule that when i set a value for the dimmer the rule calcolate the paramater for the command PulseTIME IF THE SONOFF
I did it but is wrong:

rule "apertura"

var % = item apertura * 0,24

if % < 11
then 
x = % * 10

Item LivingRoom_Light1.sendCommand(PulseTime1 x)
end

if % > 11
then 
x = % + 111

Item LivingRoom_Light1.sendCommand(PulseTime1 x)
end

if % < 11
then 
x = % * 10

Item LivingRoom_Light2.sendCommand(PulseTime2 x)
end

if % > 11
then 
x = % + 111

Item LivingRoom_Light2.sendCommand(PulseTime2 x)
end

Read through the rule docs first, what you have posted is far from the right syntax.

But how can i send a command (as i insert in the console of a sonoff) ?

Lots of resources here on the forum, try searching:

https://community.openhab.org/search?q=Sonoff

But do a dimmer returns a value?
Example
Item dimmer is e number?

That depends very much on your specific setup. You NEED to read and understand the docs, both for openhab in general, and the specifics of the binding and devices you use, and search the forum. I can’t do that for you.

Sorry for being harsh, but I can’t even begin to explain things if you don’t have an understanding of the basic OH concepts, and I won’t use my time to explain those, since they are already in the docs.

1 Like

look that

rule "apertura1"

when 

item LivingRoom_Light1 changed to ON

then 

x = (apertura.state * 24)
 thread::sleep(x)
LivingRoom_Light1.sendCommand(OFF)
end

24 because the time to closed my shutter is 24 sec.
I want to use the dimmer to detrmine the % of closure
But it doesn’t work

But the “X” of the command “sleep” is in seconds?

when i save the rules i have:

2019-03-19 15:14:38.820 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model ‘apertura.rules’

2019-03-19 15:14:38.827 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘apertura.rules’ is either empty or cannot be parsed correctly!

2019-03-19 15:14:39.946 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘apertura.rules’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [5,1]: no viable alternative at input ‘item’

This looks better, I can see you are trying now. The error is because item needs no be capitalized: Item.
Then there’s some other small errors:

rule "apertura1"

when 

Item LivingRoom_Light1 changed to ON

then 

var x = (apertura.state * 24)
 Thread::sleep(x)
end

However, using Thread::sleep for long periods of time (>1 second) is a bad idea because it can block other rules from running, see here for more info. Instead use a timer

rule "apertura1"

when 

then 

var x = (apertura.state * 24)
 createTimer(now.plusSeconds(x)) [|
]
end

It has the same result, but is safer to use.

I can’t guarantee everything is correct, typing on my phone and cannot test the rules.

I tried but when i save the file. rules on the log i have this:

2019-03-19 18:44:27.846 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model ‘apertura.rules’

2019-03-19 18:44:27.859 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘apertura.rules’ is either empty or cannot be parsed correctly!

2019-03-19 18:44:29.209 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model ‘apertura.rules’

This is expected behavior if you are using samba to access the rule files. Java is trying to load the file before it is fully written, hence the warning
and the last log message that is logged when the complete file finally is read, tells you that all went well eventually.

No it doesn’t work.
But is it possible to do the debug?

In the Timer function la x is in sec?

Unfortunately, this statement gives no information as to what exactly does not work
hence makes it not possible to help you.
maye a few more pointers for your to read: How to ask a good question / Help Us Help You

Yes you can add logInfo statements; the docs are your friend: https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/actions.html#logging-actions
Using logInfo statements can be used to log the values of all variables and Item.state and also, if well done, tell you exactly at which line your rule is failing. Use them generously.

Sorry, I don;t understand even the question
what is “la x”
but here a guess: the argument x for the timer is represented in seconds.

Look that

2019-03-19 20:13:01.873 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule ‘apertura’: Unknown variable or command ‘*’; line 9, column 10, length 19

it seems that the symbol “*” (moltiplication) is not recognized

what is the right symbol for moltiplication?

i report all part:

rule "apertura"

when 

then 

var x = (Apertura.state * 24)

]
end

I see a few issues with your rule.

First, a dimmer item has a value between 0 and 100 (where 0 also means OFF and 100 also stands for ON for most devices). You should divide the value by 100 to get a time between 0-24 seconds.
However, I’m not sure this works like you expect. Let’s say you move the Apertura slider to 50% and hit the switch, the value 50 wll be used in the rule and the shutter will move to halfway, in 12 seconds. Then you move the slider to 70% and the value 70 will be used in the rule, activating the switch for ~17 seconds.

This is probably because the DSL rules engine doesn’t know how to convert the types and assumes they ar strings (which cannot be multiplied). Try this:

var x = (apertura.state as Number) * 0.24

You have unerstood.
But i doesn’t work :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

rule "apertura"

when 

then 

var x = (apertura.state as Number * 0.24)

]
end

The rule seems good.
I do not uderstand where is the problem
now i have this error
2019-03-19 20:59:28.134 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule ‘apertura’: The name ‘apertura’ cannot be resolved to an item or type; line 9, column 10, length 8

That’s because the item name is Apertura, not apertura as I noticed in the screenshots you showed.

i changed it

When i set a value (ex 37) of the dimmer i have:

2019-03-19 22:33:14.495 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘DimmerCam’ received command 37

2019-03-19 22:33:14.508 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - DimmerCam predicted to become 37

2019-03-19 22:33:14.531 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DimmerCam changed from UNDEF to 37

2019-03-19 22:33:14.543 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - DimmerCam changed from 37 to UNDEF

I don’t uderstand why DimmerCam go to 37 and then go automatically to UNDEF

Infact now if i push on OPEN i have

2019-03-19 22:33:38.896 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘LivingRoom_Light1’ received command ON

2019-03-19 22:33:38.913 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - LivingRoom_Light1 changed from OFF to ON

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==

2019-03-19 22:33:39.105 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule ‘apertura’: Could not cast UNDEF to java.lang.Number; line 11, column 11, length 25

rule "apertura"

when 

then

var x = (DimmerCam.state as Number * 0.24)

]
end