[SOLVED] New UZB dongle, Z-Wave PC controller immediately exits (or crashes) with no error message

Generally, the USZ and the Aeon are the same - at this stage, there is only a single manufacturer of ZWave components (+/-).

The Aeon is larger - this is because it has a battery which allows you to move around the house to include or exclude devices - many people find this useful, but note that you can’t do this with secure devices. As @leif points out - it has a “nice” flashing LED which can act as a range meter, or it can also be damn annoying if you have to look at it in your house.

2 Likes

@Chris, would you happen to know if there’s any difference in the firmware between the UZB and the Aeotec that results in performance advantages/disadvantages?

I’d forgotten about the battery on the Aeotec, that can be useful sometimes, though these days I tend to put the stick in network inclusion mode from the PaperUI.

The Aeon has quite old firmware and the UZB is likely newer, but I doubt it makes a lot of difference. Most of the “smart stuff” is not in the firmware - it’s in the binding. Everything relating to command classes etc is binding code - the controller “simply” handles the sending of frames, inclusion, routing etc.

Hello hunnypuppy, thank you for sharing the firmware update procedure.
I tried to follow your example. But if I try the LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./libs ./z-way-server statement in Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS I recieve the error message:
cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Any idea, what went wrong?
Thanks a lot!