[SOLVED] OpenHAB 2.5 RC 1 Critical Issues

We now have 3 Pi users and 1 Windows user reporting issue with zwave stick repeatedly going online and offline.
@davorf has extensively tested on Windows
@djuscha @MrPetter and @giantpopples all reporting problems although Romain seems to have resolved his issues with snapshot but others it did not resolve issue?
All 4 please report model of zwave dongle in case that is an issue.
I know Chris has been super busy in case anyone else can pitch in and he said serial implementation had recently changed
also is there an issue for this on github and if so please link if not already in thread and also if not please ping me and I will help getting one going thanks

Mine is Aeotec Z-Stick S2.

Best regards,
Davor

got last night on openHAB 2.5.0 Build # 1776 update offline / online problem is gone
But I have Openhabian on Raspberry3 ZME-UZB1 Stick

1 Like

@chris can verify but as far as I am aware there were no zwave binding changes other than database updates between M6 and RC1.
The Windows user resorts back to a snapshot before M1. I know there were a lot of changes since then that have been extensively tested.

Correct - the last changes to the binding were well over 2 months ago (before M5 even I suspect) and even those were extremely minor changes.

1 Like

The z-wave symptoms could be caused by interactions with other changed bindings then, possibly related to controller hardware.

Exactly what ā€œsymptomsā€ are you talking about? Is this still related to serial port problems?

Again, Iā€™m not really sure I follow what you are getting at. The binding talks to the controller via a serial port. The Java driver, which includes part of the host side is included in the openHAB serial bundle. This will also use the serial port driver from the underlying OS. The controller hardware itself is therefore well abstracted from the binding.

Or maybe Iā€™m missing what you mean?

I agree they may be serial related.

2 Likes

OK wellā€¦ I willing to say the issue of zwave controllers repeatedly going online and offline may not be directly related to an issue with the zwave binding itself. (seems unlikely since nothing much has changed in the binding) At least one and maybe two users with the issue were running other bindings that used serial.
Does anyone know where the repo for the embedded serial driver is so maybe I can create an issue there on github but looks to late, I guest stable release will go ahead tomorrow with this little glitch still there. Pity

Is it really the serial driver?
I just saw another posting that gave me an idea. If those with issues are running a USB drive on the Pi, is it possibly conflicting with the Z-Wave controller? That could help isolate the issue.

As far as Iā€™ve seen, only 1 person has this issue. Iā€™ve seen others report some issues, but Iā€™m not convinced they are the same (at least one is now confirmed to not be related).

Still - you can add an issue here -:

There have been no changes to this for a few years now - possibly it should be updated to incorporate the
updates in master (this is always the problem with creating a fork - no-one here is probably maintaining it).

1 Like

That fork is no longer updated because it is no longer used since OH 2.4.0.
Instead we use a recompiled version of nrjavaserial that has one change only: it doesnā€™t use liblockdev.
That library does not work well with newer Linux distributions.

See also:

2 Likes

I thought that was the repo I referenced? Where is the ā€œrecompiled versionā€ source now stored?

There is no need for storing and maintaining a fork because all the builder does is clone the original nrjavaserial repo and use some different compiler options. See the entrypoint.sh.

Ah - ok, so we are using the standard nrserial repo, just compiled differently. Thatā€™s fine then - thanks.

Maybe we should remove this repo - or mark it clearly as not used? There are a few repos kicking around that arenā€™t used and confuse people (thereā€™s a ZigBee one with nothing in it as well and I often get questions about it!).

1 Like

I guess open an issue :smiley::wink:

How would I do that? issues are not accepted.

@Kai any ideas how to collect this list and archive off the repos?

Somebody found that having a binding fail to load (http in this case) caused their reloading issues.

And an explanation

1 Like

Hello!

This was the issue with my OH installation. It wasnā€™t addons.cfg, but addons.config file (in OpenHAB\userdata\config\org\openhab folder) that had plex and plex1 in bindings section (even though thereā€™s only OH1 binding for Plex). After removing it and updating OH to the latest nightly, Z-Wave controller works as expected.

Thank you all for suggestions and help.

Best regards,
Davor

2 Likes