Dear openHAB community,
I have now spend a full day trying to get OpenHAB up and runing.
It has been a disaster. I am used to installing open source software on Ubuntu. I have been able to install and get running: Oscam, FHEM, Logitech Media Server (Squeezebox), and other things.
But what I have found here, is really bad. Let me please give you some hints:
- Version 2.x is unstable and does not work well
- the whole project is somewehere between old, file based configuration, and new, web UI based configuration - the new things are not ready and unstable, and there is a wild mix of support and community blogs, including WRONG “Beginners” documentation, which leads to a complete confusion as to what is working how in which release
I “just wanted” to connect my Fritz!Dect 200 devices via an HUE simulation to Logitech Harmony - I have given up. Why?
- no way to get item tags edited in 2.x in a way that is understandable in less then two hours
- it even took me four hours to find out that tags are not supported in the web ui
- and I just cannot edit item files, as all is stored in a DB, which is not accessible/editable by item files
- “stable” version 2.x is incomplete - the first steps mentioned in begginers docu do not work (!!)
- latest 2.5 version (which someone told me to install on this community) does not connect over hue service to logitech harmony
I have given up - I am sorry to bring you the bad news.
I wish the community and all new members more patience and more luck then I had.