[SOLVED] Weatherflow Smart Weather Station binding

Have a look at this thread for information about the values of wind observations:

The values of the hub get updated as often as the hub sends updates. I don’t know if there’s a defined period, but my hub (which is a few years old) reports its status (via a HubStatusV30Message) every 10 seconds. The information isn’t terribly interesting; it’s mostly there to indicate that the device is still alive.

Are you seeing Hub status messages in your log file?

No i don’t see the hub message only the sensor messages

here is my config

Bridge weatherflowsmartweather:hub:outside "SmartWeather HUB"  [ serial_number="HB-000xxxxx" ] {
    Thing tempest ST-000xxxxx "SmartWeather tempest"  [ serial_number="ST-000xxxxx" ]
}

If you’re not seeing hub status messages, and you’re also not seeing any exceptions in the log file, it might mean your hub isn’t sending any. You’d need to snoop around your network to see if you can see them.

The weatherflow documentation has information about what you should be looking for:

I should probably note that the binding is designed to use auto-discovery, and I don’t use item files, so I’m not really able to rule out a problem there. I’m not suggesting there is a problem, just pointing out my limitations!

I see the message with UDP scanner of android but i see it only with auto discovery not with self defined thing in openhab

Do you see lines in your openhab log file indicating that they’re being received? You’ll need to enable debug logging, which is described in one of the messages just above. There’s a message that also shows what the log output looks like. You’re looking for Hub Status V30 messages.

Yes I see

2020-11-21 01:13:50.906 [DEBUG] [l.SmartWeatherUDPListenerServiceImpl] - Sending message HubStatusV30Message [firmware_revision=147, uptime=100247, rssi=-48, timestamp=1605917612, reset_flags=BOR,PIN,POR, seq=10019] for  3 listeners.

But no values been updated if I add the bridge manually only via auto discovery

The device values been updated by adding manually or via auto discovery

I never get this message

logger.warn(“station status but not for us.”);

So I think what I see in the code there is no more debug message might it be possible you can check by yourself or send me one jar file with mor debug messages?

@hww3 I found the problem you have an issue in your constructor of the bridge device (=hub). You are not reading the configuration file. Might it be possible you can change this???

In this function can you implement

public void initialize() {
        if (udpListener != null) {
            udpListener.registerListener(this);
            updateStatus(ThingStatus.ONLINE);

} else {
            updateStatus(ThingStatus.OFFLINE);
        }

Something like

getConfigAs(weatherflowsmartweatherconfig.class)

You can Check also here https://github.com/openhab/openhab-addons/blob/main/bundles/org.openhab.binding.harmonyhub/src/main/java/org/openhab/binding/harmonyhub/internal/handler/HarmonyHubHandler.java

I can’t see the last code version on bitbucket therefore I can’t do a pull request.

Hi all,

my binding seems to not want to start either with the newest version I downloaded:

[WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall        ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/usr/share/openhab2/addons/org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather-2.5.11-SNAPSHOT.jar org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather [257]

Any one any idea what to do? :slight_smile:

Owner ist openhab:openhab and chown is 0777, any idea why it does not want to install?

Have you checked if the feature “openhab-core-automation” is installed and active?
Use Karaf console to check:
Karaf> feature:list | grep openhab-core-automation.
If this feature ist not installed, you need to do it manually:
Karaf> feature:install openhab-core-automation.
After installation of this feature your weatherflow-binding shound install without any error.

1 Like

That did the trick, thanks so much!!!

Hi-

The code isn’t hosted at bitbucket anymore, it’s at source hut. I’m just using bitbucket to host the binaries.

I don’t think adding a call to getConfigAs will solve the problem; that only provides access to a configuration that already exists. I assume that the thing is in existence because it’s being created based on your configuration file. I vaguely recall someone else using item files, you might look back through the conversation thread for some ideas.

Hi Bill,
The 2.5.11 version works, thanks!

One minor detail is that the wind gust speed is showing 15 significant digits, the others just one. Could that be rounding after calculating the km/h value?

Most likely. The default formatting rules specify 1 decimal place, but if you’ve got a custom item, that configuration won’t be honored… you’d have to specify a custom formatting there.

All wind speed items (avg, lull and gust) are setup the same way, formatted as Number:Speed.

You’d need to specify the format pattern, something like “%.1f”. If you’re using item files, this will need to be specified. If you’re using paper ui, you might need to recreate your item, as changes to the channel definitions in the binding don’t update items already created.

works great thanx!

Hi, the rain start event ist parsed, also i dont see it in the logs. and most likely the thunderstorm events… but there wasnt lightning for about a month here…

is it possible to add this to the binding? is there a github or so where we can contribute?

thanx!

Hi-

Support for Rules triggers based on the Precipitation Start and Lightning Strike events was added in the latest release. It admittedly is not well tested, but it ought to work.

What station are you using? How do you know the events are being generated? If you have debug logging enabled for “org.openhab.binding.weatherflowsmartweather” you should see the messages being received and sent as openhab events for the rules triggers. If you don’t have a rule set up to trigger, then nothing will happen.

The master repository is located at:

I would be pleased to to receive patches; just send them to the mailing list described in the readme.

Im using the Tempest.

i will check if it works by enabling the debug logging… i don’t see a openhab event now when the rain starts, as i see an event for rapid wind change, maybe its hidden in the log, so will check with the debug on.

i know there is a rain start event, because the tempest app sends me a notification that rain has started.

as stated above, my coding skills are not that great, but i like to try… so i will certainly check en try to help…

Ah i looked over it… in the log:

2020-12-14 22:29:02.635 [.PrecipitationStartedEvent] - Rapid Wind at 'PrecipitationStartedData{bridgeUID=weatherflowsmartweather:hub:outside, thingUID=weatherflowsmartweather:tempest:outside:ST-00017717, epoch=2020-12-14T22:28:59.000+01:00}'.

i was mislead bij “Rapid Wind at”

do you have examples of how to create a rule for rain start?

thanx!