[SOLVED] [ZWAVE] Device not showing when Searching for Things

Yes, but not that will be applicable here. There is a totally new standard now, but that will not work at all with the current binding, or with any other current software on the market.

This cannot have changed.

I’m not really sure why you think that? From what I saw in the logs earlier, the controller was being put into inclusion mode, and the controller was responding to say it was going into inclusion mode.

Possible.

It could also be some other systematic issue to do with the way this is being done. It’s strange that the controller only seems to ever allow one device to join, so it’s either something to do with the way that devices are being included, or possibly the controller isn’t working (although this is a very strange failure mode!).

Could it be I’m adding the USB ZWave Serial Controller wrong?
When running OpenHAB on a mac should I set the controller’s Serial Port as:
cu.usbmodem?
or
tty.usbmodem?

Not really - the binding is communicating with it just fine. As per the log above - the binding was putting the controller into inclusion mode, this was being acknowledged, but no devices were found. The inclusion process itself is solely between the controller and the device (once the binding has put it into inclusion mode).

Just looking from here it appears the controller is not always recognizing devices to be included if using our binding but it works with another software package (Domoticz). That is my concern here.
I know they use the latest openzwave for their database. I do not know if that includes the rest of their zwave code too.

Could it be related to the Z-WAVE binding’s installation process?
When I first install the binding under Addons, the spinning wheel doesn’t change to Uninstall untill I refresh the webpage. Can that somehow be related?

If you are using the PaperUI & the Chrome browser, that is common.
I usually verify the logs with frontail before assuming something is installed.

1 Like

Yes, I’m using Paper UI with Chrome.

I’m confused by what could have made the controller stop discovering the 2+2 switchbox and suddenly start discovering the 4lights. If you remember, initially the controller’s behavior was the opposite – it didn’t discover the 4lights and it did discover the 2+2.
:thinking:

No - for the same reason I said earlier -:

So your suggestion is to check with the store if the USB ZWave controller is faulty?

I’m seeing another weird behavior in OpenHAB. Maybe it’s related somehow.
I’ll try to explain every step I’m doing and seeing:

1. I start by hard resetting my USB Zwave controller.
  2. I then install a new “fresh” unopened version of OpenHAB from the 2.5.0 zip file.
  3. Run OpenHAB for the first time and choose Expert mode.
  4. Install the zwave binding.
  5. Add the USB zwave controller as a Thing.
  6. I don’t connect my switchboxes to power yet (they are completely shut down with no power).
  7. In Inbox I search for new Things to add.
  8. Even though I hard reset my USB controller and no nodes are powered ON Inbox is presumably discovering a node 2.

Is this normal for the controller to discover nodes in inbox even though the controller was hard reset and no nodes were powered on?

@chris @Bruce_Osborne

No. This is something I raised with you when you provided the first log.

What do the debug logs show?

I very much doubt that this is a bug in openHAB. It is unlikely to detect devices that are not there.

From a fresh install, I recall it takes a while for OH to get all the binding pieces and populate its local cache.

The list of devices is retrieved immediately - it’s nearly the first thing that is retrieved and the information comes directly from the controller. Full information may take longer as it needs to be downloaded from the device, but the addition of the inbox device mentioned here comes from the first information.

Since thy mentioned choosing Expert mode I assumed a new OH install. The steps you mentioned happen after all the software has been loaded & cached.

Sure - but the point I’m making is that the inbox addition is added when the binding starts and it gets the list of nodes from the controller. This happens as soon as the binding starts and doesn’t take more time.

I’m assuming the binding is s starting if it’s adding a device - unless the device is just stuck in the inbox which should not be the case as this is a fresh install.

1 Like

Problem found and solved! :slight_smile:
OpenHAB didn’t discover the switchboxes after I Hard Reset my USB controller, because, apparently, I didn’t follow the correct Node Exclusion procedure prior to the hard reset.

I went to the store today to check if the USB controller was faulty, and we found that once we performed a proper Node Exclusion with another standalone Philio ZWave controller hub we were able to discover both Switchboxes using my USB controller and OpenHAB.

So… I’m happy to close this topic and change it to SOLVED :slight_smile:
Many thanks for all your support and help @chris @Bruce_Osborne. I really appreciate it :pray::pray: