Starting from Scratch on a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB

Great, thanks. That’s my plan.
A SSD is actually ready to go on my desk.
So, thanks for the tipp. I will look into this before I start the next days (probably).

Looks ok, right?

so why SSD again ?

I know your position about it - stay with the mainstream.

However, I have bad experience with SD cards (I know zram solves this).
That’s why I changed long ago to SSD.
With my very good experience with the SSD approach, I tend to use this again.
The only issue lately (you know about), was OH and influxdb exceeding the RPi 3 memory capabilities.

Yes, that’s the latest firmware.

I’m also a big fan on running with SSD. Now with USB3 you have the speed as well as a lot storage.
Today one of my sd-cards running on my remote openhab installation went bad. Going to reinstall openhab on a new sd-card, but will go for a ZRAM installation this time.

Excellent - thank you, @lorenzopt

By the way, don’t forget to use check that the BOOT_ORDER is set to 0xf41.

Good point - thanks.

:slight_smile:

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB as well.
Downloaded the 1.6-alpha 32bit and ran it. First boot started, ZRAM failed to install, but openhab ran and i can access web ui from LAN… Then i rebooted using sudo reboot, openhab service will never start even after leaving it an hour.

Finally saw this post, and went to uninstall ZRAM using openhabian-config . Now openhab service starts automatically after reboot.

Now how do i go about installing ZRAM? I have a USB ssd coming in the mail for this…

1 Like

To use more than 4gig at a time you need the 64bit os. Zram runs on the 64bit but don’t use it until it is fully tested.

I now running the 32bit without zram. You probably won’t need it on a usb ssd as it can handle many more read writes.

Is this still true?
I would like to use zram on my RPi4 with 8GB.

No it is working now

1 Like

Excellent!
thank you very much for your quick response.

I would like to make use of this thread again, because I just started from scratch again using openhabian 1.6.5 (brand new SD-card) on a RPi4 with 8GB.

The first issue seems to be related to Wifi / comitup (?), because the ssh connection is lost after a few minutes (see log below).
I actually deactivated Wifi using openhabian-config and its correctly reflexted in the /boot/config.txt.

Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]: comitup-no-wifi - No wifi devices found
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:   File "/usr/sbin/comitup", line 11, in <module>
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:     load_entry_point('comitup==1.29', 'console_scripts', 'comitup-cmd')()
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:   File "/usr/share/comitup/comitup/comitup.py", line 148, in main
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:     cdns.state_callback,
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:   File "/usr/share/comitup/comitup/statemgr.py", line 193, in init_state_mgr
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:     conf.ap_password
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:   File "/usr/share/comitup/comitup/states.py", line 424, in init_states
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:     nmmon.init_nmmon()
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:   File "/usr/share/comitup/comitup/nmmon.py", line 187, in init_nmmon
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:     modemgr.get_ap_device(),
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:   File "/usr/share/comitup/comitup/modemgr.py", line 65, in get_ap_device
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]:     ap_device = devs[0]
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian comitup[2182]: IndexError: list index out of range
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian systemd[1]: comitup.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian systemd[1]: comitup.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jun  4 12:30:03 openhabian systemd[1]: Failed to start Comitup Wifi Management.
Jun  4 12:30:08 openhabian systemd[1]: comitup.service: Service RestartSec=5s expired, scheduling restart.
Jun  4 12:30:08 openhabian systemd[1]: comitup.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 19.
Jun  4 12:30:08 openhabian systemd[1]: Stopped Comitup Wifi Management.
Jun  4 12:30:08 openhabian systemd[1]: Starting Comitup Wifi Management...

Does this ring a bell?
The time after successful ssh login in some cases ss not even enough to remove comitup.

EDIT:
After connecting a display and KB / MS, I just recongized that the RPi is constantly rebooting.

I just found this :frowning:

It’s not easy finding a good SD-card.
In this case the SanDisk was not good enough obviously. The best experience I had so far was with Raspberry SD-card 8 GB and Samsung Pro 32GB, but these are not easy to get (anymore).
Any suggestions?

2 posts were split to a new topic: Comitup error

Try getting an SD Card with NAND Flash and ideally with an “industrial” background. I use “Silicon Power 3D NAND” and works so far - also got some year-old SanDisk also…

or - if you really want to rule out wear-outs - just use an external USB-drive (but then not an USB-Stick, because, that one is basically an SD Card wrapped in an USB-controller!) and at least move root to an external drive. openHABian lets you do that hassle-free within the openhabian-config at option 37 “Move root to USB”, and read here:

last not least (mostly untestet as of yet), you can also boot from USB (at least with Pi4s):

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your response.

I also tried an USB SSD in the past, but at least on the RPi4 I had issues with this setup.
Although I must admit, that it’s not 100% confirmed, but using a USB zwave stick AND a USB SSD lead to instability problems (network hangup) - Again, it’s not sure, that this was a causal connection or a correlation only.
See here:

I finally came to the conclusion to move OH to an intel NUC: