Steinel 140 pir

The name did change a while ago: from FGRM222 to FGR222.
Just delete the thing and readd it again.
All your setting will be left untouched.

Brilliant!

Sorry for the radio silence, I’ve had a busy weekend part of which was spent mounting this device on the wall. It’s up and working now and I can read the light value.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi,
I also have the Steinel 140 zwave. But I think it isn’t working as expected.

The luminance sensor only shows 2 the whole day and the switch und relay switch (don’t know the difference) is always on. Any one else, who have these issues? Or is it normal? Seems, that the device freezes. If I turn of the power and turn on again, it is working again.

The max luminance value is 2000, so perhaps you have some sort of division going on there? What do your items entries look like?

I agree the switches seem a bit weird. I can switch the lights on with “Switch” and off with “Power”. They only come on for the time period set though. I was expecting one switch which I could use like a normal light switch. I’ve not spent time fiddling to see if I can improve this.

I only have created items for all data point the thing have, but only you displaying at them moment. I have no rules interacting with these items. I display them all via the attached group…

Switch SwitchBinary      "Switch"                    <light>     (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:switch_binary"}
Number SceneNumber       "Scene Number"              <sensor>    (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:scene_number"}
Switch SensorBinary      "Binary Sensor"             <motion>    (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:sensor_binary"}
Number SensorLuminance   "Sensor (luminance)"        <sensor>    (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:sensor_luminance"}
Switch AlarmBurglar      "Alarm (burglar)"           <alarm>     (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:alarm_burglar"}
Switch AlarmSystem       "Alarm (system)"            <alarm>     (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:alarm_system"}
Switch AlarmBurglar1     "Alarm (burglar) motion"    <alarm>     (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:alarm_burglar1"}
Number SensorLuminance2  "Sensor (luminance)"        <sensor>    (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:sensor_luminance2"}
Switch SwitchBinary3     "Relay Switch"              <light>     (grp_pir_gart_kt)   {channel="zwave:device:xxxxxxxx:xxxxx:switch_binary3"}

Have the same problem, that freezes sometimes.
I only use the pir and not the switch or relay.

My biggest problem is that it is too sensitive, and goes on/off all the time.

Did you already try changing parameter 5?

grafik

I’ve got one of these, currently working well. I set it to work in Slave mode and to time out the motion events after 10 seconds, just using it as an external trigger to my openhab setup which then controls the relay directly. With the latest snapshot it’s working well, even the luminance sensor is working, showing 0-2000 and back at dawn and dusk but it tops out at 2000 all day – this is fine for me.

It does go off occasionally when there is no movement, this is normally due to strong sunlight, a common problem with PIR sensors.

Do you mean the device goes offline and needs to be power-cycled to bring it back? I had this too but setting the controller to the lifeline group (and no other associations set), using the latest snapshot, it’s been online for a few days now without freezing.

There is also a setting I haven’t seen before, disabling checking of the controller, which may also prevent freezing. This is bit 2 of parameter 9. I’m trying that now.

As this device seems to have some “features” that users might need to implement, can I ask someone to provide this information into the database? @tarcus - it looks like you might be heading toward the local expert status :smile:?

The database has a “Usage Information” box which is intended as a place to add information that people might find useful (or necessary!) when using the device. This is a reasonably new feature in the database, and it’s not used much (yet anyway), but the idea is to feed this into the documentation that gets generated. This way, hopefully people can find it rather than having to search through the forum, which I know can be difficult.

If people can take a few minutes to add information into this, then I think it will benefit the community :slight_smile: .

Aargh! (hides)

The only thing I’ve found so far to add over the documentation (which is what I used to set mine up) is that using it in slave mode, with the controller in the “lifeline” association group and the “Key01” association group, means I get movement on/off messages to alarm_burglar1 with an extra off (for some reason). I then control the relay directly via openhab.

While I’m happy to add something to the documentation, I don’t want to do it just yet as I’m still working out minor bugs, once I’m happy I’ve got both the polling loop sorted, the on/off alerts on motion working fully, and it can survive a network heal (my system has some devices that work before the heal but not after), I’ll throw some words together.

That’s cool - no problem, and also no pressure :wink: . I’m just trying to raise awareness of this feature in an effort to improve the overall documentation in the longer term.

Thanks.

Yep it will be helpful, particularly on devices like the Steinel which would be great if they were a bit easier to set up… So some advice from those who have gone before would certainly be useful.

My neighbours think I’m mad because I keep leaning out of my back door and waving…

You can make it act like a separate PIR, Lux sensor and relay by setting slave mode, set parameter 9 to “1” or use the new snapshot’s settings to enable slave mode and disable central controller checking. Then you can control the switch via the Power entry and use the “Time” parameter (number 1) to control how long the motion detector stays on for. At first it seems to turn the light on and off itself but quickly settles down and just sends back on/off messages to the alarm_burglar1 channel. I’ll get around to writing something up at some point.

My Steinel XLED was working quite well although I never understood why there are two luminance values while for me only luminance 2 is working. Or better was working I should say as my installation doesn’t receive any values anymore within the last four weeks - maybe in connection with upgrading to the lastest snapshots releases in this period?

I updated to the latest snapshot yesterday and it’s still working OK.

Thanks @Neil_B for the feedback. My luminance sensor value either shows 2000 or 2 with the latest snapshot.

Has anybody experiences how often the external sensor should be cleaned? Could this be the reason?

2000 is the maximum that the sensor can read. I’ll have to check the minimum reading that I get when it’s dark. It depends on how often the sensor is set to poll and how quickly it gets light in the morning to how many steps occur in the change. My next step in your situation would be to check the update interval, you can set up a rule to show what time that update happens, let me know if you need that and I’ll work out what I’m doing.

I checked the update interval and changed it from 1 day to 10 minutes.

you can set up a rule to show what time that update happens

I can see in the log that no updates arrive from this item. The question is why did it work before even with a lower polling period and what led to the malfunction of luminance in my case.

Hello everbody,

I bought myself a PIR and now I wonder:
Which parameters have you set on your PIR 140?
Which items do you use, or which ones work for you?