Support for Hörmann garage doors

In my case it is wired (although you can use Tinkerforge with radio or wifi), but you may use whatever technology you want (or already have implemented).

I’m pretty sure that is not the case. But the “normal” relay switches should work:

According to the FAQ you can use the output potential free:

7. Can I control non-potential output by the Relay Switch module?
Yes, you can – the relay is volt free by default.

So you will need supply voltage 110-240V AC (50/60Hz) for the relay.
But take extreme care: don’t connect any voltage to the inputs of the Hörmann garage door opener, you will destroy it!!! It’s a potential free input.

@jaydee73 This seems to be a good solution, even because it provides status information.

If I want to create a wireless solution only using z-wave-devices, which I would prefer because of my existing z-wave-network, going this way would mean: To get status-informations two Door Sensors would be necessary. One to get a real OPEN status and the other one to get a real CLOSED-status. (Because sometimes my garage door opener fails and door is not fully closed or open.) This is not the best solution for me either

Hhmm…? I have to think about it. Thanks.

Almost: if you are still looking for a Garadget z-wave alternative, you could use a Fibaro Double Relay Switch.
Garage door Open/Close is connected to IN and Q1 and will be switched with S1, connect a micro switch or reed contact to S2 and it will give you an output on Q2. But: You will only have one state: Garage open or Garage closed, not open and closed, at least not physically (maybe the closed position is the more important one).

Edit: I’m not sure if S2 will react on a non voltage input from a micro switch or only on an input on the voltage supply level. And it is not a good idea to switch high volts just for getting a garage door open/close state. So you might be better suited with @jaydee73 's idea …

Did anyone connect a Hormann garage door to openhab?

Yes, see above, just connect a relay to the external inputs.

Not yet, but I tried this way:
I bought a Hörmann Universalplatine UAP1 and a Fibaro RGBW controller and set it up like this:

I tried various wire connection options and controller settings. Sometimes it worked to to open and close the garage and sometimes I was able to get opened / closed status information. So in general, it should work.
But in the end, everything together did not work properly.
I gave up, because I could not properly configure the RGBW controller. Or did I have a wrong wire connection? Probably my fault, but that’s why I’m not using it now. (Didn’t have time yet to try again.)

But I still think it must be possible that way. (Sorry, german links.)

Good luck and please let me know, how you ended up.

1 Like

These solutions seem to be work around were another controller was used to control a Hörmann garage door. not really a “Hörmann garage door” thing or item.
Which worries me. yes with a relay it’s possible to open and close, that should be then based on time like with rollershutters. which is something that is feasable also with an anel hut, yet then there is no way to know if the door is shut or not. nor does it has a safety feature to stop closing when the door notices danger.

I have this: https://ing-budde.de/?product=hm-knx

And it works perfect. You can control your garage door with knx, directly - no need for the uap1 adapterplatine.

Ok, you need to have a knx installation…

You get every state of the garagedoor. The biggest hörmann-opener (Hörmann SupraMatic E Garagentorantrieb Serie 3 BiSecur) has already built in sensors for the states open/closed/move.

I don’t know which Hörmann you own, but my device just reverses direction on every click on the button (either openHAB switch or Hörmann external switch or Hörmann remote).

Two little micro switches which make contact on open or closed state do the job for me.

That is a general problem when opening or closing a door remotely without watching it. One should never do that :grinning:

I don’t know which Hörmann you own,
I don’t own one yet, I’m trying to figure out what garage door to buy with the new garage we are building.
Two little micro switches
Say more what switches you are talking about?

That is a general problem when opening or closing a door remotely without watching it. One >should never do that
I disagree, a device should be safe by design.

It can be safe when we push the button and then a kid or a pet or anything can happen to make it no longer safe, with a good design we should be able to stop a garage door from closing.

I would recommend to buy the hörmann supramatic series 3 door engine (is “engine” the right word for this?).

There are already built in sensors for open/close and you can send a command up or down directly, not only a pushbutton without knowing, which direction will be next, when you don´t see the door.

1 Like

You could use Zwave relays along with Zwave sensors to monitor the up and down position.

Very Simple…

Check out how I set this up at my home.

Squid

Sorry I have no zwave in my setup.

1. The passive house we have , gives wireless setup problems
  2. the garage is not in the house, it will be a seperate building, there will be a UTP connection, and electricity.

This year I installed in our garage

• operator “Hörmann SupraMatic P, Series 3”
  • safety light barrier “Hörmann EL 101”
  • interface “Hörmann UAP 1”

This setup is fully integrated within OH:
Available commands “open”, “close”, “toggle” and “venting”,
available status types “is open”, “is closed”, “on the move” and “somewhere stopped in the middle”.

The light barrier is wired straight to the designated terminal block within the SupraMatic and ensures safe operation. To use all the features offered by the “UAP 1” you have to connect 3 contacts and 4 relays triggered by a short pulse. So you need one more device for bridging the UAP 1 to OH. I’m using “HomeMatic wired” anyway and so I stuck to it.

@yves If you can’t use a wireless device but have LAN available - every simple “Arduino Ethernet” should do the job!

All stirred together in a virtual rollershutter item I faced the lack of a “moving garagedoor” within the garagedoor icon set, so here is my little artwork :see_no_evil:

.svg garagedoor-move
.png garagedoor-move

2 Likes

Something like this, just place them in a location where they make physical contact with the door in open or closed position. If neither contact is closed, the door is moving. If neither contact is closed for more than a few seconds, the door got stuck:

1 Like

I’m using a lot of Anel Hut’s in our house, I guess i can use that one where you use a homematic device.

when you say "connect 3 contacts and 4 relays triggered by a short pulse. "
I assume this is all connected to your homematic?
so the statusses etc, are not given directly to any Hörmann api?

Afaik there is no Hörmann API.

Yes, the SupraMatic is wired to the UAP 1 by a bus cable (RS 485 Hörmann specific protocol). And the UAP 1 is hooked up to my HomeMatic stuff. UAP 1 is a just a hardware interface. Please refer to the schematic on page 3.

1 Like

Thanks.
I understand now how we can do this.

We visited today a supplier for hormann, yet when I look at the documentation we got, we don’t see a * interface “Hörmann UAP 1”
did you buy this with your garage door?

If i’m correct the safety light barrier “Hörmann EL 101” is standard part of a "Hörmann SupraMatic P, Series 3” or at least it seems to be part of it in Belgium.

is that also so for the UAP1?

Y

In germany the light barrier is included with supramatic p series 3 too. This is the only one, which has included sensors for opened, closed and so on… With other motors, you have to use reed contacts on your own. So i would always recommend the supramatic 3.

Uap1 is an extra, you can buy this from your dealer or from the internet.

Edit:
Maybe it would be cheaper to use my knx modul from ing. Budde, see one of my previous posts… You only need a knx ip interface or taspi with tpuart knx usb stick and the ing.budde modul.

I’m not looking for cheaper.
I prefer more reliable and something where I don’t have the risk to loose warranty for a rather expensive garage door.