Support for Hörmann garage doors

Hi Yves,

when you use the Gateway, you don’t need an UAP1.
The gateway is connected to your local LAN and speakes the wireless BiSecure Protocol with the garage door. So no hardware changes required to your door, you learn the gateway the right channels / BiSecure key the same way like any other remote.
But be warned, the App they ship is really buggy and we are not yet there to replace it.
BTW The protocol implementation moved to its own github org:

1 Like

The gateway is connected to your local LAN and speakes the wireless BiSecure Protocol with the garage door.

My garage is not in our house.
yet it does have a lan connection.
Do I understand correctly that their gateway always connects to the internet?
Is there a way to turn that off?
When you talk about a buggy app, do you mean android or ios?
I did see that the implementation has moved to it’s own github repo. (I don’t understand why, yet that’s not important)

Hi,
I have integrated my Hörmann Garagedpor with an Raspbery Pi into Openhab2. That Solution is much cheeper than the gatweway one and fully integrated in Openhab2. I described it on my blog Sebastian’s Blog, but it is right now only in german language unavailable. Tell me, when you are interested in that solution. Than I can translate it.

Thanks @Sebian,
I had 4 years of German in school, yet I don’t know enough to understand your article.

I’m not so much looking for the cheapest solution. I assume that a full binding of the gateway will show much better statuses and might even work with multiple doors (We will buy a “door” for the driveway too)
I do think it makes value to translate it for other people then just me.

He bought a UAP1 and connected it to the GPIOs of a Raspi Zero (with Relais between).

But it is not finishes yet. He only can open and close the door now. There are much more sensors, which can be read out from the UAP1, this could be done in the same way (with relais, binary inputs, …)

so if I understand correctly, both implementations are not ready. (and are still being developed)

With @Sebian solution

• UAP1 + Raspberry PI per door
  • connection close to the garage door

With gateway binding

• one gateway (more expensive yet only one time) for all doors
  • gateway can be installed at a range it can “wirelessly connect to the garage door”

I haven’t found a gateway manual yet, I do get the impression the gateway send data “home” to hormann.
A) is this correct
B) is this also true for the UAP solution?

UAP1 is a simple converter, which gives you input and outputs. It is connected by wire to the hoermann bus of the garage door.

You can use whatever you want to get the states and move the door, maybe knx-actors and binary inputs, homematic actors and sensors or - like described in the blog - a raspberry pi with additional relais wired to the gpio pins.

I have a knx installation and i use the knx modul from ing. budde, this is directly connected to the hoermann bus and the knx bus. You get all states, you can control all available functions, it is working perfect. And you don´t need any additonal hardware from Hörmann.

Best of this garage door is, that you can send directly a command to open or to close.

On most of the garage doors you only can send a command to move the door. And the door will change the direction after each stop.

https://ing-budde.de/?product=hm-knx

119 €

Here you can see all my garagedoor-items:

// Hörmann Garagentorantrieb

Group	gGaragentor
Number	Garagentor_Dummy          		"Garagentor"	<garagedoor>										
Number	Garagentor_Status      			"Garagentor Status [MAP(garagentor_status.map):%s]"							(gGaragentor)
Number	Garagentor_letzter_Fahrbefehl		"Garagentor letzter Fahrbefehl 1=auf 2=zu [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"			(gGaragentor)
Switch	Garagentor_Taster	                "Tor Taster"	            											{ knx = "7/0/0" }
Switch	Garagentor_open_close                   "Tor auf-zu"															{ knx = "7/0/1" }
Switch	Garagentor_stop               		"Tor Stop"																{ knx = "7/0/2" }
Number	Garagentor_open_close_number            "Tor auf-zu"															{ knx = "7/0/1" }
Number	Garagentor_stop_number            	"Tor Stop"																{ knx = "7/0/2" }
Switch	Garagentor_lueftung            		"Tor Lüftung"															{ knx = "7/0/3" }
Switch	Garagentor_licht               		"Tor Licht"		<light>													{ knx = "7/0/4+7/0/14" }

Contact	Garagentor_status_offen			"Garagentor offen [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"	                    		{ knx = "<7/0/7" }
Contact	Garagentor_status_zu			"Garagentor zu [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"								{ knx = "<7/0/8" }
Contact	Garagentor_status_lueftung		"Garagentor Lüftung [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"							{ knx = "<7/0/9" }
Contact	Garagentor_status_bewegung		"Garagentor Bewegung [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"							{ knx = "<7/0/10" }
Contact	Garagentor_status_bewegung_auf		"Garagentor Bewegung auf [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"						{ knx = "<7/0/11" }
Contact	Garagentor_status_bewegung_zu		"Garagentor Bewegung zu [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"						{ knx = "<7/0/12" }
// Contact  Garagentor_status_vorwarnung	"Garagentor Vorwarnung [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"						{ knx = "<7/0/13" }
Contact	Garagentor_status_licht			"Garagentor Licht [MAP(garagentor.map):%s]"								{ knx = "<7/0/14" }

Hi @yves,
You are right, you need one UAP1 per garagedoor, but in both solutions. With my solution you need one Raspberry Pi per garagedoor and relays per command you plan to use in addition. I am not using an UAP1 currently, but I plan to integrate one later. The solution will be similar.
Right now:
OpenHAB2 -> HTTPBinding -> express-gpio-rest-api -> Raspberry Pi -> Relay
With this I am only able to move the door not to read any position, use the partialy open functionaltiy nor the commands down/up/stop.
But with the uap1 you can use this setup (with just add some items, relays and wires) to read the postions and use the additional comands, too.
Because I am using the HTTP Binding (which is implemented already) I do not need a special Binding.

what do you mean with

you need one UAP1 per garagedoor, but in both solutions

@thomas_letsch_de wrote

when you use the Gateway, you don’t need an UAP1.

Hi @yves,

yes, sorry. The mentioned gateway is connected directly to the bus of the garage door drive.
I am not an electician, but it may be possible to connect more then one drive with the Raspberry Pi. It depends on the possibility over how long wires a 5V signal can be used.

By the way, I have translated the article. It is available under https://fdai2003en.wordpress.com/2019/02/22/smart-garage-door-with-openhab2/

The mentioned gateway is connected directly to the bus of the garage door drive.

this confuses me even more.

what is “The mentioned gateway”, the UAP1 or the gateway?

From what I understood the gateway talks to the garage door over some proprietary wireless connection, and thus is not connected directly to the garagedoor

Hi @yves,

yes, sorry for confusing you. I opineed with “the mentioned gateway” the knx module which is connected directly. The Gateway is using the same wireless signal than the other remote controlls.

1 Like

so there are really three solutions

• UAP1 + raspberry PI (One per Garage door)
  • KNX directly
  • Gateway

We don’t have knx, zwave, and the garage is not connected to our house.

We will have a “sliding” port for the driveway, preferable using the same connection.

Sounds like the gateway + the upcoming binding will do the trick, with less electronics to the garage door.
Which I prefer as it sounds like less risk to implement, that is only software risk.

• The risk is shared, if the binding works, it will probably work everywhere, yet with hardware, I can screw it up myself.)

one question remains: do I understand correctly that the gateway always connects the garage door to the hormann server?
And that the binding will talk to the hormann back end or does it talk to the gateway and can we cut the link between the gateway and hormann server?

y

AFAIK does the gateway not always connect to the hoermann server.
Only if you want to use the app from outside and then you have to login (in the app) with your id at the hoermann server.

The binding will currently only work directly with the gateway and not with the hoermann server (this is a slightly different protocol, coming later), so you should be able to totally cut the link between the gw and the hoerman server (if any data is transferred anyway, which I doubt)

1 Like

Hi, I would like to use KNX module for my Hormann garage doors. However the module from this link - https://ing-budde.de/?product=hm-knx
seems to be out of stock, and I can’t find some e-mail or contact form to ask if it will be available again. Does someone has an idea for an alternative place to find this module, or another alternative?

Cheers

Go to the Impressum, there you will find his E-Mail adress.

Hi, Is there already a (draft) binding that is available and speaks to the Hormann Bisecur gateway? I saw some plans, but not sure about the current status? Thanks !

Where? Never seen a post about this.
I doubt this can be reverse engineered. Check the above posts, plenty of solutions to have that opener integrated into openHAB.

I saw some reverse-engineering work was done: “https://github.com/bisdk/openhab-bisdk-addon”. Don’t think there’s already a draft of a potential binding …

1 Like