Synology DiskStation

The same happend to me last weekend. I updated from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0 on my DS213+ and lost all my bindings etc.

@cniweb Is there any update manual for the Synology users? Can we use the backup, update and restore scripts from runtime/bin folder?

For the updatescript you ned unzipā€¦ synology uses normaly 7z.

you have to edit the backup script to use 7z. its a bit of a pain

@waspie @andre2308

Could either of you clarify? Is there a good post somewhere that details exactly how to backup, upgrade and restore an OH 2.* install on synology nas?

I havenā€™t been able to find one and am currently working on getting everything back up and running again :frowning:

+1 with this request!

I will try to shed some light on what i know about this process later today

1 Like

The smartest solution here is to use Hyperbackup and schedule backup jobs that way.

To use the in-built backup scripts ā€¦ crap, i donā€™t have it installed as a package anymoreā€¦

Iā€™m kind of in the middle of moving probably 200 mqtt items to the new mqtt binding. Iā€™ll get back to you on this.

I lied, I forgot I installed 2.4 on my other syno

Firstly, enable the recycle bin for the share you confs are on. thatā€™s the first line of defense. The second is to install the hyperbackup app and setup a backup schedule. the third is editing the built in backup script.
the script is located @ /volume1/@appstore/openHAB/runtime/bin
If you installed nano, use nano. If you know how to use vi, youā€™re a better man than I.
nano backup
find this line:

command -v zip >/dev/null 2>&1 || {

replace with

command -v 7z >/dev/null 2>&1 || {

find

OutputFile="$OPENHAB_BACKUPS/openhab2-backup-$timestamp.zip"

replace with

OutputFile="$OPENHAB_BACKUPS/openhab2-backup-$timestamp.7z"

find

your code goes here

find

zip -qr "$OutputFile" . || {

replace with

7z a -r "$OutputFile" . || {
2 Likes

Thanks, I think we can include the backup script with changes for synology directly in the package.

Similar edits will need done to the restore script, too. Forgot to mention that.

Hereā€™s some info on upgrading from 2.3 to 2.4.

A clean install (without changing the /smarthome/openHAB folder) resulted in the error above, so I tried to update it (it wouldnā€™t at first, so I uninstalled and tried that).

First off, I configured Hyper Backup for making sure to have a copy of my /smarthome/openHAB folder.

Updating 2.3 to 2.4 only worked after I renamed the existing openHAB config folder and restored it. This is because the tmpfs folder would not allow a proper install. Error below:

2019-01-20 23:10:25> -----------------------------------------------------------------
2019-01-20 23:10:25> called with stop
2019-01-20 23:10:25> stop: copied TMPFS to Saved
2019-01-20 23:10:25> stop: /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/userdata/logs is mounted => start unmounting /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/userdata/logs
2019-01-20 23:10:25> stop: /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/userdata/persistence is mounted => start unmounting /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/userdata/persistence
2019-01-20 23:10:25> stop: /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/tmpfs is mounted => start unmounting /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/tmpfs
2019-01-20 23:10:25> stop: directory /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/tmpfs exists => removing
2019-01-20 23:15:26> -----------------------------------------------------------------
2019-01-20 23:15:26> called with stop
2019-01-20 23:15:26> stop: copied TMPFS to Saved
2019-01-20 23:15:26> stop: directory /volume1/smarthome/openHAB/tmpfs exists => removing
2019-01-20 23:19:35> -----------------------------------------------------------------

Installed 2.3 again, without TMPFS or Zwave.

I then installed 2.4 over 2.3, with TMPFS and Zwave. Even though it returned a failed installation at the end of the package installation wizard (common issue, at least with me), it actually installed properly this time. It only ran after a second trial to start, although the HTTPS port wouldnā€™t work. HTTP did, and thatā€™s what Iā€™m using.

The upgrade was not successful in keeping the configurations. At this time, I stopped the package and rebooted the NAS because I was still having issues with TMPFS. After this I copied the config files again, and even though openHAB would now start without asking to create UI elements, it was basically empty.

In the end I had to install the Zwave binding again and subsequentially all devices.

Iā€™m wondering if using Docker would make this process easier? How does an upgrade go about in the Docker version, you download and clear the container?

pretty much, but i gave up on the docker install. Mine would stop updating items at random times between 6-18hrs every time. even with most bindings removed. I went back to the SPK install and itā€™s been solid as a rock.
That said, I think it may have been related to MQTT 1.x + 2.x that caused it but Iā€™m not certain

Thanks for the comment. Iā€™m thinking of (once again) giving up openHAB altogether and move back to Domoticz. Itā€™s not an as refined UI experience, but it is far more robust that all the issues Iā€™ve had with openHAB up until now.
I thought that the user permissions for the zwave usb dongle were the worst part in the comparison, but I was very wrong. With OpenHAB (on a Synology) configuring a scene or group can only be done via configuration files, there isnā€™t a working rules interface, events are also unavailable, the installation process is not straightforward (needs fix scripts!), it has (at least v2.3 had) memory leaking issues and - as Iā€™ve discovered just now - upgrading is a nightmare, if even possible.
The advantage with OpenHab is that it has a more refined UI experience, but even that doesnā€™t make it all that easy to use. It just looks nicer.
In writing this I canā€™t even understand why I havenā€™t moved back to Domoticz yet - other than the UI is quite ugly.

This is actually really easy with the right udev script. I finally got it right recently if youā€™d like a copy. I tried Domo but the Lua scripting thing seemed way too hard and the toy interface to make rules seemed way too restrictive.

I can help you get back on track if you want to stay committed to openhab. We can work one issue at a time until youā€™re working again as long as youā€™re patient (since Iā€™m on vacation right now).

I have it working as well, but what bugs me is that Domoticz installs from the package and although itā€™s not perfect, for the most part it works - it doesnā€™t need messing with users or having to handle weird USB permissions issues. I havenā€™t messed with LUA scripting for what I used it for, the graphical rules interface sufficed. I have quite simple usage of this and if baffles me I had to be writing code-like text files (though simple) to successfully group some things. Itā€™s not that itā€™s something I couldnā€™t do - itā€™s just that it is way too complex for something that should be simple.

But Iā€™m complaining too much. Thanks for your willingness to help. Iā€™ve setup my basics as they were before, so for now itā€™s fine, but Iā€™ll get back to you when Iā€™m up for trying to get something else going.

total noobe been working with openhab installed on a synology ds118 for a few days now, which may be my biggest mistake when trying to learn about how to do all this. i should probably break down and buy a rasberry pi and this would be a lot easier i think. i have installed the OpenWeatherMap widget on the habpanel and have the OpenWeatherMap account and weather and forecast working in paper ui, but i canā€™t figure out how to get the icon files into the proper location to install on synoloygy, they block you from anything below the home folders. i have gone through the gyrations of enabling root access with ssh and can navigate to /volume1/@appstore/openHAB/conf/html where i think the files go on the command line but not with any sftp client to browse and add files. this is a synology issue that makes me want to delete the synology install and start over with raspberry pi or run on a mac mini or MacBook. am i missing anything? thanks for any help

Use Winscp to place the files. Or whatever the Mac equivalent is. Then you have a gui. Thatā€™s how I do it on my Ds918ā€¦

i have tried cyberduck and filezilla and both return messages likeā€¦

|Error: |Received unexpected end-of-file from SFTP server|
|Error: |Could not connect to server|

did you enable root user by editing /etc/ssh/sshd_config? did you do anything special to setup access? i can now login as root via ssh from the terminal on my mac, but not browse files with sftp port 22.

are you able to access the /volume1/@appstore/openHAB/ ?

In my install the folders are in /volume1/public/openHAB/addons, /volume1/public/openHAB/conf etcā€¦

Have you followed this: https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/File_Sharing/How_to_access_files_on_Synology_NAS_via_FTP

yes, except i used volume1/SmartHome/openHAB as the install location and have very few files there. the admins, conf and other directories got installed in /volume1/@appstore/openHAB/ directories as i mentioned.

maybe i missed some option during the install process?

openhab

i ran the installer from https://github.com/openhab/openhab-syno-spk/releases/tag/2.4.0.000

crud, i think i just figured it out. this is what happens if you donā€™t follow the instructions on the next image. i didnā€™t create conf and addon folders. looks like itā€™s time to nuke and repave and try again. ugh. lol.