Synology DiskStation

Thanks for your reply.

Docker is a solution however Synology will no longer support it starting at the end of this year.
Also Docker is another package that gave me issues in the past.
I never been able to successfully install that package too.

Not correct! Docker package remains being available and supported. You refer to “Docker DDSM”, which has nothing to do with the Docker support of images like the ones for openhab.

Making openhab running with docker took me 10 min. No issues, no update problems(from my 2.4 to 2.5M6). I am running on DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 3.

So what issues did you experience with docker/openhab? Sounds strange to me.

1 Like

Here is a quick instruction, which works for me hassle free:

1. Open the Docker package
  2. Click “Registry” on the left
  3. search for openhab at the top
  4. click on openhab/openhab
  5. select the version you want(Debian image please)
  6. Click “Image” on the left after download is completed
  7. Give the Container a the Name you want
  8. Click on “Advanced Settings” in the middle
  9. Add the following settings

Attention: 40
  10. Adapt Port Settings in case you are running another openhab on the Synology in parallel.
  11. continue/ save and run the container
    open http://yourIP:8080 for initial configuration

That’s it

1 Like

If you could you may be better off using docker.
Unfortunately it continues to not work for me. I can install it no issue and it works but randomly after say 24 hours or so rules just stop working. This has happened to me going back to 2.4 and still today when I tried it again about a week ago. Its very strange and I have no idea what causes it or how to fix it. If I use the Synology package I don’t get these “crashes.”

I would love to use docker, it would make my life easier when upgrading, but I can’t use it.

Running now 4 days without problems. Do you use Time triggered rules? I am not, but many others. I saw some hints which suggests issues with that using docker.

Just FYI

cron-based rules? sure, plenty

I don’t have any of cron based rules, but plenty of others. Did all of your rules stopped working, or maybe only the cron based ones?

nah, just any rule at random. more like the rules engine gets clogged and some get through but others don’t get kicked off.

I’ve not spent extensive time figuring out what the problem is since it doesn’t happen if i use it natively and i just want it to work

agreed, but it looks that native syno support remains being not at high priority, but docker is. so better getting this one run ;-). I will inform, if my setup remains running stable or not, so that you’ll get an indicator.

After some more investigations, I am now pretty sure that your issue is related to running out of threads for your rules under several circumstances. It is reported to better merge rules, which are croned at the same time to lower the amount of threads. You may google for “openhab rules cron threads” and you’ll find the relevant hits.

This also means, that the rules in your “native” syno install may work only by chance. There is a possibility to increase the threads. Please look for that at the following link: https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/issues/5040

I guess if you increase the thread pool for the Rules, your docker setup should work fine like mine. In order to optimise your openhab in general - as I said - it is recommended to reduce the amount of cron rules(merge whatever is possible in the same rule).

Hope that helps.

additional info: you need to change all links in your userdata directory from “/volume1/
userdata/
” to “/openhab/userdata/
”

I appreciate the help but these are things long since worked through for me. I have many more threads running and have reduced Thread::sleep(s) to a minimum (maybe 3-4? not many). All links/folders are fixed when moving between installation types.
I’ve worked myself up a script recently to handle the syno-based version upgrade so I’m not too worried about it.

The only other possibility is I make my own docker image by adding nano and a couple other packages (like ssh) so that openhab can do a few execs via ssh. Perhaps that is influencing the crashes - i don’t know. not too worried about it.

While I would love to solve it, it doesn’t happen with any particular regularity and I really need it not to be happening (SWMBO) so I’m sticking with what works.

Thanks for these instructions.
My container crashes if I try to use the same network as Docker host. Is that likely to be a port conflict with another installation?

Hi.
I have made a simple video guide how to upgrade and always have the latest OpenHAB version on your Synology NAS:
https://youtu.be/-ArEEJRXVU8

BTW, inbetween the versions have advanced, but the guide is very simple. All you have to do is to find the latest link and ZIP file for the OpenHAB.

Rok Rodic
https://www.rodic.si
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOIhhPirDJH8LB0azJmd8w

6 Likes

Thank you so much! I know a lot of people will use this video. Great job!

Best, Jay

You are welcome. I am very happy to receive encouragement. Thank you. I hope it will help all of us (even me, when I forget how I did it) :slight_smile: .

Does anybody know if there will be a 2.5.1 syno package release?

hi everyone,

i’d like to install the OH v3 to my syno (214play no docker), if i know well it need Java 11, how can i install it?

thanks for the advices

anyone???

probably everyone (including myself) moved on to docker. I doubt anyone will go through the trouble to get OH3 running natively on syno, sorry.

1 Like