[TapoControl] - Control Tapo Smart WiFi-Devices with Openhab - Official Support Thread

Also for me still have the error :

2023-12-05 21:46:59.230 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P105:accountTapoCLoud:PresaTapo1' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): login failed (1111) to UNKNOWN: login failed (1111)

thanks

My Tapo P115 smart plugs finally reported yesterday that there was a firmware update available. I updated them and then changed the connection to use the KLAP protocol (using the latest snapshot binding for OH 4.0.4). They worked right away!

So maybe you can try to remove the Tapo device in the app Tapo. And then add it again. Worked for me.

I always get the same situation :

This error (api error -1) I got when I still had the market place addon installed. So could it be something went wrong installing the third party addon? I made mistake to save org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-4.0.4-SNAPSHOT-sources.jar in the addon folder instead of org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-4.0.4-SNAPSHOT.jar. After installing third party addon correctly I got error 1001 or handshake error. Then I removed the Tapo device in the Tapo app and added it again. Then in Openhab click disable and then enable the Tapo thing

So I ran into the same issues of course but I wanted to clarify what did work exactly for me, hoping it will help others.
I am using file base configuration and running OH 4.0.4.

1 - Remove the TapoControl Binding from the Binding interface
2 - Download the latest snapshot “org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-4.0.4-SNAPSHOT.jar” from here oh3_compiled-addons/ at tapocontrol · wildcs/oh3_compiled-addons · GitHub
3 - Put that file /usr/share/openhab/addons/
4 - Set file permission : sudo chown openhab:openhab /usr/share/openhab/addons/org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-4.0.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
5 - Stop openhab : sudo service openhab stop
6 - Clean cache (just in case) : sudo openhab-cli clean-cache
7 - Start openhab : sudo service openhab start
8 - Add the KLAP protocol in my configuration file (which is under advanced settings if not using files)
My configuration looks like this :
tapo.things (note that KLAP is all uppercase and it did not want to work with lowercase as seen in previous posts) :

Bridge tapocontrol:bridge:myTapoBridge “Cloud-Login” [ username=“xxxx”, password=“xxxx” ] {
Thing P110 p110SV06 “Sovol SV06” [ ipAddress=“192.168.0.9”, pollingInterval=30, protocol=“KLAP” ]
}

I had to update my tapo.items too as the channel changed (I had to add “myTapoBridge”) :

Switch TAPO_SV06 “Sovol SV06” {channel=“tapocontrol:P110:myTapoBridge:p110SV06:actuator#output”}
Number TAPO_SV06_Power “[%.2f W]” {channel=“tapocontrol:P110:myTapoBridge:p110SV06:energy#actualPower”}

I did get some error upon restarting but it did clear up automatically.
If your devices are not using the latest firmware you may have some issues too. Before doing this, I only had one device still working (the one not automatically updated). After that, it was the only one that failed. It did work immediately after a manual firmware update.

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

I have this response in log: ==> /var/log/openhab/openhab.log <==

2023-12-14 22:36:24.920 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model ‘Tapo.things’

2023-12-14 22:36:24.926 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘Tapo.things’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [5,159]: no viable alternative at input ‘“’

[5,160]: missing ‘]’ at ‘KLAP’

My Things file is this:

tapocontrol:P105:myTapoBridge:mySocket          "My-Socket"     (tapocontrol:bridge:myTapoBridge)   [ ipAddress="192.168.1.205", pollingInterval=30, protocol=“KLAP” ]

Youre quotation marks ‘’ are looking different than at ip-address?

on KLAP?

Hi There,

Newbee in here.

Running 4.0.4 on ubuntu 21.04

Just did exactly mentioned as above. But the addon does not show up on paper UI /things/+…

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Hi

Please can I check if the Smart Contact Sensor (T110) is supported by this binding?
I have one of these T110 sensors but I cannot get it to work (it has no IP address on my network and seems to communicate through the hub so is it expected to work with this binding?)

If I try to add a Thing manually it doesn’t seem to pick up the bridge…

Note I have a number of Tapo bulbs which are working well with this binding

Thanks
Steve

Will there be a fix so this whole workaround is not needed in the near future?

@Marco_Badano
yes on “KLAP”

@hayta78
Maybe the path on ubuntu is another. check how to install bindings manually for your system and use the correct version of the binding.

@SteveBuckell
T110 should be discovered by the hub automaticly…
So if the hub is working and it should come into inbox. If you ad it manually you need to configure the hub as bridge.

@Wyskens
Fix will be applied if the PR will be merged.

3 Likes

Hi Chris,

Checked inbox - Nothing there.
A Thing Scan doesn’t find anything either.

Sensor is found by Tapo App and is connect to the hub. I see notifications in Tapo App for connections / disconnections.

Does the contact sensor need to be in setup mode (flashing LED) to be found by the binding?
Any logging I can turn off to aid debugging?

Thanks
Steve

Just updated from OH 4.1.0M4 to final OH 4.1.0.
I removed the 4.1.0 SNAPSHOT.jar from add-on folder which fix the Secured KLAP HTTP Protocol issue in 4.1.0M4.
I assumed in final 4.1.0 this fix is included but after upgrade and reinstalled the original 4.1.0 binding, this feature disappeared again :frowning:
Did I miss anything ?

Please check the release notes. The open PR is not merged and therefore not listed.

I cannot install the jar-file in my docker-container (version 4.10). I tried it in den addons-folder and with bundle:install in openhab-cli.

The message for “bundle:install …/addons/org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar”:

Bundle IDs:
Error executing command: Error installing bundles:
Unable to install bundle …/addons/org.openhab.binding.tapocontrol-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Error reading bundle content.

What can I do?

I just copied the add on into the addons folder that all.

grafik

Thanks, I copied the file manual and it works. Cloud-Login is online. I found my P115, add the IP-Adress and set protocol to KLAP.

The thing did not go online. The message from logfile

Thing ‘tapocontrol:P115:TapoBridgeCloud-Login:xxxxxxxxxxxx’ changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): @text/no-error

The tapo-app on my phone works and I see my P115.

I need your help again.

I have the same issue after upgrade to OH4.1 and add this binding (copy it into the add-on folder like described on github).

Problem is that the add-on from the add-on package is registered in OH. Do following steps :

sudo openhab-cli console
… enter the password of the openhab account - mostly habopen
list -s
… search for the tado add-on and the id-number in front of the entry
bundle:uninstall xxx
… xxx is the id number
logout

then stop the openhab service and clear the cache

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab/cache/*
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/openhab/tmp/*

start OH service again.

bests