The "new" Milight IBox and milight binding

New here and to Opensource projects after recently retiring. So please guidance as needed if I am out of bounds. My ultimate goal is to build a binding for Pioneer SC-LX501. Planned steps on the way were to get a few things setup and then move on to determining how the bindings are built. My immediate next step is to install eclipse and find the documentation on building bindings. I am also expecting an ESP8266 and assorted goodies in the mail tomorrow to play with SimonFlei binding as well. However, if it helps - I am getting this in the logs
==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2019-02-22 15:38:38.323 [ERROR] [nal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler] - An error occurred while calling method ‘ThingHandler.handleCommand()’ on ‘org.openhab.binding.milight.internal.handler.MilightV6RGBCWWWHandler@13fe0d13’: null
java.lang.NullPointerException: null
at org.openhab.binding.milight.internal.handler.AbstractLedV6Handler.sendRepeatableCat(AbstractLedV6Handler.java:212) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.milight.internal.handler.AbstractLedV6Handler.setBrightness(AbstractLedV6Handler.java:96) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.milight.internal.handler.AbstractLedHandler.handleCommand(AbstractLedHandler.java:139) ~[?:?]
at org.openhab.binding.milight.internal.handler.AbstractLedV6Handler.handleCommand(AbstractLedV6Handler.java:202) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.InvocationHandlerSync.invoke(InvocationHandlerSync.java:59) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy125.handleCommand(Unknown Source) [208:org.openhab.binding.milight:2.4.0]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.ProfileCallbackImpl.handleCommand(ProfileCallbackImpl.java:75) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.internal.profiles.SystemDefaultProfile.onCommandFromItem(SystemDefaultProfile.java:49) [109:org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing:0.10.0.oh240]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:?]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:?]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.AbstractInvocationHandler.invokeDirect(AbstractInvocationHandler.java:153) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at org.eclipse.smarthome.core.internal.common.Invocation.call(Invocation.java:53) [102:org.eclipse.smarthome.core:0.10.0.oh240]
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]

Looks like a serious bug. Unfortunately I do not have time to fix that in the very near future, as I’m busy with another openHab part. Because you are a new user, I cannot expect you to fill a bug report, can I?

Cheers, David

I can do that - I saw that button today!

David -
Those Java error were due to be adding the bulb thing without marking the bridge. My mistake. If there is not one already - I can capture the logs and versions of everything a create a pull request for the binding and apparently v1.0.08 of the bridge not successfully marrying the globes. Offer woould include testing as well.
Apologies for the mistake

@David_Graeff

I stumbled across this and thought it may be useful, it is a JAR file with instructions on how to use it for sniffing the traffic between a ibox1/2 and the milight app. It will display the keep alive packets Milight uses and more. See post number 6…

Hi @David_Graeff,
could you maybe give me some hints where to start and what to change?
I found the classes MilightV6SessionManager and BridgeV6Handler, but can’t where the changes should be made.
I’m new to openhab and bindings development, so please forgive my stupid questions. :slight_smile:
Simon

@MickPB

That’s not neccessary, you can try the Onkyo binding. (There was a fusion of Onkyo and Pioneer in 2015) See also this topic.

Thanks Celaeno. It works perfectly1

So whrere can I download the latest build?^^
Thanks

hi

I really need a bit of help on this because mi light binding is not picking up the zones on openhab 2.5.1 on the new blinding.
do you want any logs?

hope to hear back from you

From Oliver

Most people are using the EspMilightHub which works great. You have posted in multiple threads so I know you have seen it, you just need to read, learn and use it.

1 Like

I looked it up and it looks like it’s a new bridge you can put this flimware https://blog.christophermullins.com/2017/02/11/milight-wifi-gateway-emulator-on-an-esp8266/248/

What parts do you used for EspMilightHub

thanks I have done the bridge also setup with mi light flimware

but how do I connect to openhab openhab is not picking it up?

Stuck at the very beginning:
Ihave the ibox2 with 2 rgb led stripes. I can add the box correctly but i dont see any channels i could use nor can i add new things…

Hello dear people,

I am using the Smart Stripe Controller (WL5). I can control it via the MiBoxer app. Is it possible to control it via the Milight Binding? What can I do to integrate this exotic LED controller into OH3?

Regards

41Eun4DUWJS.AC

I don’t know this particular hardware but

if you can control it via the app you should be able to control it with the milight binding. Doesn’t the milight binding find the device? What happens when you enter the IP of the device manually in the config?

Hello Felix

I tried. Unfortunately without success.

Unfortunately, the binding does not find it automatically.

Sorry I did not enter the bridge ID. The Milight Bridge (iBox) is now in “CONFIGURATION_PENDING” → “SESSION_WAIT_FOR_BRIDGE” mode.

I could be wrong but discovery is not supported in the Milight binding as the RF protocol is 1 way. Things have to be added manually via the GUI or textual. There is a note about LED strips but that probably does not apply anymore, in your case you would add a “rgbwLed” as the binding wont know what it is, only what type of remote it is emulating.

There is another way to control them with the ‘EspMilightHub’ binding and MQTT. This alternative way will control the LED strips so long as one of the supported remote types works with your LED strip. This has auto discovery and more features like the controls moving in openHAB when you use the physical remote.

EspMilightHub - Bindings | openHAB

Thanks for your answer. But I’m looking for an easier way. :slight_smile:
Does anyone know the programmer of the Milight Binding?

I can confirm this 1 works with this model. If you use the ESPmilighthub.