The Stable (Release) Linux repositories have changed location

Hi All,

As mentioned in the 3.0.2 announcement thread, Bintray - the service we used to host the Stable Linux packages will be halted at the end of the month, as a result we have had to switch to use Artifactory for our Stable repository, as we do for the milestones and snapshots.

The last release on Bintray will be 3.0.2, anyone who updates to it will automatically have their apt, yum or dnf repositories pointed towards the new location, so if you update before May there’s nothing for you to do and you will get the next stable update available to you when it is released.

What you will need to do:

If you updated before May 1st and are using 3.0.2, then you will not need to do anything and the next stable release will be available to you from Artifactory when it is released. Otherwise, after April you will need to do the following:

openHABian users can use the usual menu (40->41) to switch to the Stable repository again to point towards the new location.

Those not using openHABian, but are otherwise using apt/yum/dnf packages just need to change the sources file to point to the new location, the specific details are in the Linux Documentation. You will not need to install a new signing key as this is the same.

Previous versions on Artifactory

We need to be careful with space, but a few previous versions of openHAB are available from the new repository in case there are those that still need them. This includes 2.5.3, 2.5.12, 3.0.0 and 3.0.1. We will try to keep at least the last two major stable versions OH3 hosted so that you can downgrade for any reason.

Using 2.5.12 after May 1st

By default, openHAB downloads addons from the internet, which is Bintray for the stable releases. This means you will also need to install the offline addons file in order to install addons (make sure you’ve switched to the Artifactory repository using the documentation linked above):

# Pick the line depending on your package manager
sudo apt install openhab2-addons
sudo yum install openhab2-addons
sudo dnf install openhab2-addons

Future plans:

It’s my intention to have all .deb or .rpm packages contain public key and the repository information, this way the only steps you need to follow for installing openHAB on Linux is to download the installer file and run it with apt, yum or dnf.

FAQ:

Q. I’m getting the following error, how do I fix?

Err:5 https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable InRelease
  403  Forbidden [IP: 3.125.168.216 443]
Reading package lists... Done
E: Failed to fetch https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2/dists/stable/InRelease  403  Forbidden [IP: 3.125.168.216 443]
E: The repository 'https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable InRelease' is no longer signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

A. You’ve likely still got a Bintray reference in one of your APT sources files (/etc/apt/sources.list.d/*), simply remove the line/file and check that you’ve followed the steps in the documentation.

Please feel free to ask questions about the Linux packages in this thread.

Kind Regards,
Ben

7 Likes

It seems you have updated the URLs on the openhab documentation but not on openhab 2. Eventually I found the first ones though, and they do seem to work with openhab2.

1 Like

Good point, I’ll try to apply the same changes there too! Thanks!

1 Like

@Benjy
It looks like the OH2 doc is still pointing to bintray. Could you please post the correct entry for /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list to allow apt to maintain my OH2.5.12 installation?
I’ve already started to setup a new Raspi for OH3, but as I have a big bunch of devices in my OH2 installation and won’t like to break my home automation, it will take a while to move the devices and update the rules.
Thanks jan

Hi @wessjan, sorry. I did submit a PR to correct the OH2 docs but it looks like they haven’t been applied.

The instructions for OH2 sources are the same for OH3, that is:

echo 'deb https://openhab.jfrog.io/artifactory/openhab-linuxpkg stable main' | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.list
2 Likes