Tradfri 1.8.25 - offline - communication_error

Agreed it is a pain, but the way I have always taken the config is like this, if done via GUI 2 things happen. 1 you never really learn how the system works so when things like this happen you are unable to fix, 2 I have my setup on my VMH host and i must have reinstalled it 50 times for one reason or another. set up openhab copy over my config files and boom my house works!! The backup and setup is easy as pie through .config files.

But as said before its not a bug, personally I think Ikeia have done a good thing and made it more secure. So we have to do some extra steps to make it work, granted the wiki needs updating to reflect these changes but other than that its all good. Try to remember that the sort of person that has openhab are in one way or another the type of person that likes to tinker and problem solve, and yes it can be frustrating but some how kinda fun don’t you think?

Well I disagree.

1. It worked with just the code before the 1.8.25 upgrade for both paperui and config-file setups
  2. Today (at least with openhab 2.4.0) there are issues with both paperui and config-file setups. When Tradfri gateway reboots (e.g. due to power outage) the pre shared key and identity get invalid. At least the binding will not connect anymore. In paperui I then need to remove pre-shared key and identity and add the code again. This results in new identity and pre-shared key being “generated” and the binding goes online again.

So even the paperui way is not very convenient anymore.

That’s true I also noticed this behavior.
Workde fine until 1-2 days ago.
Now binding is almost impossible as pre shared key and other stuff changes with each new “discovery”

At the moment (as a beginner) I am almost lost and think to switch to the hue bridge - as it supports the tradfri and other brands as well.

1 Like

I have ditched the ikea gateway too
Using both HUE and deconz instead.

1 Like

Still can return my Tradfri Hub, so your answer finalized my decision :wink:

My 2 cents here.

ah not so fixed then… only rebooted openHAB not gateway… not a happy bunny now… perhaps hue bridge it is then… did I hear something about the ikea remotes not working with hue though??

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hue/comments/7sg5vv/add_trådfri_remote_to_hue_setup/

I solved part of the problem: my gateway is online now, thanks to the modification of the things file with the identity property, but none of my lightbulb is no longer responding.
when i use the ikea application by changing the intensity i see the change in openhab but openhab does not have control over it, when i turn it off through OH nothing happens

I resolved it by turning on all lights manually, then reboot the gateway, then the app ask me to rescan the serial number…For helping

I am curious if this will be fixed in the plugin in the next upcoming release maybe?

As now none of my lights are working properly as they are all ikea based.

(there is also some other unrelated z-wave bug, but these two issues took down pretty much 95% of my automation and openhab system)

You can ask this question on the git repository. I believe an issue has been filed.

As for lights not working if you follow the steps and update your files it should all work.

Which version are you running? I’m running 2.5 Snapshot (S1602 think) and I don’t have these problems. There have been some fixes, maybe some of them fix your problems, too. I still recommend to define things in PaperUI, much less pain than with the config files.

Thanks, I am on binding-tradfri - 2.4.0 (latest stable, with 2.4 openhab)
I do have all things defined from paperUi, only items are configured from config files.
To be honest, I am not 100% sure this is my exact problem, as I had to do some “life” things since, but I do recall that if I update keys again in paperui, it would start working for a while, but unpredictably.
(sometimes it would start working on its own, but again unpredictably).
As mentioned, I hope new stable release will have this fixed as well, not sure why I am reluctant to go to other channels then stable (well I think it is because a lot of recent updates broke something, I remember mqtt and some other things… )

1 Like

Tested with 2.5.0 M1 : still have the issue

EDIT
Same with snapshot.
From what I can see, the things get a default value for preSharedKey which is equal to code. Seems strange for me. identity stays empty.

Interesting. Config-File or PaperUI?

Config file.

Has anyone already received the Tradfri update to version 1.8.26?
Since then it has stopped working for me.
In the debug log I see the following messages:
08:42:15.588 [DEBUG] [g.tradfri.internal.TradfriCoapHandler] - CoAP error 4.04 08:42:17.210 [DEBUG] [g.tradfri.internal.TradfriCoapHandler] - CoAP response options: {} payload: Not Found

My gateway received the update and everything is working as before…

1.8.26 works for me, but have to reset the security code every day or so.