Upcoming 1.8 Release


i’d like to discuss the schedule for the upcoming 1.8 release with you, then maintainers @Kai, @watou, @steve1, @chris, @theo, @guessed, @hakan, @teichsta, @belovictor before announcing the schedule "officially. Kai and me would like to suggest the Jan. 11th 2016 as release date.

What do you think?

To achieve that schedule we would have to agree on some dates counting backwards from Jan 11th:

  • Code Freeze (no more Major changes are accepted) (Dec. 16th, 2015)
  • Last Review (Dec 23rd, 2015)
  • Incorporating Feedback (Dec 30th, 2015)
  • Release Candidate Build (Jan 3rd, 2016)
  • Final Release (Jan 11th, 2016)

As we most likely won’t be able to finalise every review we will have to prioritise the unreviewed PRs (somehow) and hope for understanding of those contributors whose binding won’t make it into 1.8.

What do you think folks?

Best, Thomas E.-E.

I’m on board to help meet those dates, but I worry that there not be enough time between Release Candidate and Final Release since there have been so many PRs since 1.7.1 and it’s the holidays. I don’t have your historical knowledge of prior releases to guide me, though.

you might be right, although many PRs are regarding specific addons which won’t be tested by others (who don’t have the according hardware in place) anyways, right?

I was thinking more about changes to core and UI since 1.7.1, since I think relatively few run nightly builds. But honestly experience counts more than my theoretical concerns. :smile:

Jesus, work is pretty crazy right now. I’m preparing a PR with lots of enhancements for the TinkerForge binding, I have to rename the influxdb1 and influxdb bundles, incorporate the recently released influxdb-java 2.1 lib and I’m awaiting @teichsta’s feedback on my fixes for the dropbox binding. I’m pretty sure I will need some extra days - hopefully latest the Dec 20th.
I’m away from Jan 3rd until Jan10th, if you @teichsta need assistance for the apt repo bintray release it would be better to finally release (the apt repo?) Jan 12th.

will follow-up on this soon!

this first idea was to release on Sunday but then Kai mentioned correctly that experience taught that i didn’t release earlier than around 0:00 am so we decided to switch to Monday. I’ll do my best to get the apt-repo working. Probably you could review your notes under https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/How-to-release-openHAB if they still apply?

fyi: i’ve created the intermediate/raw 1.8 release notes which comes directly from the Github API. I will cleanup this version tomorrow when i’ve finished/merged the last issues.

1 Like

@maintainer i’ve created the 1.8 branch right now. It is the basis for the RC build being busy at https://openhab-ci.innoq.io/jenkins/view/openHAB/job/openhab-1-rc right now (unfortunately or Cloudbees account does not allow any more builds due to diskspace restrictions).

From now on any changes should be cherry picked onto the 1.8 branch to keep the release build under control and free from the ongoing development. I refused from changing the version right now but i am open to discuss if you like.

So the last commit that were merged before creating the branch is

right? Just asking because I see only a “openhab-1” build on https://openhab-ci.innoq.io/jenkins/job/openhab-1 and that build already contains other commits.

correct … something went wrong with the rc build wich i have to fix tonight.

unfortunately the fix took longer … the build is now available :sweat:

Would be great to gain feedback from the community!

Best, Thomas E.-E.

Thank you very much, Thomas! Would it be possible to prepare the release candidate to bintray under “testing” so people can test the full installation process on Linux?

echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo testing main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

good point! @theo could you probably help with this?

I can take care of this tonight. This is URL of the RC1 package build: https://openhab-ci.innoq.io/jenkins/job/openhab-1/ws/distribution/target/apt-repo/?

Would be great! Thanks a lot!


The “testing” apt repository is online! Testers have to use this line in their sources.list file:

deb http://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo testing main

Install openHAB 1.8.0.RC1 with:

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Have fun ;-),


great work, thanks @theo!


Is there a reason why there is no io-caldav binding in the current (last successful) 1.8.0 addons-file in Jenkins? In the apt repository there is such a file.



it looks like the FritzBox TR064 Binding is missing from the repository.

Can you include it, too?



Not yet possible. See here.