I am using the InfluxDB binding now for quiet a while. Unfortunately, there is no way to add additional tags to my saved data. As I understand the concept of InfluxDB, data points from different, but similar sources are written in the same measurement, and separated by tags. So for example the data from all my temperature sensors gets stored in one measurement. Later, I can query them by room, by manufacturer of the device, by item name, by charge number, or by whatever tag I have added. This also simplifies the creation of dashboard in Grafana, as I can say “Show me all data from measurement x, grouped by room / item name / whatever”. When I add new temperature sensors, I do not have to modify my graphs, alerting rules, etc.
So I have updated the InfluxDB binding from addons1 to the OpenHAB 2 ecosystem. These are the changes:
- Add ability to add custom tags through item metadata
- Add ability to add predefined tags through config
- Fix bug that when using an alias name for the item, querying the database for that item was broken
- Configurable through UI (and file, of course)
- Update to the newest InfluxDB-java library with all of its dependencies
- Add option to replace underscores “_” in item names / alias names with points “.”
- Some minor bug fixes
The current work can be found here: https://github.com/dominikkv/openhab2-addons/tree/influxdb-neo
What we need to discuss is the following:
- Name & namespace. I have used
org.openhab.persistence.influxdblike the old one, is that OK?
- How to add this to addons2? Just a simple PR?
- Are there other feature wishes?
- Are there other points you’d like to discuss?
I’m happy to hear your opinions