Use an IKEA outlet as a zigbee repeater

Platform information:

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4

Java Runtime Environment:
openjdk version “11.0.9” 2020-10-20 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.43+88-CA (build 11.0.9+11-LTS)
OpenJDK Client VM Zulu11.43+88-CA (build 11.0.9+11-LTS, mixed mode)

openHAB version: 3.0.0 Release Build

Issue of the topic:
I have a set of Xiaomi humidity and temperature sensors. They are sending their data to a CC2531 stick attached to the Pi. Data gets handed over to zigbee2mqtt and from there to openhab. So far this went well and stable.
However, I had to move and now the sensors are too far apart. I need a repeater. For that pupsose I have bought an IKEA Tradfri outlet, that is known to work as a zigbee repeater.
My problem is, that I don’t know how this is working from a topology point of view. What devices do I have to register where? Can I just pair the sensors with the outlet and expect things to work from there? Or do I have to connect the outlet to the CC2531 stick first, then connect the sensors to the outlet and expect things to work? Or do I have to make even further modifications to the configuration of my openhab server?
All posts I have found were not able to provide me with the whole picture of where I need to change what.
My openhab configs have been made using the UI whever possible. (I am lazy. :slight_smile: )
Can anyone give me a sketch on how to proceed?
So far I have tried to pair the outlet with the sensor by pressing the sensor button until it goes to pairing mode, but the outlet doesn’t seem to recognize the sensor. (The lights at the outlet shoud react flashing, but they don’t.)
Any helping hand / brain is appreciated!
Best
Carsten

That’s exactly right. There’s nothing to describe because the devices will sort themselves out.
I have 4 temperature sensors also from xiaomi, and as i add zigbee routers the clients will connect to the newly added routers automatically.

Edit: expressed myself incorrectly. Fixed it :slight_smile:

Hi Pedro,

thanks for your quick reply.
What exactly is right? Let me maybe post a set of specific questions to refer to:

1. Do I need to register the router (the outlet) on the openhab server, before it can play its role as a router? (I assume yes)
  2. Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks again!

Carsten

1 Like

If you are using the tradfi routers (the ones that look like a smartphone charger) then you just need to pair it with the zigbee network :slight_smile: that’s all, because that router doesn’t do anything else. I wouldn’t even bother to sync it with openHAB because it has no other function:
It’s a charger and broadcasts the zigbee network.
Then you place it in between the temperature sensors and the coordinator (the zigbee stick which I use is the sonoff one with the metal casing and an upgraded antenna) and the sensors will eventually connect to it by themselves.

Thanks, I‘ll give that a try. I actually have the outlet and not the standalone repeater. While I‘m at it it might be worth to add the outlet to openhab as well to have some switchable outlet available. :blush:

1 Like

Hi all,
I just wanted to update this thread and state how I actually solved the problem:
Since the Zigbee repeaters from IKEA were not available when I tried to do this, I got a Trådfri outlet, which is Zigbee compatible (this is actually never explained anywhere in the product details, but the IKEA support knew about it). I registered that outlet at the Zigbee controller and placed it in between the Zigbee sensors, which were out of reach for the coordinator and the coordinator itself. Works like charm. :+1: I actually never tested, whether the repeater function also works when the outlet is not registered at the controller. I was too curious to see the outlet in action. :wink:
Now one of my outlets in the corridor ist Zigbee capable (an added bonus), but the key thing is, that it actually works as a repeater on top.
Thanks a lot for the replies!
Carsten

Excalibur2404, is it possible to paste the link to that Tradfri outlet? I also have Xiaomi sensors that going out of range now. Previously I had two CC2531 routers, but one was recently broken. Rather than getting the CC2531 router again, I might consider buying the Tradfri outlet as it might be easier to buy at IKEA. I use Zigbee2mqtt though; hopefully it works with that as well. Thanks.

Hope you accept me instead :slight_smile:

This one works.

This one also works though it’s getting harder to find over here:

The best way is for you to check that website above.

Edit:
Based on a pm I got, it seems the ikea repeater plug now gives an error “non standard cluster” not sure if the zigbee protocol grew away from these older ikea repeater plugs, or the openHAB zigbee binding removed its compatibility.
Because I’m no longer using these plugs I cannot verify. At this point I’d no longer suggest the use of these older plugs with the standard openHAB zigbee binding if they are really no longer work. Better to look for another zigbee 3.0 compliant repeater solution instead.

1 Like

Do you know if the signal repeater and the outlet have better range than other Zigbee devices? I am assuming yes.

Hi yfaway,
the Trådfri outlet is this one:

Best
Carsten

I have no baseline for a comparison. However I am quite satisfied with the extension. If necessary you can get two and place them in sequence, so that they chain up to extend your network.

1 Like

My zigbee network. As long as you have enough devices powered from mains everithing will be fine.

1 Like