VS Code: live Item hover works in DSL files but not in JS scripting files

I use file-based JS scripting (conf/automation/js) for many of my rules,
and the openHAB VS Code extension for editing.

One feature I miss there: hovering over an Item name to see its current state.
It works in .rules, .items, .things and .sitemap, but not in a .js file - the
extension only treats files with the “openhab” language id as openHAB content,
and a .js file is plain JavaScript to VS Code.

For me this is the single most useful feature of the extension. While writing a
rule I constantly want to check what an Item is actually called and what it
currently holds, and in JS I have to switch to MainUI or to the Items explorer
in the sidebar for that.

Changing files.associations is not a workaround: it costs all JavaScript
support and fills the file with syntax errors.

My questions:

  1. Is there an existing way to get Item hover (or go-to-definition) in JS
    scripting files that I have missed? I already use npm i openhab for API
    completion, which helps for the library but not for my own Items.

  2. If not, would it be feasible for the extension to also look for Item names
    inside .js files under conf/automation/js? A simple word-under-cursor lookup
    against the Item registry would already be enough - it does not need to
    understand JavaScript syntax.

  3. Is the VS Code extension still the recommended editing route for file-based
    JS scripting, or is there another setup people use?

Setup: openHAB 5.2.0 in Docker, file-based items/things/rules plus JS scripting,
VS Code with the openHAB extension and the language server on port 5007.

Happy to open a feature request on GitHub - openhab/openhab-vscode: VS Code extension for openHAB configuration files · GitHub if that is
the better place - I wanted to ask here first in case this is already solved.

Install

Download: