Wake-on-LAN

logo

This library adds a block to wake a Network device with a Wake-on-LAN packet. You need the Network binding installed and a configured device Thing. If you wish to use the MAC method, you should also provide the MAC address in the thing configuration.

Blocks

This block will send a Wake-on-LAN packet to the specified network device, which you can select in a popup by clicking inside the thing block. Only choose a Network device when picking the thing.
Watch out for log messages if the operation doesnā€™t seem to work, for instance:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot send WoL packet because the 'macAddress' is not configured for network:servicedevice:mycomputer

Changelog

Version 0.1

• initial release

Resources

uid: wol
tags: []
props:
  parameters: []
  parameterGroups: []
component: BlockLibrary
config:
  name: Wake-on-LAN
slots:
  blocks:
    - component: BlockType
      config:
        type: send_wol
        message0: send a Wake-on-LAN packet via %1 to wake %2
        args0:
          - type: field_dropdown
            name: METHOD
            options:
              - - MAC
                - Mac
              - - IP
                - Ip
          - type: input_value
            name: DEVICE
        previousStatement: ""
        nextStatement: ""
        inputsInline: false
        colour: 0
        tooltip: ""
        helpUrl: ""
      slots:
        code:
          - component: BlockCodeTemplate
            config:
              template: >
                {{utility:things}}.getActions('network', {{input:DEVICE}}).sendWakeOnLanPacketVia{{field:METHOD}}();
        toolbox:
          - component: PresetInput
            config:
              name: DEVICE
              type: oh_thing
              shadow: true
  utilities:
    - component: UtilityJavaType
      config:
        name: things
        javaClass: org.openhab.core.model.script.actions.Things
6 Likes

Thank you very much. Iā€˜m using it already and itā€˜s working perfectly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear it! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi Yannick,

thank you very much for this binding, thats very cool and helpfull.
I have one problem and iā€™m stuck with it. I have a Ubuntu server which is not necessary to run 24/7. With my Openhab3 i would like to start it, which is working under some circumstances as followed.
I have a Openhab 3 Instance (3.2.0) running at a windows server VM on Ubuntu 18.04, installed via openhabian, which is running fine and without any problems so far. Actually i updated to 3.3 but the Problem seems to stay.
When i shut it down and send the ā€œmagic Packetā€ via Openhab within a few Minutes after the shutdown, the WOL works perfectly fine and the server start booting.
If i wait for example for more then 30 minutes and send the WOL packet from openhab, the server does not wake up any more.
If i send the WOL package from my pfSense firewall or straight from the router 30minutess later or more, the server respond straight ahead and start booting. I donā€™t have any error messages inside the logs. Iā€™ve implemmented the IP and MAC magic packet option inside the same rule to try both at the same time, but nothing changed. Iā€™ve already tryed to send the magic packets multiple times with a delay in between, but no success. Iā€™ve configured the server as a networkdevice, and selected port 9 inside the networkdevice binding settings to make sure the packet will send on the right port.
Do you have any idea or recommended settings for the binding i could try?
I would appreciate you help and/or feedback on that.

Regards Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Unfortunately I cannot help you with this issue, as this is just a Blockly script block that calls the Rule Actions of the Network binding:

You might want to open an issue on GitHub (Issues Ā· openhab/openhab-addons Ā· GitHub) to have the right people be aware of it and eventually have a look at it.

Thank you very much Yannick for youā€™re reply.
I will do it like you said.
Regards Marcel

Hello everyone. I want to report an issue. I have been using this library for about a year without any problems. A few days ago I switched to OpenHAB 4.0.0 and also had to update Java to do so. Now the library no longer works and from the logs I get this message:

07:57:14.832 [ERROR] [ript.internal.ScriptEngineManagerImpl] - ScriptEngine for language 'application/javascript' could not be found for identifier: fc9a93c9-1d60-40a5-9d2b-077384451479

Doing a search on this same forum I found this:

The explanation then could be that the script needs to be updated to work with Java 17. This is my guess, I do not consider myself an expert but just a simple user of OpenHAB.

In the meantime I will find another solution, probably using the Exec binding and sending the command directly from the system. But I would like to return to this library. Thank you!!!

I Still see Version 0.1 in the Add-on Store so I believe using it on OH > 4.0 will not work?